advertisement

SBLs

These are looking fantastic, my only concern, which I have written, then deleted several times for fear of being a party pooper, is that putting cross overs in a metal box is best avoided. Cross overs are usually hard wired or on PCBs with no ground plane and in wooden or plastic boxes to avoid the issues associated with having inductors close to metal. I would also try to keep left and right well separated or you risk, at the last stage, messing up channel isolation which will, amongst other things, mess up sound stage. Apologies, still not sure I am correct in letting you know or letting you know this late. :(

That's true - I forgot to say I don't think I'll be putting the grills back in situ, look too ugly! If the treble is too much I'll play with the crossovers instead

These are looking fantastic, my only concern, which I have written, then deleted several times for fear of being a party pooper, is that putting cross overs in a metal box is best avoided. Cross overs are usually hard wired or on PCBs with no ground plane and in wooden or plastic boxes to avoid the issues associated with having inductors close to metal. I would also try to keep left and right well separated or you risk, at the last stage, messing up channel isolation which will, amongst other things, mess up sound stage. Apologies, still not sure I am correct in letting you know or letting you know this late. :(

Not at all - sound advice I am sure! If I fire them up what am I listening out for in terms of issues caused by the enclosure?

In terms of channel separation i was aware of this but not sure how big an issue it is; within the amplifier the channels are even closer together so that'ds presumably a bigger issue. Regardless.. if I spot more suitable enclosures I'll take a punt as this one isn't the prettiest anyway!

You clearly have some skills with wood, so how about making some suitable wooden boxes?

As to what you will hear, who knows? More distortion and worse soundstage would be my glib response.

In the amplifier the magnetic fields produced will be nothing like that by the bass inductor. If it helps, I don't like the Avondale layouts of cross overs as they seem to have all inductors in the same orientation which is poor form too, so perhaps I am just cross over OCD as lots of good reports about them, still, it is fundamentally a bad idea, perhaps the inductor separation is adequate in them though?!!?

This is a good recommendation I have measured inductors close to ferrous metal and it alters their value, this will have an effect on the crossover response, how this sounds is purely subjective.Have a look at Troules Grovesons site he did some measurements on different inductor positions relative to each other.

That, and the eddy currents induced in the metal will have a magnetic field that will feedback into the cross over signal path. So two unwanted effects.

Thanks for that input folks - will have a think about a long term solution for the crossovers.

Not much progress this afternoon... house refurbishment is apparently more important but I did squeeze in some veneering of the visible bit on the lower cabinet. In need of a good dusting:

20211016-152341.jpg

20211016-152335.jpg

20211016-153249.jpg

If I may suggest, just ignore me, get them running! Then if you can't quite forget the stuff I now wish I hadn't mentioned, pull the cross overs out of the enclosure and try them on the floor. If you don't hear a difference ... feel free to let me know what an annoying idiot I am.

I can only imagine the intent was not to keep them cross overs in a pioneer cd box or what ever it is

I am enjoying this journey of refurbishment so much.:)

They are going to look amazing.

I second the comments about the crossovers having played with the passive x-overs in the past.

Thanks- glad it's not just me enjoying it! What do you SBL experts make of this proposed final resting place? Ignore the blinds and general decor... I'll get to that once I've finished the speakers :D

20211017-205610.jpg

Solid brick wall, about 30cm from the wall on each side... Maybe 170cm apart.

Position good just the unwanted reflection from the side wall on the left and the door area on the right might cause muddling of the sound and image.

That's what I was thinking. The alternative position would be on the long wall, however this is a stud partition with the garage and not as solid. It's also much more difficult to negotiate a comfortable listening position! Will see how it goes...

I've taken on board the advice above re. the crossover housing and have sorted an alternative which I think may turn out to be perfect :) if anyone wants a scabby rotel RB970 amp casing drop me a message and it's yours!

Some sound absorber is ideal on the reflective areas of concern and keep the position of SBL as is.

I have used thick carpet felt folded into a wave pattern and stuck to a backing or in a frame then covered with acoustic fabric to make it look OK, you can then move this until happy with results.

Today I had quite a clear diary, so I had a stab at spraying the top coat on the speakers. This is always the stage where I manage to ruin a project by hurrying through it in a desperate bid to finish them off, and today was no different! In a dusty garage with minimal ventilation (too windy outside) and probably a little bit too cold to really be doing this, but nevermind...

I have completely forgotten how to put these things together too! If there's a manual somewhere with a step-by-step guide to doing it that would be handy. If not, i'll ask here when I get stuck.

Today I had quite a clear diary, so I had a stab at spraying the top coat on the speakers. This is always the stage where I manage to ruin a project by hurrying through it in a desperate bid to finish them off, and today was no different! In a dusty garage with minimal ventilation (too windy outside) and probably a little bit too cold to really be doing this, but nevermind...

I have completely forgotten how to put these things together too! If there's a manual somewhere with a step-by-step guide to doing it that would be handy. If not, i'll ask here when I get stuck.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1004455/Naim-Dbl.html?page=15#manual

advertisement

Back