advertisement

Faulty EGR valve

If premium diesel is so much cleaner, I wonder why there isn't legislation to make ordinary grade fuel cleaner? After all, when you look at the advances that have been made with petrol over the years?

Blanking and/or DPF deletion is an automatic MOT failure. Best bet is to use good fuel (e.g. VPower Diesel) and avoid short journeys wherein the engine doesn’t get up to temperature.

Having finished work now, where previously I was working away from home doing high mileage, the car doesn't get so many frequent long journeys, but I certainly don't nip up to the end of the road in it!

Regarding the blanking off, it can be done in such a way that the testing station won't know, not that I endorse such measures, particularly as it's a pollution issue.

FYI I had the EGR light come on when I owned my 2.5 V6 TDi. It turned out that the vibration of the engine had cracked one of the wires leading to the valve body connector. I diagnosed that myself after the main dealer and independent fixer missed it. It cost more in labour to splice the new wire in that getting the replacement connector pin and a length of wire.

I’ve had three diesel cars, two with DPFs, no issues with EGR valves. My Merc has just hit 148k miles and is still running fine.

When first bought it was mostly doing 25 to 50 miles each time it was used, and was mostly fed a diet of V-Power. For the last five years it has done mostly short journeys but, because of that, I come up with a reason to do 25 to 50 miles at least once per week.

It has never been given supermarket fuel, and it is regularly given the beans to give the exhaust a good heat cycle.

If you want to read some nightmare stories, look up what happened when Land Rover decided to fit transverse engines to some vehicles in 2016… space was at a premium so the DPF is fitted further from the exhaust manifold, so NEVER gets up to temperature when the yummy mummies drop the kids off at school before meeting their yummy friends. Cue £2,000 bill for a new exhaust.

Lolz.

It has never been given supermarket fuel, and it is regularly given the beans to give the exhaust a good heat cycle.

Yes, I don't know why I've had two EGR failures, because I was having regular fast dashes up the M40, though I will admit to fuelling in supermarket forecourts on occasions. TBH, I've never really given much thought to it; is there that big a difference between various suppliers/forecourts?

My Audi has done 191,000 miles now, the previous one having reached 240,000

Yes, I don't know why I've had two EGR failures, because I was having regular fast dashes up the M40, though I will admit to fuelling in supermarket forecourts on occasions. TBH, I've never really given much thought to it; is there that big a difference between various suppliers/forecourts?

My Audi has done 191,000 miles now, the previous one having reached 240,000
I don’t know for sure, and I can’t link or quote any science papers. I just knew that if I tempted fate, it would happen. We knew we would keep the Merc for a fair few years, and I’d had a good experience with V-Power unleaded in other cars. I can safely say that V-Power diesel didn’t feel as though it added any power at all, but it was smoother and the MoT emissions tests are still excellent.

A cynic might say that cheap fuel, short journeys, two yearly servicing, and never really ‘using’ the engine are a perfect storm.

I know people who’ve bought quick cars, brand new, and have NEVER had the right pedal flat to the floor or used high revs. That’s totally alien to me!

I’ve never used any fuel or oil additives in the Merc.

Get some carb cleaner; it's a fairly easy DIY job.

Only if you can get to the damn thing. Just changing a light bulb on my X-Type is impossible without very tiny hands. I either have to take it to the garage or the small boy next door.

Only if you can get to the damn thing. Just changing a light bulb on my X-Type is impossible without very tiny hands. I either have to take it to the garage or the small boy next door.

If you'd bough the Mondeo it's based on, it's *very* easy. :)

If you'd bough the Mondeo it's based on, it's *very* easy. :)
Yes, but then I’d be driving a Ford, not a posh Jag!

Joking aside, it’s done 100,000 miles but people still call it a posh car. Can’t imagine anyone saying that about an old Mondeo?

I remember my brother calling upon the services if his then very young son to change the headlamp bulb in his mk4 Golf tdi 150. It was never going to happen with adult size hands unless I suspect if you removed the light assembly or even the bumper!

I remember my brother calling upon the services if his then very young son to change the headlamp bulb in his mk4 Golf tdi 150. It was never going to happen with adult size hands unless I suspect if you removed the light assembly or even the bumper!
The bumper. About a 20 minute job once you know what you’re doing. Our rear wheel drive, longitudinal engined Merc is about a 30 second job per bulb. So much space.

It can, but if you get found out, big fine!
I don't think it is. They'll just fail it on the emissions part of the MoT. Other than that, who's going to find out? Roadside stop strips down the induction and exhaust system at the side of the road? Hardly.
In addition, the law is that it doesn't exceed emissions, not the presence of a part. It either passes the test or it doesn't. If the former, happy days, if the latter you get a vehicle defect notice and so many days to fix it or scrap the car.

Big hammer and Whitworth socket set to the ready! Actually, looking at the age of it, probably UNF /AF. And a MIG welder.

I suspect an angle grinder, some oxyacetylene and a swear jar will be the most used implements. Oh and multiple calls to me of “can you just pop round and give me a hand with.......”

advertisement

Back