advertisement

iPhone 13

I never go to a bank at all now, my banks iPad app even allows any cheques to be scanned in with the camera now (that was the final thing I needed a local branch for)! By saying that I obviously run an online business and have done for twenty odd years now, I need these tools just to do the job.

There are so few bank branches now it is almost impossible to rely on old school banking. This is an issue for my dad who refuses to have anything to do with computers, smart phones or online banking in any form. He wanted to pay in a check from a friend in the village and he had to drive 20 miles to Peterborough to find a bank that had a counter service and not a machine to pay the cheque in with.

There are so few bank branches now it is almost impossible to rely on old school banking. This is an issue for my dad who refuses to have anything to do with computers, smart phones or online banking in any form. He wanted to pay in a check from a friend in the village and he had to drive 20 miles to Peterborough to find a bank that had a counter service and not a machine to pay the cheque in with.

Like your father, I find this a bit disturbing. Give him my best regards!

I never go to a bank at all now, my banks iPad app even allows any cheques to be scanned in with the camera now (that was the final thing I needed a local branch for)! By saying that I obviously run an online business and have done for twenty odd years now, I need these tools just to do the job.
My bank (largest in Australasia) does not accept cheque deposits or issue cheques since the middle of this year. The last time I wrote a cheque was eight years ago, when I paid for my car. Except for the occasional cash deposits from selling stuff, I never go to the bank. In fact, they prefer I didn't, which is why they'd charge for going to a teller to change an automatic payment (it's free via online), or to withdraw cash (it's free via ATM).

I still write about half a dozen checks a year, mostly one-time payouts to contractors or healthcare providers.

Could have paid almost everything online, but didn’t want to go through the hassle of setting up bill pay vendor profiles for one-off, non-repeating services.

For the past few months I've been unable to use my pre-paid card for online purchases. It seems my bank wants me to go on some website, register with a username and password, obtain a further security code, etc. And a foreign bank account with which I was supposed to have online access now blocks it if you don't use it for a certain period and demands that you change passwords at least every 6 months. What is supposed to be "fast and convenient" seems to be getting increasingly complex. I think the basic thing is that banks want you to do the work they did before.

I've just bought a 12Pro secondhand from a bike forum I belong to - too tempting a price to turn down. It's a massive step up from the 7 I have, and the cameras are in a different league - the whole phone experience is. I suspect the 13 with the variable refresh and 3x tele (it's 2x on the 12) will be better still, I just couldn't justify the extra £££. Facial recognition is scarily good (masks notwithstanding) and I've already forgotten there's no home button.

Wow amazed by the short battery lives, my old Samsung Galaxy 9 battery lasts about 5 days.

Ordered 13 standard on Friday 8pm from JL and arrived yesterday (Saturday) at 11am. Maybe the supply thing is getting sorted, but the 13 Pros seem to harder to find. I didn't really need one as the 11 Pro Max was still doing fine, but it wouldn't fit in the car dock, and mrs fiveamp's cheap Honor was driving us all nuts, so she got the 11 and we both got upgrades and hopefully we are both sorted for about the next four/five years.

Wow amazed by the short battery lives, my old Samsung Galaxy 9 battery lasts about 5 days.

What do you do with it?

PS I have to charge my fairly recent iPad Pro more than once a day as I’m online so much! I can flatten most phone batteries in a few hours.

I find the Pro Max battery life very impressive. I use it a lot for watching videos and surfing (or FaceTiming) and when it’s time to turn in it still shows 70 %.
But it’s two weeks old… and I’m not using it outside in summer!

But you can pay cheques into most bank accounts at any post office counter. Does he not know this?

But you can pay cheques into most bank accounts at any post office counter. Does he not know this?

Whilst there is a closer post office, it is still a 7 mile drive away and you need a paying in slip as they have always run out. Basically it is not as simple as it used to be and he is 90 and it is not what he was used to with a local bank branch. He is a bit stuck in his own ways as many are at that age.

Whilst there is a closer post office, it is still a 7 mile drive away and you need a paying in slip as they have always run out. Basically it is not as simple as it used to be and he is 90 and it is not what he was used to with a local bank branch. He is a bit stuck in his own ways as many are at that age.

I can understand him. What before was a short walk to the local bank an exchange of pleasantries with a teller, has become a nightmare of computers, websites, logins, usernames, security codes and passwords, without even an excuse for getting out of the house and seeing another human being.

I've just ordered one having dropped my XR on the kitchen floor whilst showing my neighbour how the NHS app works. Grrr.
I like the form factor so will be getting the standard 13. Like Tony I tend to buy Product RED versions too.

Are there any recommendations for a good, clear, protective case for it?

I've just ordered one having dropped my XR on the kitchen floor whilst showing my neighbour how the NHS app works. Grrr.
I like the form factor so will be getting the standard 13. Like Tony I tend to buy Product RED versions too.

Are there any recommendations for a good, clear, protective case for it?

I'd recommend a decent silicone type Spigen case (don't know if the clear ones offer the same amount of protection) plus a glass screen protector. I've dropped my X a couple of times on and the worst that happened was the screen protector cracked but at £3 to replace, I'll take that hit.

I would definitely consider taking out Applecare on a 13 for as long as possible.. these are the repair prices out of warranty.

iPhone 13
Screen repair (out of warranty)
iPhone 13 Pro Max £ 316.44
iPhone 13 Pro £ 266.44
iPhone 13 £ 266.44
iPhone 13 mini £ 216.44

iPhone 13 Other damage (out of warranty)
iPhone 13 Pro Max £ 566.44
iPhone 13 Pro £ 526.44
iPhone 13 £ 426.44
iPhone 13 mini £ 376.44

Anyone else’s eyes watering?

I’ve never broken a phone or other IT device in my life, so a waste of money from my perspective. The six year statutory cover against manufacturing fault or unfitness for purpose is all I’ve ever need (I do use a very good Otterbox case). This phone is technically a lot more robust than my 6S too as it is water resistant to the point you can apparently submerge it for a short time (earlier iPhones like the 6S can apparently die just through condensation etc, let alone water spills!). I view AppleCare as a total rip-off to be honest.

Same here. I have never broken an iPhone screen in 12 years.
I did save an awful lot of good money by never buying any Apple Care policy (plan) in 20 years of buying Apple!
While my friends who buy plastic laptops have to replace them every now and then, my Apple stuff give sterling service for many, many years.

Yes, repairs with genuine Apple parts are expensive. I’ve seen too many friends have their iPhones badly fixed with fake parts. Ugly jobs.

advertisement

Back