advertisement

Preamp paint damage

Cícero Shmidt

pfm Member
I own a Sherbourn Pre-1 preamp from the company before Emotiva and I really like it.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently cleaned the RCA outputs with isopropyl alcohol and removed some of the ink.

I would like to know, please, if it is possible to fix it. It's a black spray coat

Different question, I know. Would greatly appreciate the help.

Ps: how can I post a picture?

Best regards.
Cicero Schmidt

Yes, it would be possible to re-paint or touch up the paint , personally if it's unseen and I presume on the back panel I wouldn't bother. If it's only a little paint removed it could be touched up with an artists paint brush of preferably an airbrush for a professional finish.

imgbb is easier...

Here it goes like this:

9YfFhCK

You’re never going to get that perfect unless you have access to the original kit to re-do the screen printing (not possible). You could get it tidy by removing the back panel (if possible) or removing the boards masking everything off apart from the damaged area, rub it down with wire wool and spraying it with something like this, https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/lubrica...f5W8AvhU7C0v8wnhqJafDvi_pyhcLT4xoCFdIQAvD_BwE
It won’t be perfect and you’ll see the line, but I don’t think there’s much else you can do.

The rear panel is not visible in use. Just leave it be, and don't sweat it.

Are you sure you used isopropyl alcohol rather than acetone?

Yes, it was the alcohol. I personaly bought it in a drugstore.

I feel really bad about this. It was an new old stock. The pramp was brand new years after it was produced and perfect in my hands, util now...

The rear panel is not visible in use. Just leave it be, and don't sweat it.

Are you sure you used isopropyl alcohol rather than acetone?
I did think that too. I’ve seen isopropyl remove screen printing ink but not paint. Using solvents to clean HIFI is generally a bad idea. If using them on contacts, keep them well away from painted surfaces and definitely away from screen printing.

Yes, it was the alcohol. I personaly bought it in a drugstore.

I feel really bad about this. It was an new old stock. The pramp was brand new years after it was produced and perfect in my hands, util now...
Gutted for you buddy, it’s a real shame. If you’re going to re-paint it, take your time.

I once managed to scratch the display window on a brand new Sony camera… and make it ten times worse trying to get the scratch out. I felt horrible about it but thankfully managed to get a genuine new display window from Sony and fitted a screen protector immediately after fitting it. I still have the camera now in mint condition in its leather case.

Halfords Plastic Bumper Paint maybe be a good ideia..the amp has 3 shades os black. i'll have to test

The emotiva words about it were:

"The front panel is not paint, but an anodyne.
The top cover is a textured paint
The rear panel is a smooth finish"

Last edited:
Gutted for you buddy, it’s a real shame. If you’re going to re-paint it, take your time.

I once managed to scratch the display window on a brand new Sony camera… and make it ten times worse trying to get the scratch out. I felt horrible about it but thankfully managed to get a genuine new display window from Sony and fitted a screen protector immediately after fitting it. I still have the camera now in mint condition in its leather case.

I'm also trying to "do nothing" about it, but the sensation of been impossible to fix is horrible.

I'm also trying to "do nothing" about it, but the sensation of been impossible to fix is horrible.
I totally understand that feeling, I really try my very best to keep stuff pristine and it eats at me if something pristine gets damaged. My ex girlfriend was just outright careless, everything in her house was damaged, she didn’t look after anything… and I have a Linn Majik with a snapped off key to show for it, now residing on my work bench as part of my test bed because I couldn’t put it in a system that’s on show and it’s resale value is seriously diminished because of it… I bought another Majik in mint condition to replace it because Linn could no longer supply the key panel, that’s how much it bothered me. Don’t ask how she managed it because I really don’t know, she just apologised and never came up with any explanation… she scratched the display window of my Klimax Kontrol and the wooden arm of a chair with a dog crate, seconds apart. Managed to get a new display window for the preamp, the chair still has a gouge out of the arm. She managed to get hair dye on my landing and bedroom carpet too… we didn’t last.:rolleyes:

Nothings impossible to fix, well somethings perhaps are but not a little paint that's been rubbed off. Really the best thing to do is forget about it but I understand if you can't.
I had just finished building a 1950 Panhead in an early 60's show bike style, everything chromed apart from the frame and tank . I was moving house from England back home to Ireland and rather than ride it I hired a van and bought a ramp, on removing the bike from the back of the van the underside of the frame caught and removed about six inches of paint, I was livid with my own stupidity , luckily I can paint and have the correct tools.
If you feel that you are capable then find some satin black paint and touch in the paintwork, I'm 100% sure I could fix it, some masking tape and a little touch in with an airbrush and it would be a totally seamless repair but probably could be touched in with a fine artists brush and suitable paint. If your not 100% confident of your own abilities or dexterity it'd be best left as it is. The bumper paint could possibly be a good choice , it may be worthwhile trying a touch up paint pen and if you've any friends that are model makers they may be able to help.
Hth

For repairs like these I use Halfords Plastic Bumper Paint Black sprayed into the cap and applied with a artists paint brush.

TBH i'd chalk it up to experience, plug the leads back in, turn it around and pretend it never happened.

Hello. The "Halfords Plastic Bumper Paint Black" is a unique colour, or it has gloss/matte etc?

advertisement

Back