advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm gonna wait for a couple more paychecks and then I'm gonna buy it. It will be like an impulse buy as I won't be able to demo it beforehand... Putting my trust in GoldenOne.

The preamp option and decent remote is a clincher for me.
I took a chance on a May do not regret it. Bought it from magnahif.

I took a chance on a May do not regret it. Bought it from magnahif.

Ooh. This post is more relevant to me now I've plumped for a Spring 3 KTE. Did it sound the same as every other DAC or do you have a keeper? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I still yearn for EQ that doesn't ruin the sound and am left wondering if feeding my Spring 3 with optical from my DSPeaker is sacrilege or not. I can use Roon DSP for this job and get the benefit of the fancy USB in, but then I'm without DSP whenever i watch movies.

I wonder how Johns doing... probably doing something with a clock.

Yeah, must look something like that:
51CYCwgKlPL._AC_.jpg

I emailed him yesterday and he didn’t reply so I gave him a reminder today and pointed out we didn’t give him in excess of a hundred thousand euros to fund his PhD.

Is it not a small claims court matter now?

If the will existed perhaps, but he's in another country and it was a crowd funded effort to go develop the best DAC so it's debatable and his terms were no guarantees despite his promises. He started with good intentions, but used a bit of this money to do a bit of that and then a bit of that to do a bit of this etc. Quite a few folk figured out he wasn't telling the whole truth and commercial products were delivered with his and Jarek's name on. Even before that people who wanted to help got chased off, so there were plenty of signs in retrospect. Maaaaaybe a small handful of folks might get something some day, but its unlikely to go anywhere near where it was promised - this is one of those 'everyone loses' situations I think. John's rep is down the pan and we all lose five hundred quid (apart from the ones that got stung for amps etc - ouch).

Ooh. This post is more relevant to me now I've plumped for a Spring 3 KTE. Did it sound the same as every other DAC or do you have a keeper? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I still yearn for EQ that doesn't ruin the sound and am left wondering if feeding my Spring 3 with optical from my DSPeaker is sacrilege or not. I can use Roon DSP for this job and get the benefit of the fancy USB in, but then I'm without DSP whenever i watch movies.

I also got tired of waiting and waiting DACs so am glad I finally got a DAC that is not a waiting DAC. It is a keeper.
What was immediacy noticeable was how much wider the sound stage was. It actually took a little time to get used to the different presentation. We can call it brain burn in:)

Your DSP situation is tricky maybe just use USB with Roon and optical and DSpeaker for TV. It also have very good jitter rejection on the optical.

I'm in the EU. I have considered hiring a Czech representative/lawyer. Many year ago a friend offered to drive with me to the Czech Republic. I declined because I am a decent person.

I'm in the EU. I have considered hiring a Czech representative/lawyer. Many year ago a friend offered to drive with me to the Czech Republic. I declined because I am a decent person.

Hiring a Czech lawyer is a good idea. If I had paid for VFETs I would have done this on my own. However, my investment in the MDAC2 doesn't warrant the expense as an individual.

As a group, the total investment would warrant the likely cost of obtaining advice and, if advised, launching legal action. The problem is organising the group and convincing them to anti up, say £100 each, to cover at least the initial cost of obtaining advice and taking the first steps. I would contribute because I consider that £100 spent on kicking JW's arse a worthwhile investment, but I doubt that many others could be bothered, except of course those who paid for VFETs. The VFET situation, to my mind, is appalling; there was no suggestion of a difficult development phase, just pay and I will deliver the amps, was JW's line. I don't think JW can hide behind the "risk capital" line on this subject. The VFET investors should definitely hire a Czech lawyer;I would if I were one.

At least over here in North America, class action participants are rarely ever required to pay legal fees, at least not upfront. The lawyers will take a massive percentage of the settlement amount off of the top and distribute the remainder among the action participants.

