advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

By stopping your knees hurting?

Or was it a joke? If it was a joke I would point out that walking forwards on a treadmill wouldn't get you any closer to the shops either!
Sorry Dozey, it was a rather limp attempt at a joke at your expense. It's just that as a past user of a treadmill I can't imagine walking backwards on the blasted thing, let alone what the benefit to my knees it might bring. Anyhow, my right knee has been giving me a bit of gyp lately, so I might try it. I'll report back!

I am sadden by how I feel, the old age crap is making me wish it was over.:(
Ticker giving agro, I pass out often, the anaphylactic is getting worse, my reading was always crap now much worse, my tolerance for idiots and arse wipes is getting less. My pains in the ribs is a nightmare and the bloody nightmare in my sleep have come back.
Old friends dying has left me sad and very unhappy.:(
Should give up the electronics and whimper away, I have been screwed far to many time to the point I feel I can't trust anybody new at all.

What would you do ????

Ticker giving agro, I pass out often, the anaphylactic is getting worse, my reading was always crap now much worse, my tolerance for idiots and arse wipes is getting less. My pains in the ribs is a nightmare and the bloody nightmare in my sleep have come back.
Should give up the electronics and whimper away, I have been screwed far to many time to the point I feel I can't trust anybody new at all.

What would you do ????
A line of coke? :)

It is very sad when ones contemporaries start dying , makes you very aware of your mortality

It would be inappropriate to 'like' this but it's somethign that others me a lot nowadays and I'm only 52.

I can blame my mum's cancer and dad's passing for that one. :(

It is very sad when ones contemporaries start dying , makes you very aware of your mortality

I dread this, as I'd have trouble absorbing it. However and luckily, those many oldies I used to and still in part play racquet games with are still here, despite Covid. Ten years ago I just felt older than most of them; now, I'm sure they've stayed the same age and it's just me who's become decrepit.

Mind you, this part of Norfolk is noted for longevity. It's not the reason I moved here 20 years ago but it sure is a good reason to stay.:)

You don't live longer. It just feels longer.
I guess you haven't visited that part of the country. We did this year and were gob smacked at the sheer natural beauty of the area. We explored from Congham and along the coast and down to Ely. A trip really worth doing.

Over 50 years ago I spent several months in Norwich teaching at the City College to HNC and hated it. Haven't been back since. Maybe worth another look.

Cheers,

DV

I guess you haven't visited that part of the country. We did this year and were gob smacked at the sheer natural beauty of the area. We explored from Congham and along the coast and down to Ely. A trip really worth doing.

Over 50 years ago I spent several months in Norwich teaching at the City College to HNC and hated it. Haven't been back since. Maybe worth another look.

Cheers,

DV

You guess wrong. I was born in Cambs and as well as regular visits to Ely, I spent a lot of time in North Norfolk on the coast as well as areas around the Broads, Lynn and Fakenham for holidays and day trips, and we get there as often as we can. It is a lovely part of the country and would consider retiring there just for the very slow pace of life I was jokingly referring to.

It is a lovely spot, I spent some time in Norwich at the Uni, R&D for Zinc based Glass in liquid Helium cool job. Wish I could go back to the, it was the first time I saw Magic Eye pictures great things.

v6bl6ve.gif

And we have or will. See if you can read them, I hate getting wall paper as some of them come out in 3D

What would you do ????

Hard to offer even a half decent reply since I don’t know you, and have no idea what you’ve already tried. But I’ll try!

Hopefully you are getting good medical care. Have you tried alternatives like herbal supplements or acupuncture?

For me, pain management has been an issue for many years. After multiple failed lower back surgeries, I was hooked (no pun intended!) on doctor proscribed opioids for seven years. Faced a quit or die moment, and decided on the former. That was a horrible few weeks! Today I use a doctor proscribed medical cannabis tincture. I take a few drops in the evening after dinner when my pain is at its worst. Not for everyone I’m sure, but I’ve found it a godsend for getting better sleep. Also, unlike alcohol, cannabis is not physically addictive and there’s never a hangover! Can’t overdose and, thankfully, It doesn’t seem to negatively effect my BP and AFIB. No idea if this is an option for you, or if you would experience similar relief. Am just tossing the idea out there.

Two more basic things come to mind. When sad, I would continue posting here where there are lots of us who can relate and empathize. When happy, I would try and take full advantage of my brightened mood and surround myself, as much as possible, with the people and things I enjoy the most. You are obviously a very talented man with a long list of technical accomplishments. Is there perhaps a young person you could mentor?

I really hope there is a person in your life you can turn to when feeling down - someone you trust, someone who can help you get through the worst of it. If there isn’t, then I would seek help from a clinical psychologist. Your body can not heal when your head is not in a good place.

Hope this post doesn’t come across as me trying to teach granny how to suck eggs! :)

Last edited:
No the trouble is heart attack left me with 3 mech valves and damaged ribs, then I had stroke and keep falling over, I do not drink and have a shit loads of bloody allergies.
I was very active, climbing , sailing etc The nightmares come from a car accident when on honeymoon my wife was killed in 1990, and the thing still haunt me.

'Tis not called 'A Fine City' for nothing. Park anywhere and you get fined! Seriously though, as a shopping city with many historical aspects, it's excellent and (I think) the largest retail area in East Anglia. Quite hilly here, too, in contrast to much of Norfolk.

The shit goes on and on…
I’ve just been diagnosed MS with immediate treatment with immunotherapy. F*** me!

I lost my first contemporary (a school friend) when he was just 36. And as for ageing it's the case that we all eventually lose the game.

The shit goes on and on…
I’ve just been diagnosed MS with immediate treatment with immunotherapy. F*** me!

Coming on top of the just read news about Michael C, this is yet more negative tidings, Chartz. Really sorry to hear this, as I knew a chap suffering from this (but cannabis worked wonders at that time but probably as a palliative). Best wishes for your treatment and improvement.

I feel for you Jacques, I really do. I was feeling pretty low this morning but when I read your post I realised how fortunate I really am.

advertisement

Back