advertisement

Whisky II

Crabbies Yardhead was £16 yesterday on Amazon, so I bagged one. Got a £20 Tamnavulin to make the postage, I don't know that one. Wood finish Speyside, NAS, I have an idea what to expect, I'm not expecting it to blow my socks off like say Oban or the better Islays, but we'll see.

I've got a bottle of that Tamnavulin as well - mainly because I saw it cheap and it was one of the closest distilleries to the house. It's ok, but typical of a lot of entry level NAS stuff in that it's a tad boring.

I've not tried it, but have read comments here and elsewhere that make me think I want to, but £90 is a bit much for a bit of a punt. There's also been a lot of fuss over the hikes in price, so by buying a bottle today I'm also partly signalling to Amazon that I'm in at £65 but not at £90 (they sent me a 'Prime' offer at around £75 a few weeks ago which I resisted).

Not that they'll take much notice, unless lots of people do it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don't have that one, but the Arran Amarone finish is a favourite so I'd be very interested in your take on the comparison.
I'll throw temptation back your way:
https://www.jpha.co.uk/products/arran-bodega-sherry-cask
Haha :D

I just don't rate it any more at the over-inflated prices...

Some batches are poor; others are only OK IMO... It still has that bitter aftertaste and it's trying too hard

I know it's not cask; but I'd rather save my £££ and buy this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GLPJPI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Fair dos...I have one of those 15s...unopened.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Haha; you've done the right thing IMO

It's a pisser IMO; a good year or so back this was c£35 in Waitrose! 100% price increase doesn't mean it's got better!
Funds are a bit stretched so maybe yeah. That is def. a good price in the last year mind...don't think it will ever be <£50 again.
I do think it would have been good to put it up against the Arran. Roy Duff & Co at Aquivitae had a sherry blind-tasting last year and I think the Aberlour shaded it...price not factored in though and £45 plays £65 is a big nod in the Arran's direction for value.

Haha; you've done the right thing IMO

It's a pisser IMO; a good year or so back this was c£35 in Waitrose! 100% price increase doesn't mean it's got better!
I agree, though it was about 3-4 years since it was in at Waitrose for £35 and there were no changes from these bottles back then to now, cask strength with anything from (mainly) 5 year old to 15 year old whisky. I used to have a couple, but got through them. I still have a 18 yo from the distillery that my wife purchased for £50 a few years back.

Here's a good cask strength and very rare bottle of glenallachie, this has mainly sold out elsewhere...there were four there about an hour ago

https://www.lockettbros.co.uk/shop/glenallachie-14yo-oloroso-finish-uk-exclusive-55-4/

I agree, though it was about 3-4 years since it was in at Waitrose for £35 and there were no changes from these bottles back then to now, cask strength with anything from (mainly) 5 year old to 15 year old whisky. I used to have a couple, but got through them. I still have a 18 yo from the distillery that my wife purchased for £50 a few years back.

Here's a good cask strength and very rare bottle of glenallachie, this has mainly sold out elsewhere...there were four there about an hour ago

https://www.lockettbros.co.uk/shop/glenallachie-14yo-oloroso-finish-uk-exclusive-55-4/

That I get; but I've also never know a whisky that can be so hit n miss... For me, it's overpriced and generally trying too hard

Just my personal opinion

I've got a bottle of that Tamnavulin as well - mainly because I saw it cheap and it was one of the closest distilleries to the house. It's ok, but typical of a lot of entry level NAS stuff in that it's a tad boring.
Sounds pretty much as I expected then Speyside, wood finish, NAS, £20. It's the
John Smith's Bitter of the single malt world. You know what you are getting, it's entirely predictable and indistinguishable from any number of similar items. Just as long as it's not as nasty as bloody Bowmore No.1, which isn't even as nice as Bells, I'll be happy.

We went through Dufftown twice today, so this evenings (first) tipple is a Whisky Castle 9-year old Dufftown, bottled at 46%, no colouring and non chill filtered.

We passed a lot of distilleries again today, including the new (2018) tiny one at Glenrinnes and Allt-a-Bhainne which is very nearby and not one I've tried.

advertisement

Back