advertisement

Lawn mower , Strimmer , Hedge trimmer , Shredder

AudioAl

pfm Member
Now I have a garden that is not printed concrete I am looking for recommendation on
all the above please, :)

If your lawn is big enough to justify a petrol mower, Honda are very good.

Shredder - decide whether you want one for leaves or wood.

I have a shredder you’re welcome to. A Bosch electric job.

If I were buying a hedge trimmer, strummer and leaf blower again I’d go for Stihl Electric.

Lawn mower depends on the lawn size. I have an old Honda HRX which is lovely and does stripes - do you want stripes?

We bought a stihl petrol strimmer not long back. Brutal thing it is, well recommended. Forget the model but it was about £180

+ 1 on any mower with a Honda engine, though Briggs & Stratton are good too, depending on how big the garden is and how much work you intend doing should be relevant in your choice of purchases for the other items. If it's massive and you're going to be a keen gardener buy good quality stuff, ie Stihl, if it's small too moderate sized and you're going to use these items a few times a year buy cheaper , they'll do the job just fine.

What size is it all? For the tools, as general rule, Stihl or Husqvarna and you won’t go far wrong. For mowers, all depends on size but I’m assuming walk behind rather than ride on? I have 2 decent self propelled walk behinds, a Snapper (commercial grade) and a Husqvarna, both 53cm. The Husq has a Honda engine, the Snapper has a B&S. Both been hammered and stand up to the abuse. Oh, and mulch, don’t collect. Saves hours and better for the lawns. Strimmer, mine is a Stihl FS90, awesome bit of kit. If you have enough lawns for a ride on mower, mine’s a Viking (Stihl), brilliant machine.

If you are staying there for a good while, buy decent kit once, you won’t regret it.

PS congrats on the move, now it’s the fun stuff!

That's the way! One day in the house and already wanting to get out and buy boy's toys!

I remember driving out to Brighton to buy some headphones the same day I drove my wife back from hospital with our first born... :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, as above, lawnmower decision definitely depends on how big and whether you want stripes... +1 for Ponty's comment - "If you are staying there for a good while, buy decent kit once, you won’t regret it."

The lawn is not that big , Say 7 mtrs x 12 mtrs , No strips needed , Not keen on petrol models as they gum up over the winter through lack of use and then need a carb service.
I did own a shredder some years ago and it was next to useless , If you fed it small branches it would stop , If you tried thin it would just wind the branch around the cutter and stall

Not keen on petrol models as they gum up over the winter through lack of use and then need a carb service.

When did you last buy one?
I buy cheap and ignore them totally, always have - the pressed steel body/deck will fall to pieces LONG before any modern engine packs-up. Never had any trouble at all with any engine which always started 2nd or 3rd pull even when stored outdoors under a tilt through each winter. I have got through one cheapie and am on the second here, after 23 years. This one may see me out.
Forget shredders with anything but a huge garden - even then you need a shredder and a chipper (VERY different machines), ideally.
Strimmer, also not needed except by gadget freaks - edges are more easily, accurately and quickly done with decent shears.
Hedge trimmer - as with any battery tools, if you want the hassle of having to buy new when batteries pack up and are obsolete, battery powered ones are great except for huge hedges - I have 3? 4? perfectly serviceable battery drills but no batteries for two, even though one of them arrived with 3 when new. I have a Ryobi mains electric trimmer, that too will likely see me out.

i have something aound 1/4 acre of grass and wild flowers that passes for what some people require to be lawn.

I have swapped my 10 year old (or even older Honda mower) for an EGO battery electric rotary mower with collecting hopper. EGO make different battery capacities. EGO also make a good range of other battery electric garden tools. The batteries are interchangeable across all their products from hedge trimmers, strimmers etc.

Be aware that some of the cheaper smaller battery garden tools do not have batteries that are interchangeable across the range of products. Different chargers as well.
Get friendly with the local garden centre and see what range of tools they sell - a good local stockist might make a lesser range / make of products more useful.

Battery equipment has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years. Worth checking out the options. Over the winter you might get a chance of a good deal.

@Derek Wright has correctly pointed out ideally you should watch battery voltage and chargers compatibility. There can be significant savings buying bare tools and sharing batteries and chargers.

I have a Greenworks, mower, strimmer and long reach hedge cutter which share 2 40v batteries and a charger. I'm thinking of replacing my petrol hedge cutter with one which uses the same battery. I think I can sell the petrol one for enough to buy the battery unit which will be lighter and easier to use on the small hedge I now have after our recent move

The Stihl battery operated mower, hedge trimmer, and strimmer all come with a recommendation from me. They all use the same batteries and recharger. I wouldn't use a petrol motor or kit with a cable.

I wouldn't use a petrol motor or kit with a cable.

If your garden is large, which this isn't, petrol is essential - batteries won't last. As for mains - I have cut my hedge trimmer cable more times than enough - phhuttt - just use proper electrical protection - I fitted a weatherproof inline cable connector about 2 feet from the trimmer an age ago - that is all that I have to rewire now, not the trimmer itself, which is a total and utter PITA to do. The plug top fuse also blows................... FAR cheaper than petrol though, as an extension lead will reach.

get a gardener

This is more sage advice than it might first appear.

In summer it takes me an average of 2 hours a week to keep on top of routine garden maintenance (lawn mowing, strimming, hedge trimming and spraying weeds in the gravel areas). I need to get someone in so I can spend this time improving the garden, rather than just maintaining it. Next year I will get round to sorting this.

For such a small garden I agree 100% with the 'cheap and cheerful' advice.

Our garden is not much bigger than yours and in the 20 years we have been here I have used bottom of the range Bosch ... rotary lawn mower, hedge trimmer and strimmer.
The hedge trimmer went first (after 12 years service) and the lawn mower got replaced about 2 years ago - both like-for-like.
The strimmer gave up the ghost this summer - won't be replacing it (long handle shears are actually just as quick TBH)
In each case the motor burnt out....

Considering they all cost peanuts, pretty cheap gardening really.

TOP TIP - if you tuck the hedge trimmer cable through a belt loop in your pants and secure with a peg you won't chop the cable !!
(learnt the hard way :D)

I have lawns front and back. Roughly 5x5m, and 6x8m. Although a bigger one would have helped, I've managed for years with a Flymo 'hover' mower thingy with about a 12" cut. Takes maybe a couple of hours in total to do front and back, from getting the machines out to putting them back.

I formerly didn't mind this at all as I'm retired and time is not an issue. The exercise is 'a good thing'. This may not be right for the OP, but at least gives a reference point to start from. I'd suggest something similar, possibly cordless and maybe with a wider cut.

I bought an electric strimmer, which 'flips' through 90 degrees from horizontal strimming, to vertical edge trimming. This is an absolute God send and makes keeping border edges tidy, a piece of cake.

Above said, were I younger, I'd be thinking of battery stuff which uses the same battery. I have a few tools from the Ryobi One+ range which prove the concept.

Sadly, I'm very close to having to get a gardener in, as the state of my knees means that even getting the machines out is a trial, and cutting the grass wipes me out.

Fortunately a former neighbour and her partner will cut grass front and back for a tenner. Takes them about 30 minutes.

I'd also suggest that depending on soil and climate, a powered lawn raker is a good investment. It takes an hour or so once or twice a year to rake out all the moss and thatch from the grass, which will result in a much healthier lawn. Of course it can be done manually, but it is back breaking.

Also, don't forget feeding and weeding. Liquid and solid products are available.

advertisement

Back