advertisement

2021 Beatles Let It Be

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey folks, anyone got any of the newly released versions of LIB? I’ve got a crackly early vinyl, an equally crackly eighties press vinyl, LIB on the 2009 remasters, LIB (Naked) and here I am contemplating it yet again.

How does the SQ compare to the 2009 remasters? And where - if anywhere - does LIB (Naked) fit into all of this?

I’m struggling with what to buy - single CD plus the vinyl release? Separate book? Or one of the deluxe editions (but then, will I ever actually listen to the out-takes more than once?)

The SQ of the 2009s is nothing special but neither have the recent Abbey Road anniversary reissues been up to much. I've heard that they've done a better job of this one though...

The 70s uk repressings are generally a good buy.

The new remastered LP sounds excellent but I haven’t heard the 2009 issue so can’t compare the two. “Naked” is not included in the Deluxe editions.

I already have a copy of the Glyn Johns version (not entirely legit) so not so fussed about that. Naked is quite different to it.

I have a copy of the ‘Naked’ CD, which I haven’t listened to for years.
My interest in the Beatles’ music tailed off after ‘Sgt. Pepper.’
Can’t listen to the ‘White Album’ as I find it dis-jointed.

It wouldn’t make any sense to buy the LP, since the mix is digital anyway.
I’ll stick on my late 70’s pressing for now. Never found much better as it was probably done with a second gen tape.

I listened to a few bits (streamed from Qobuz) and the SQ is fine but I can't see why anyone would buy the whole set which is mostly outtakes etc.
I agree with John Lennon's view of Let It Be...

The 5 disc version seems essential to me, both historically and musically an incredibly important document. Whether it or not it was mastered from digital sources, or has better sound quality than a first pressing is neither here nor there, I think.

Here’s Ken Micallef’s nicely rambling review. Sounds like he doesn’t like the mastering of the album despite not having a good original analogue copy to compare against (he prefers his ‘80s digital!). Doesn’t surprise me much to be honest, I’ve not been impressed with Giles Martin’s rewriting of history so far and have little interest in any of it. The out-takes and extras sound interesting though.

PS For clarity I’m firmly in the ‘60s original UK pressings camp for Beatles. I never ended up keeping a set for myself, but as a record dealer I’ve had them all pass through over the years. I’d go mono up to Sgt Pepper, stereo beyond it, and want both of that one. They just sound ‘right’ IMO.

I listened to a few bits (streamed from Qobuz) and the SQ is fine but I can't see why anyone would buy the whole set which is mostly outtakes etc.

I find Beatles outakes more interesting than this sort of stuff from other groups. I have the Anthology series and the Ultra Rare Trax plus a handful of other 'unofficial' releases.

Being able to hear stuff like the different takes of Strawberry Fields is great.

I understand Lennon collected Beatlegs!

Listening to this (Blu-Ray stereo) - I prefer it. Nothing in the mix jars. I will be keeping “Naked” for my favourite version of Long And Winding Road, but this edition sounds really good.

Listening to this (Blu-Ray stereo) - I prefer it. Nothing in the mix jars. I will be keeping “Naked” for my favourite version of Long And Winding Road, but this edition sounds really good.

That's pretty much where I am. Have the Deluxe CD box and very happy with the sound quality, but prefer Naked versions of some tracks including LAWR.

Just ripping the blu-ray from the deluxe edition as I type. As with Abbey Road, the 24/96 PCM Stereo tracks are from a different master with higher dynamic range than the CD/download.

advertisement

Back