What is odd is that one can be included in a class action by default. As case in point, as recently as 2019 I received a cheque in the mail for settlement of damages having to do with a case against UPS for them having overcharged customers on in-house brokerage fees. It was quite some years ago that this actually happened, however I do recall getting charged what seemed an inordinate amount at the door for 'brokerage and handling fees', something over $100 extra on a NAIT that I had purchased from the US. I wasn't too fussed at the time, as the amp was being sold 'as is' and only needed a volume pot cleaning, however, it did stick in my mind never to agree to use UPS again (and I haven't).

Here we go...

"This notice is directed to Ontario Consumers who received a shipment from UPS using UPS’ Standard Service and utilizing a UPS Waybill or International Parcel Shipping Order, originating from an international destination, and who, during the period July 24, 2005 to August 27, 2011, paid Additional Fees to UPS upon delivery."

According to Google, UPS agreed to settle the litigation against it on the part of Ontario customers for $6,800,000 in 2018. ISTR receiving a cheque for $21.82 in Feb 2019.

At least over here in North America, class action participants are rarely ever required to pay legal fees, at least not upfront. The lawyers will take a massive percentage of the settlement amount off of the top and distribute the remainder among the action participants.

What is odd is that one can be included in a class action by default. As case in point, as recently as 2019 I received a cheque in the mail for settlement of damages having to do with a case against UPS for them having overcharged customers on in-house brokerage fees. It was quite some years ago that this actually happened, however I do recall getting charged what seemed an inordinate amount at the door for 'brokerage and handling fees', something over $100 extra on a NAIT that I had purchased from the US. I wasn't too fussed at the time, as the amp was being sold 'as is' and only needed a volume pot cleaning, however, it did stick in my mind never to agree to use UPS again (and I haven't).

Here we go...

"This notice is directed to Ontario Consumers who received a shipment from UPS using UPS’ Standard Service and utilizing a UPS Waybill or International Parcel Shipping Order, originating from an international destination, and who, during the period July 24, 2005 to August 27, 2011, paid Additional Fees to UPS upon delivery."

According to Google, UPS agreed to settle the litigation against it on the part of Ontario customers for $6,800,000 in 2018. ISTR receiving a cheque for $21.82 in Feb 2019.

Czech law is very different to US law. The problem is compounded by cross border issues between the Czech Republic where JW has gone to ground, the UK, US and other countries where the potential plaintiffs are located.

Czech law is very different to US law. The problem is compounded by cross border issues between the Czech Republic where JW has gone to ground, the UK, US and other countries where the potential plaintiffs are located.
Another thing that comes to mind is that circa 100k isn't enough for any 'decent' firm that goes after class actions to bother with.

My ex used to work for the firm that since represented the plaintiffs in the action against UPS for the Province of Ontario. Whilst she was there they were involved with the Walkerton, ON E. coli water scandal from back in 2000, as well a massive Canada wide case against Dow Corning wrt breast implants containing silicone. My own family law and estate lawyer works there and she was telling me some basics about them being at the forefront of going after both BMW Canada and Bosch wrt diesel emissions, aka 'Dieselgate', in both Ontario (2018) and Quebec (2020), both yet to be settled.

To put things into perspective, the ex was in charge of accounting and none partner bonuses often exceeded 100 grand.

P.S. Obviously, I use the word 'decent' somewhat loosely here.

Last edited:
Another thing that comes to mind is that circa 100k isn't enough for any 'decent' firm that goes after class actions to bother with.

Agree completely, but a local firm may be interested in a simple action on behalf of multiple plaintiffs as opposed to a class action; indeed there may be no such thing as a class action in the Czech Republic.

Agree completely, but a local firm may be interested in a simple action on behalf of multiple plaintiffs as opposed to a class action; indeed there may be no such thing as a class action in the Czech Republic.
Fingers crossed.

If nothing else, the threat of same via lawyer's letter(s) may be enough to spur Westlake on wrt making some form of reparations. Or, at the very least, show some responsibility to all investors, not just the select few who have been willing to hang on to the FB drip line.

Fingers crossed.

If nothing else, the threat of same via lawyer's letter(s) may be enough to spur Westlake on wrt making some form of reparations. Or, at the very least, show some responsibility to all investors, not just the select few who have been willing to hang on to the FB drip line.

A letter before action often concentrates the mind!

advertisement

Back