advertisement

Speakers that sound BIG and don't look like droids

jamesd

pfm Member
subject says it all, i think. I'm wondering what speakers you've heard that have large senses of scale...even if exaggerated. I've been through a lot of speakers and of any that I've had, my Snell J's seem to sound the biggest and most effortless.

Khorns (never heard)? Large Tannoys? Not interested in a big monolith of drivers like a Wilson.

B&W 800 Nautilus do that effortless scale thing, I heard a demo some years back with a huge pair of Classe amps.

Back in the real world, Amphions are excellent with a wide sweet spot, great imaging and mahoosive soundstage, especially for their size.

If size is important to you then you should check out the Klipsch Cornwall IVs. They give a great sound and are a high efficiency design too with proper bass from a 15" bass driver. I have them on demonstration.

Klipsch_Cornwall_IVwithaguitar.jpg

If I were to summarise, you want speakers that sound bigger than their cabinet dimensions would suggest? If that's the case, anything using modern DSP style bass management would be a good place to start. You'll find Kii 3s, or Genelec 8331s, or something like that will surprise you. Alternatively, well designed transmission lines, say by PMC might be a place to try.

Haven't personally heard, but both Dynaudio Special 40's and Buchardt S400 seemingly do good impressions of floorstanders.

subject says it all, i think. I'm wondering what speakers you've heard that have large senses of scale...even if exaggerated. I've been through a lot of speakers and of any that I've had, my Snell J's seem to sound the biggest and most effortless.

Khorns (never heard)? Large Tannoys? Not interested in a big monolith of drivers like a Wilson.
Big point source ESLs. No drivers!

Recently heard Quad 2812s (albeit with an REL sub), sounded huge, biggest scale I’ve heard since 15” Tannoys. Think the Quads sounded bigger actually.

Tannoy Cheviots are big on sound and reasonably small in size, no deeper or taller than Kans on stands. Plus they tend to blend in well.

I am biased of course…

If I were to summarise, you want speakers that sound bigger than their cabinet dimensions would suggest? If that's the case, anything using modern DSP style bass management would be a good place to start. You'll find Kii 3s, or Genelec 8331s, or something like that will surprise you. Alternatively, well designed transmission lines, say by PMC might be a place to try.

I’m not actively shopping (though aren’t we always?), I was just wondering out loud. “Effortless” seems like another good way to describe “sounding big”.

advertisement

Back