advertisement

LS3/5a question

I’m sure I’ll cave in at some point and stump up the absurd amount of money for a pair of Gold Label crossovers for my pair. I can’t imagine ever selling them on so it kind of makes sense to at least hear both options.

What’s the cost Tony, do they fit them at the factory for you?

I've taken the plunge and bought a pair of gold badge, arrived to me on Tuesday. Need some new stands now, sold my Custom designs to the Bish (can I have em back)?
First impressions, top end a bit edgy but wow the soundstage is superb, everything in proportion, real instruments like saxes really come alive. Bass don't seem like i'm missing anything. Volume in my small room is not a problem in fact it's quite loud enough for me.
I've played loads so far from Blue Note jazz to AC/DC.
That was the first day, second day top end edginess all but disappeared and theey are now really starting to resolve more.
Nirvana Unplugged, almost like being there. Live recordings reveal audience clapping that I'd not heard before.
I've not played around with position yet, they are a foot from the back wall at the moment.
Lots of music to re listen to.

I've taken the plunge and bought a pair of gold badge, arrived to me on Tuesday. Need some new stands now, sold my Custom designs to the Bish (can I have em back)?
First impressions, top end a bit edgy but wow the soundstage is superb, everything in proportion, real instruments like saxes really come alive. Bass don't seem like i'm missing anything. Volume in my small room is not a problem in fact it's quite loud enough for me.
That was the first day, second day top end edginess all but disappeared and theey are now really starting to resolve more.
Nirvana Unplugged, almost like being there. Live recordings reveal audience clapping that I'd not heard before.
I've not played around with position yet, they are a foot from the back wall at the moment.
First thing : I never heard anybody complaining about any Falcon speakers so you can’t go wrong, no doubt in my mind.
I'm also always very amazed at all the music you can get from such small speakers and always found that "live" effect I don’t really hear with many other speakers if not most of them.

I also found them a little bright initially – not too much, but it was noticeable coming from P3ESR and SHL5+, which (in my view) are more illuminated than other Harbeths.

I felt that the sound fleshed out a little more over the first couple of weeks. I'm always a bit wary of this and believe it's more about getting used to a new sound but in this case, I'm feeling confident there was a change with a few miles on the clock! I have now moved home, and now in the smaller room they were intended for (moved from 5.5 x 4.5m down to 4x4m), they sound warmer and darker, but equally lovely. They're very nice at low volumes also, retaining plenty of detail.

I once had P3ESR in this smaller room, and always wanted a bit more sparkle. I have spent time and money swapping speakers and boxes to get a bit more openness and 'in the room' sound, without going loud. If I had the Falcons a few years ago, I think they would have fit the bill. Still, nice to try different designs through the years.

I still rate the P3ESR a lot – and as mentioned – they really come alive with a bit of volume and power and do very well in larger spaces compared to many mini monitors. They don't get shouty. I'd love to try them side by side with the Falcons when we eventually move back to a larger space, with no neighbours, and give them a good bake off.

I also found them a little bright initially – not too much, but it was noticeable coming from P3ESR and SHL5+, which (in my view) are more illuminated than other Harbeths.

I felt that the sound fleshed out a little more over the first couple of weeks. I'm always a bit wary of this and believe it's more about getting used to a new sound but in this case, I'm feeling confident there was a change with a few miles on the clock! I have now moved home, and now in the smaller room they were intended for (moved from 5.5 x 4.5m down to 4x4m), they sound warmer and darker, but equally lovely. They're very nice at low volumes also, retaining plenty of detail.

I once had P3ESR in this smaller room, and always wanted a bit more sparkle. I have spent time and money swapping speakers and boxes to get a bit more openness and 'in the room' sound, without going loud. If I had the Falcons a few years ago, I think they would have fit the bill. Still, nice to try different designs through the years.

I still rate the P3ESR a lot – and as mentioned – they really come alive with a bit of volume and power and do very well in larger spaces compared to many mini monitors. They don't get shouty. I'd love to try them side by side with the Falcons when we eventually move back to a larger space, with no neighbours, and give them a good bake off.

To be honest I’m not hearing anything but beguiling right now. The top end initially was the first three or four tracks, not a hint of it now. It’s really easy to just listen for hours so un fatigued are they.
I’ve owned the Harbeth but they never sounded like these and they really did like a good bit of space that I couldn’t give them, as nice as they were.

advertisement

Back