advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

Nope, enabled it in BIOS. Annoyed it times out and there is no option to keep it on all the time.
Look for a Dell Utility like this for your model number it might give you more options, think it was mainly to fix Win 8 though
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=MHVWP

These are the common commands depending on the Dell model to control the keyboard backlight. Repeatedly pressing the combo cycles through on/off/dim/bright. Newer ones a ALS - ambient light sensor. The light goes off to save battery if no keys are pressed for a few seconds.

Dell E6440 is FN+Right Arrow

A couple others are ALT+F10 and FN+F10 and F5

I've given the "upgrade whatever your hardware" option a whirl following the link above. It all worked fine. You can only do a clean install with that method, unless you want to wait for the MS pushed update, but can preserve the previous C: drive contents. The previous license key was validated.

Looks like good news for Linux. 8-]

...unless, of course, this is another attempt by MS to get makers to only sell hardware that refuses to run any other OS than the 'blessed' MS11.

I think that ship has sailed Jim.

Linux has been waiting to take over for so long with repeat proclamations of 'this will be the year of the Linux desktop'.

It will never happen for two reasons.

When it comes to unifying around a standard Linux desktop paradigm, Linux developers and the community are hopeless. Couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.
Secondly, if Linux gains significant market share its existence becomes pretty pointless, since gaining market share means adopting the 'evils' which come with the use of Windows and Mac OS.

The Linux kernel of course sits at the base of Chrome OS (demonstrating the above point) and that does have significant market share, but even Google are set to move away pretty soon.

Leave it for servers and paranoid tinkerers ;)

I think they might have improved, though a search of iFixit suggests they were still producing toxic unserviceable plastic landfill shit two years ago. I’m sure I saw somewhere that they have taken on board customer and industry feedback, which is clearly the case if the claim to support RtR is true. They certainly had a long way to go as the Surface really was as bad as computers get; at least as much glue as Apple, but made out of cheap plastic crap that melted with a heat gun!

I have a Surface 7 which seems to be mostly magnesium alloy and glass.
On the 7+ and latest versions you can expand storage and also swap out the SSD - it actually has a user removable flap, plus they've actually made a little thicker (and heavier) and moved to recyclable aluminium - so some progress :)
I'm still not completely sold on having carpet on the keyboard.

After a day of fighting with the Asus website, I have managed to update the bios and now qualify for Windows 11 with a Ryzen 7 2700X. As MS and AMD appear to have problems with 11, I will wait.

I have a Surface 7 which seems to be mostly magnesium alloy and glass.
On the 7+ and latest versions you can expand storage and also swap out the SSD - it actually has a user removable flap, plus they've actually made a little thicker (and heavier) and moved to recyclable aluminium - so some progress :)
I'm still not completely sold on having carpet on the keyboard.

Yeah like any carpet its nice, right up to the point its not nice

I think that ship has sailed Jim.

Linux has been waiting to take over for so long with repeat proclamations of 'this will be the year of the Linux desktop'.

Leave it for servers and paranoid tinkerers ;)

Erm... I wasn't assuming it would "take over". :) Simply that as MS p1ss people off, more of them find Linux a good alternative.

OK, I am a paranoid tinkerer, 8-] but like the choice available from Linux... as do others. As with RO, most of my day-to-day use is via the desktop GUI as that does a good job of behaving how *I* want.

Linux is fine unless you actually want to do something! It’s always the ‘killer apps’ that force you to a mainstream OS, Logic Pro, ProTools, AutoCAD, Photoshop etc. It would be the same for gamers, and M$ pretty much own that one outright.

Erm... I wasn't assuming it would "take over". :) Simply that as MS p1ss people off, more of them find Linux a good alternative.

OK, I am a paranoid tinkerer, 8-] but like the choice available from Linux... as do others. As with RO, most of my day-to-day use is via the desktop GUI as that does a good job of behaving how *I* want.
The problem with Linux is that for the general computer user it can't really be used successfully out-of-the-box. I have several elderly ladies happily using Linux Mint now for two years and even running some old Windows games. Not a single complaint nor hiccup but I did preconfigure those laptops.

Cheers,

DV

Linux is fine unless you actually want to do something! It’s always the ‘killer apps’ that force you to a mainstream OS, Logic Pro, ProTools, AutoCAD, Photoshop etc. It would be the same for gamers, and M$ pretty much own that one outright.
The thing is what does the average general user want to do? The bulk want web browsing, email, a word processor, zoom, minimal manipulation of photos etc and thats easily achieved almost out-of-the-box.

You'd be surprised how much Windows based stuff can actually run under Linux.

Cheers,

DV

The thing is what does the average general user want to do? The bulk want web browsing, email, a word processor, zoom, minimal manipulation of photos etc and thats easily achieved almost out-of-the-box.

Very true. I’d argue Chromium did everything most folk need without any faff or configuration at all, and you can now get it for a Raspberry Pi!

The problem with linux is the nerds, support, forums etc are simply a nightmare.

I used it as my main desktop for 3 years. OpenSuse with KDE Plasma desktop.
I really enjoyed it and I'm glad to have stuck with it for a good stretch but nuked it last month for Windows.
I'm fine to forego access to some mainstream applications and inconvenience in the service of a higher purpose, which in the case of Linux for most users is privacy and not handing control to big corporations.
But quite frankly unless you live the life of a hermit, completely off-grid, don't use credit or debit cards, don't use public transport, don't drive a car, don't set foot onto a high street......yadayada.....well you have no privacy, and MS, Google or Apple tracking that I might frequent Betsy's Bouncing B***s online is really not an issue in the grand scheme :)

So I came to the conclusion that unless you are a fully paid up member of the Richard Stallman free software movement, Linux is a bit pointless on the desktop.
I accept that if you live under highly authoritarian regimes, online privacy might well dictate a different choice. Similarly where free software as in free beer is a necessity fir financial reasons.

Well Rob, i'd certainly agree that Linux as a desktop OS hasn't really made it where it needs to be to catch significant market share, and your reasons are probably the right ones.

Of course Android is based on Linux, so you could argue that it dominates the portable market, both for phones and tablets (what, 90% market share or something like that?). As you mention, the Chromebooks are also Android, and they are I believe popular in the US with school age children. Can't say I see the appeal, although i've got one somewhere (for testing some wasm audio stuff I develop).

I stick with OSX as a desktop OS, and ssh to linux boxes for development, and have a windows machine under my desk for when I need to check stuff works on there. Such is the life of a software developer, that you basically end up needing examples of everything to test on, but for development, i'll stick to OSX and Linux as my go to pair.

advertisement

Back