advertisement

Headphones are go

Del monaco

Del Monaco
A simple, modest set up but my first foray more serious into headphone listening. Decent enough to lay back and enjoy. And most excellent for avoiding hours of Bake Off etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. May be an area I move more towards as my opportunities to just sit and listen are becoming less frequent. The Rega is nice and I may look at some higher impedance headphones as they are a better match apparently. You probably know better. Not megabucks though and preferably used to get better value?

Depends on your budget, and it’s also very personal. I recently sold my Mr Speaker Ethers as I simply don’t spend enough time with headphones to justify keeping them, but for me they were the best circa £1000 ‘phones available.

If you’re anywhere near Hifi Lounge/HiEnd Headphones (same owners/location) and you’re considering new I’d highly recommend them. Fantastic range of headphones. He’ll possibly have some s/h models that have been traded in too.

Depends on your budget, and it’s also very personal. I recently sold my Mr Speaker Ethers as I simply don’t spend enough time with headphones to justify keeping them, but for me they were the best circa £1000 ‘phones available.

If you’re anywhere near Hifi Lounge/HiEnd Headphones (same owners/location) and you’re considering new I’d highly recommend them. Fantastic range of headphones. He’ll possibly have some s/h models that have been traded in too.
Thanks. I’m more inclined to take gentle steps as I’m only just getting back on my feet financially. I quite liked the look of the AKG 701s. Thought they might be a step up from the 92s. Then, if I get the bug, I can look to saving for a more substantial pair that are suitable for my classical, vocal tastes.do you know of the 701s. I’m into vfm.

I use a pair of 702's - like them a lot - much better than equivalently priced Grado's which I find 'hollowed out'.
Some complain they are bass light but I find them fast and accurate without bass emphasis.

Your headphones are similar to what I have, Rega Ear Mk1 with AKG 701's and Beyer Dynamics DT880's, small differences in the sound presentation, but not massive.

Did the upgrade path, the Naim Headline with Napsc, apart from going louder not much difference to the Rega.

Then up to the Quad PA One with a pair of Sennheiser HD800's.

Result back to the Rega with AKG 701's and Beyer's, the differences are pretty small for the amout of money involved when upgrading.

Headphones are a very personal thing, it is the fit to your ears and head that make the difference over long listening sessions.

As has been said easy to play too loud and that will cost you your hearing in the long run, you might not think it is loud but headphones can be deceiving, play them then ask someone to listen at the same volume, you might be surprised how often they will say, way to loud.

The only headphones I might upgrade to would be a pair of Stax, however having heard some I think I would find them fatiguing over a long period of listening as to my ears they were quite bright and strident.

That is my my feelings on headphones, many will disagree, each to their own, also a quick listen is a not the way to audition, you need to use them over a couple of nights to get the feeling of how they fit to your ears and head and how they sound.

How would you describe the 701s?
Nice that you have the same rig,

I would say that the 701's are like the original Naim amps, more dynamic and a little bright can get too much after a while, whereas the Beyers are smoother with a better bass, but the differences are small.

The biggest difference is that the AKG 701's after about an hour feel like that have filled your head with air and they need taken off to release the pressure, whereas the Beyers I can listen to for hours, they have a wonderful smooth feel on your head, they never sound fatiguing, they feel like headphones should do.

However one thing I did not mention, AKG's leak sound a lot, they are semi open backed, the Beyers are closed so you don't have the same sound leakage as the 701's, this also makes it easier to play them at very modest levels and enjoy the music, it's all in your head, whereas the 701's I find I want to turn them up louder.

The only headphones I might upgrade to would be a pair of Stax, however having heard some I think I would find them fatiguing over a long period of listening as to my ears they were quite bright and strident.
Only if not driven properly. The problem with Stax is that the headphones themselves are super sensitive to the quality of the electrostatic amps that drive them, and the Stax own-brand amps don’t do a great job. The third-party amps are where Stax headphone listening really begins; I’d take entry level Stax headphones driven by a Mjolnir over higher-end Stax driven by a standard Stax amp.

I had the KGSSHV Mini 450V. It could do no wrong when paired with SR-007mk1 headphones; really woke them up and gave stunning bass solidity and depth. Still the best overall headphone sound I’ve heard, excepting a memorable few minutes with the original Sennheiser Orpheus in the early nineties….

Did the upgrade path, the Naim Headline with Napsc, apart from going louder not much difference to the Rega.

Thought this was okay in the context of my 552 etc. system, but it wasn'tand I rarely used it to listen to music; only TV. Fed from 552, not NAPST, too. Sold Naim and got a myriad Z40; wow! What a difference!. Cans were and are Senn. 650 and Focal Elear. Not one of Naim's greats (for the price).

Only if not driven properly. The problem with Stax is that the headphones themselves are super sensitive to the quality of the electrostatic amps that drive them, and the Stax own-brand amps don’t do a great job. The third-party amps are where Stax headphone listening really begins; I’d take entry level Stax headphones driven by a Mjolnir over higher-end Stax driven by a standard Stax amp.
Almost every single measurement of the Lambda series shows a similar mid frequency hump (around 1.5 Khz), which has nothing to do with amplification. This fault makes the sound shouty and telephone-like. The third party Stax amp industry is built largely on denial of the faults of the phones themselves.

advertisement

Back