advertisement

David Amess MP stabbed in Leigh-On-Sea

Maybe in a day or two. Not hours after he was brutally murdered.

I don’t see why. I’d never heard of him, I want to know who he was, what he believed in. His voting record is some part of that picture. Why would he not be proud of it? It is irrelevant what I think of it, and I have made no comment. When someone in the public eye dies we tend to consider their life’s work, e.g. there was no issue discussing John Lennon’s work when he was murdered. Why would it be different for an MP? I don’t get it.

PS I don’t remember this mindset when Jo Cox was murdered. We knew what she stood for, what she opposed.

I don’t see why. I’d never heard of him, I want to know who he was, what he believed in. His voting record is some part of that picture. Why would he not be proud of it? It is irrelevant what I think of it. When someone in the public eye dies we consider their work, e.g. there was no issue discussing John Lennon’s work when he was murdered. Why would it be different for an MP? I don’t get it.

Pretty sure he was one of the go to MPs on CH4 news.

I've certainly seen him before but he was an MP for nearly 40 years so no doubt he's been on TV anyway during that time.

Well, it promoted discussion by eight posters. As to voting record being irrelevant, in precise terms it possibly is, but as an overall indicator of the political caste of the individual it's pretty unarguable. And proved very relevant - sadly - in the Jo Cox case, might it not also here?

Operative word, ‘might’.

RIP to the chap. I didn’t know him, but I sure do know that murdering him was despicable in any sense.

Motives will abound, as always. The offender will be duly charged or sectioned in due course, and we will find that out when the police let us know.

Well, it promoted discussion by eight posters. As to voting record being irrelevant, in precise terms it possibly is, but as an overall indicator of the political caste of the individual it's pretty unarguable. And proved very relevant - sadly - in the Jo Cox case, might it not also here?
How did your post add to the thread?
I notice no R.I.P. or any such sentiment in your posting on this thread.

BBC;

“Scotland Yard detectives and the security service MI5 are assisting Essex Police - but there's no confirmation that this was an act of terrorism.

What that means is that they are keeping an open mind - at the earliest stages of an investigation, good police work requires officers to follow the evidence, rather than inadvertently narrowing down the avenues open to them to establish why an attack happened.

In the hours to come, murder squad detectives will be interviewing the man who is in custody on suspicion of murder - he was held at the scene and there is no suggestion that he was detained after any kind of struggle.

Other teams will be going to the man's home to carry out a search and also downloading communications from any devices he may own.

That communication evidence may be critical to establishing motive and mindset.”

This is sensible reporting…

Terrible news.

My first thought, and I hope it's not the case, was that the current climate has stopped us seeing politicians as humans and so fair game or anything.

Whatever the causes, we've had two MPs killed in the last five years, so something's going wrong somewhere.

Obviously all the small minded, racist little englanders are up in arms about the suspect, claiming things like this justifies drowning migrants in the channel, etc.

The fall-out from this is going to be wide ranging, and ugly.

Obviously all the small minded, racist little englanders are up in arms about the suspect, claiming things like this justifies drowning migrants in the channel, etc.

The fall-out from this is going to be wide ranging, and ugly.

Unfortunately you are probably right. On the other side the ‘Tory scum’ shouty extreme left will be jubilant (seems they already are). Both equally pitiful, sub human behaviour.

I just cannot begin to imagine what his family are going through this evening.

I'll be honest; I didn't really know what I felt when I initially heard what was going on. He was MP for Basildon when I was a kid, then Southend; I have always had a visceral dislike for him. His voting record is atrocious, etc. However, my over-riding emotion is one of sadness at what has happened. Despite the fact that I hated pretty much everything that he stood for, no human being deserves to have their life ended in this way. Today has been a day where I have reflected on myself to a certain degree, but I don't expect that the majority of people will do the same, and as such, this whole, sorry episode will just accelerate the current direction of travel of "politics" in this country.

Can we please be careful of conjecture, I’ve seen nothing on any news source that suggests a place of origin for the 25 year old man.

Always worth linking to a news source if you post something as a fact in hard times.

advertisement

Back