advertisement

Panic!!! Vinyl shortages, empty record racks and increasing prices! Get buying now!

Universal ( 50% + of all new music ) recently pre-booked next 5 years pressing capacity at all the big plants

Music’s big names used to battle over the number one spot.
Today, Ed Sheeran, Abba and Coldplay are fighting simply to get their new records into stores before christmas.

Universal ( 50% + of all new music ) recently pre-booked next 5 years pressing capacity at all the big plants

Today, Ed Sheeran, Abba and Coldplay are fighting simply to get their new records into stores before christmas.

You mean there'll be less Sheeran, Abba and Coldplay in the shops? Every cloud and all that...

If Ed Sheeran and Coldplay fail to get their records into stores, that's probably the best Christmas Present the nation could hope for.

Stocks of Uncle Marchbanks' Olde Orignal Moustache Wax are rumoured to be running low too due to supply chain shortages of something or other. It really doesn't matter what. Just buy as much as you can right now. I suggest the special edition 1kg tin.

blob

There's a good* article on Norman Records' site about the current state of vinyl pressing, plant delays and the big guys muscling the small ones out

https://www.normanrecords.com/features/vinyl-pressing-delays?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly Update 30 September 2021&utm_content=Weekly Update 30 September 2021+CID_236d08ea6cfa8cb2a0b0b7a2e2088d16&utm_source=EmailMarketingSoftware&utm_term=Will investigates

'Say your three-hundred run is next in line. If a Billy Joel octuple-LP boxset comes in (that is an actual thing that’s happening in the actual world by the way), your release will be put back simply because the Billy Joel release will make the plant more money. Newcombe opines that “there are five-hundred fans out there [...] for almost sixty percent of their god awful shit. They are pressing Robbie Williams albums that were never on vinyl; what is the market for that?”

You’ve got to wonder how many artists are being pushed out in favour of money-spinners like ‘Rumours’ or that new ‘KID A MNESIA’ Radiohead release. Imagine a long line of traffic where, as you (in a tiny car) get nearer to the choke point, massive lorries keep skipping the line and cutting in again and again. I say; MAKE WAY FOR THE PEUGEOT 206, MY BROTHER!'

*as in well-written, cos the news is shit.

Does anyone under 40 but any physical media any more?

I'm not under 40, so I probably shouldn't be answering that question, but if I didn't buy physical media, I wouldn't bother with the hi-fi tbh. You're probably right about most of the younger sector in society though!

I'm not under 40, so I probably shouldn't be answering that question, but if I didn't buy physical media, I wouldn't bother with the hi-fi tbh. You're probably right about most of the younger sector in society though!
The under 40s generally don't buy hifi either, so that's consistent with your sentiment. All this stuff we value is likely to be impossible to give away in 20 years time. For every Rolex Submarine r and Porsche 911 RS there are a million Austin Maestros, Betamax videos and 1981 royal wedding teacups. So when are you getting ahead of the curve and buying them before they triple in price?

Stocks of Uncle Marchbanks' Olde Orignal Moustache Wax are rumoured to be running low too due to supply chain shortages of something or other. It really doesn't matter what. Just buy as much as you can right now. I suggest the special edition 1kg tin.

you've got one option - shave the ugly f×cker off

I’ve got nearly two thousand classical lps I rarely listen to but, oddly, they are a great sound barrier so I can listen to my few jazz albums without the semi- detached neighbours having a hissy fit

advertisement

Back