advertisement

Raspberry Pi and Volumio installation

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Hi

I have ordered a Raspberry pi which I plan to install Volumio on. Do I need to connect the Pi to a monitor to install or can I do it all via their web UI? I plan to use it over wireless and not a ethernet connection.

Thanks
PJ

Just download the software from the Volumio website and follow the directions on the site. You can set up and control from any device on the same network (pc, phone, tablet) or use the volumio app which costs a couple of pounds.

Great thanks. Is there a paid subscription on Volumio for hi-res music?

To use Qobuz or Tidal via Volumio you need to sign up for their 'MyVolumio Virtuoso' plan for €28 per year - this gives you the TIdal or Qobuz functionality, but you then also need a subscription for one of these services as well so you can enter in your account details. If you don't have the paid for Virtuoso plan, you can access Spotify and things like Radio Paradise, or any music files it can get to on your network or an attached USB storage device.

Or you could install piCorePlayer, which includes Logitech Media Server (LMS) that allows you to connect to your Qobuz or Tidal account for free. It's a bit fiddly to set up initially but there are lots of threads on it and our very own Ronnie the pi guru to help you out.

To use Qobuz or Tidal via Volumio you need to sign up for their 'MyVolumio Virtuoso' plan for €28 per year - this gives you the TIdal or Qobuz functionality, but you then also need a subscription for one of these services as well so you can enter in your account details. If you don't have the paid for Virtuoso plan, you can access Spotify and things like Radio Paradise, or any music files it can get to on your network or an attached USB storage device.
If I actually get it to work it will be to stream tidal as I already have a subscription. Thanks for the advice.

Or you could install piCorePlayer, which includes Logitech Media Server (LMS) that allows you to connect to your Qobuz or Tidal account for free. It's a bit fiddly to set up initially but there are lots of threads on it and our very own Ronnie the pi guru to help you out.
I am technically incompetent. I’ll be amazed if I can get it to work.

I used Volumio on a Pi and don't recall the installation itself being any work. The difficulty for me came in pointing it to my NAS full of ripped files, which shouldn't have been difficult but was for some reason. Ultimately I ended up switching to Moode.

Anyhoo, my intention for it was different than the one you're aiming for. Here's a fellow tech numpty hoping you press the magic "go!" button and it just does all the things.

+1 for PiCore player, I use this on a Pi in my headphone system. A bit of a PITA to set up, but when it's up and running it's stable and easy to use with Tidal or Qobuz. it is free too!!

A bit of a PITA for you is gonna be a major PITA for me.
If you set out thinking it’s going to be PITA then it shall be PITA. I found it relatively pain free. Works beautifully on my Pi3 with Digi hat and screen. I personally think it
trumps all others. I really disliked Volumio.

advertisement

Back