advertisement

Faulty EGR valve

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I had the EGR let go on my Audi A4, which delayed my journey by several hours. The RAC misdiagnosed it twice. First patrolman said I had overfilled it with oil, second patrol man said I'd miss-fuelled it. The Garage that the recovery team took it to (an RAC approved garage) didn't want it and I had to argue the point after the RAC said that I would have to pay the going rate to get the car recovered to another garage. Eventually they agreed to move it to a garage of my choice. Bearing in mind I was 120 miles from home, I had to google local garages and chose one at random. Luckily, this garage correctly diagnosed a faulty EGR. The car is running fine now, with no apparent after effects. A friend says that he blanked his EGR off and I have read that others do it too, despite it being possibly illegal; what does the team think?

When the EGR failed on my 530D I suffered a substantial reduction in grunt but I didn’t need to be rescued. It was quickly diagnosed by the garage plugging their thingy into a socket. It was replaced and away I went.

When the EGR failed on my 530D I suffered a substantial reduction in grunt but I didn’t need to be rescued. It was quickly diagnosed by the garage plugging their thingy into a socket. It was replaced and away I went.

Yes, that's what happened the first time the EGR went a few years ago. I was lucky to get a new AA patrolman, looking to impress. He shot off to buy a new EGR and replaced it in the car park at work. This time though, it was a major failure. I just about limped it to an emergency run off area on the M3 and smoke was billowing out. RAC had no clue whatsoever.

Some cars can have the EGR blocked and still pass emissions. Some not. My car put a light on for the EGR a few months ago, it had to be turned off for MoT and fortunately didn't come back on. I'm told that short trips around town can block them with carbon, the cheap fix is to drop a gear on the motorway and run it at high speed to burn off the carbon.

I also read that putting a tank of premium diesel in every six months is good too. On some cars, if you block or remove the EGR, you have to delete the EGR code in the software, else the ECU thinks it is still there.

If you have the egr blanked of you can get it mapped out the ECM. You shouldn't have a problem with an MOT what age is the A4 is it a 1.9tdi pd engine.

If you have the egr blanked of you can get it mapped out the ECM. You shouldn't have a problem with an MOT what age is the A4 is it a 1.9tdi pd engine.

Its an 07 plate 2 litre estate. I've just had a new EGR fitted, so I'll leave it for now, but if it goes again, I won't be happy to fork out another £500!

Yes I no what you mean. That may have the last of the pd engines in can't remember now.
If it goes again. Have it blanked and mapped out it's probably the same cost.

Its an 07 plate 2 litre estate. I've just had a new EGR fitted, so I'll leave it for now, but if it goes again, I won't be happy to fork out another £500!
You're done for another 5 or 10 years. Don't sweat it.

Yes I no what you mean. That may have the last of the pd engines in can't remember now.
If it goes again. Have it blanked and mapped out it's probably the same cost.
Under £100 to have mine fixed 2 years ago. Mind you, it did put the light on again after a while. 6 months later it was academic, the gearbox bearings packed up, I suspect in the diff, and it was done.

I also read that putting a tank of premium diesel in every six months is good too. On some cars, if you block or remove the EGR, you have to delete the EGR code in the software, else the ECU thinks it is still there.
Yes. Diesel additive is a cheaper option. Been using it every tankful since my ERG fail a few years ago.

I had my BMW EGR failing a few years ago.
It was just really dirty. It worked again after a thorough cleaning process.
The mechanic wanted to replace it...

Blanking and/or DPF deletion is an automatic MOT failure. Best bet is to use good fuel (e.g. VPower Diesel) and avoid short journeys wherein the engine doesn’t get up to temperature.

I had the valves plugged and the van re mapped on my discovery 3, no more ridiculous emergency mode episodes where the van looses 80% power when pulling onto a main road. Still passes the MOT !

I had my BMW EGR failing a few years ago.
It was just really dirty. It worked again after a thorough cleaning process.
The mechanic wanted to replace it...

Yes, I didn't get that choice, because I wasn't present at the Garage that the car was recovered to. When the EGR failed last time, it was fixed by the AA patrolman. He showed me the gear wheel the had broken teeth on it. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish that I had asked the garage proprietor for the old one back, because I could have fixed it for a spare.

Blanking and/or DPF deletion is an automatic MOT failure. Best bet is to use good fuel (e.g. VPower Diesel) and avoid short journeys wherein the engine doesn’t get up to temperature.
Yes, if your journey isn’t long enough to warm the car up, walk!

advertisement

Back