advertisement

Whisky II

Very good tour at The Glenlivet today - the visit centre is very good. The tour included sampling the 12, 15 and 18 (and I've another set to try as my wife was driving and doesn't drink anyway) and I treated myself to a bottle of their 12-year old Illicit Still release (which I haven't tried yet).

172044859.fWMn3YCf.gl02.jpg

172044862.lJen7Efg.gl05.jpg

172044863.o1P9EH9d.gl06.jpg

£20,000 bottle of 50 year old!

172044865.5s0puZhz.gl08.jpg

172044868.S7axKygH.gl11.jpg

172044869.uUn2uNie.gl12.jpg

172044871.kHMxWGpw.gl14.jpg

Very close to both Scapa and Highland Park distilleries tomorrow. If you could only buy one bottle from each, up to say £60ea, what would you recommend?

Very good tour at The Glenlivet today - the visit centre is very good. The tour included sampling the 12, 15 and 18 (and I've another set to try as my wife was driving and doesn't drink anyway) and I treated myself to a bottle of their 12-year old Illicit Still release (which I haven't tried yet).

172044859.fWMn3YCf.gl02.jpg

172044862.lJen7Efg.gl05.jpg

172044863.o1P9EH9d.gl06.jpg

£20,000 bottle of 50 year old!

172044865.5s0puZhz.gl08.jpg

172044868.S7axKygH.gl11.jpg

172044869.uUn2uNie.gl12.jpg

172044871.kHMxWGpw.gl14.jpg

That looks superb.

Reminds me a lot of Aberfeldy distillery. That's a really well laid out & run tour. Great whiskies too

Glenlivet is on my to do list, might be one for next Feb when we're up in the Highlands

Currently having a dram of a South African whisky, Bain's Cape Mountain. Quite cheap (£24.70 at Amazon and MoM at the moment) and very decent. It's a single grain whisky, rather than a malt, and I think is a 5-year old and matured in Bourbon casks. I bought it to do a "whiskies of the world" tasting session with my kids and their partners but it's better than I'd expected. Lots of vanilla, moderately sweet and quite fruity.

So the An Oa, the 10, the wee beastie, uigideal and corryverkan. All within about £20-30 of one another, that's a pretty congested line-up. Has anyone tried them all? If so, how would you rank them?

I've only had the 10 and Wee Beastie (unopened An Oa).
Trust this Guy's palate:
He does not do the Wee Beastie which is 5yo, more sherried than the 10 but not as good, or as good value. Should be under £30 imo.

I've only had the 10 and Wee Beastie (unopened An Oa).
Trust this Guy's palate:
He does not do the Wee Beastie which is 5yo, more sherried than the 10 but not as good, or as good value. Should be under £30 imo.

Good watch...

Although I find it hard to trust a man whose arm is the same thickness, shoulder to wrist... :D

I'm having a rather nice smokey cokey using Caol Ila 12 to finish off the bottle - very, very tasty it is too. I'm not sure what I'll replace it with yet. I've got an independent 13-year old Caol Ila bottling from Gordon & McPhail which is also nice, but I noticed there is a Caol Ila Distillers edition and if that's as good as the Oban and Lagavulin versions I've got then they could be pretty special.

So the An Oa, the 10, the wee beastie, uigideal and corryverkan. All within about £20-30 of one another, that's a pretty congested line-up. Has anyone tried them all? If so, how would you rank them?
Not these but the Bunnahabhain 12 and Stuiradour (sp?). They are clearly from the same house, and if there's a difference then the Stuiradour is slightly less peated, with a lower phenol level and a generally lighter flavour. By a gnat's hair. Taste botb, leave the room, rinse your mouth, OK, now which one of the two you've just tasted is this? No chance.

Currently having a dram of a South African whisky, Bain's Cape Mountain. Quite cheap (£24.70 at Amazon and MoM at the moment) and very decent. It's a single grain whisky, rather than a malt, and I think is a 5-year old and matured in Bourbon casks. I bought it to do a "whiskies of the world" tasting session with my kids and their partners but it's better than I'd expected. Lots of vanilla, moderately sweet and quite fruity.
Haig (blue bottle) is a single grain too. It's nice enough, if not very distinctive. At £20 a litre I'll buy it again. At RRP? No.

Haig (blue bottle) is a single grain too. It's nice enough, if not very distinctive. At £20 a litre I'll buy it again. At RRP? No.

I've bought a few bottles of that in the past when it's discounted, to use with mixers (i.e. similar to how you'd drink Jack Daniels), and I think it's pretty good like that.

advertisement

Back