advertisement

Wish I'd discovered this forum before wasting £220 on an Audiolab 8000a!

I would agree, in some respects, that the 8000A can be a ‘Marmite’ amplifier.
Yes, some people don’t like it.

What I don’t like are comments like the one I read on PFM a while ago.
‘I wouldn’t use one as a doorstop.’
I certainly wouldn’t ask someone like him for an opinion on any audio equipment.

Pioneer precision is fab, owned it and 400gte (Townsend turbo”d it).
Early farlowe era Exposure really safe bet, full of colour and musicality and lots around, easily serviced and simple reliable design.
I think 8000a based on AR60 design, but not as good, AR60 still a gem.

Not sure how it would play with the celef's but the lk cased linn majik integrated could be found easily within budget.
Another option would be to acquire a power amp and use the pre outs on the 8000A. I used a rotel rb981 from mine and it definitely improved the sound, or you could stick with audiolab and get an 8000p.
you could then upgrade the 8000A to a better pre when funds allow.
whichever route you choose have fun

I certainly wouldn’t ask someone like him for an opinion on any audio equipment.

To be fair they're not really heavy enough :)

Pioneer precision is fab, owned it and 400gte (Townsend turbo”d it).
Early farlowe era Exposure really safe bet, full of colour and musicality and lots around, easily serviced and simple reliable design.
I think 8000a based on AR60 design, but not as good, AR60 still a gem.

I understand the 8000A was a completely new design, by Philip Swift.
As far as I know, there’s no connection between Audiolab & A & R Cambridge ( Arcam ) amplifiers.

Wasn’t sure, but I thought ide heard somewhere that 8000a was a beefed up a60.
Live an learn.

And to think all those years ago the 8000a was my first proper amplifier. I liked it, a lot. Yet I do understand why others don’t. Marmite!

Its a perfectly valid opinion. Why mince words?

Audiolab sold 1000's of these amps so I would suggest it can't all have been hype - more a case of careful or careless system matching as per usual.

I've got an 8000A (in my daughters system now) and an 8000S (which replaced an Onix DNA-45 in our living room set-up) and like both, so I suspect whether you like them or not may depend a lot on other factors - the condition of the amps, the sources and speakers they're used with, and personal preference. In the £200-300 price range then something like a Nait 3 is worth a look (I also have one of those although unlike the two Audiolab's it's not in use at the moment) as it's very different although not necessarily better. One of the little Cyrus amps also might be worth a look (we have the Straightline version and I find it a decent little amp).

I don’t think the OP should judge what is, after all, a rather old amplifier, unless it’s been serviced and is operating as it should. Flat and lifeless suggests it’s in need of some tlc. Then it’ll be less flat and lifeless, and the greyness will shine through! ;)

Never spent much time with Audiolab, so no strong basis for an opinion, but as others have said, you can probably do better. Getting it serviced is a gamble though, if you still don’t like it, as you’ll probably not add the full costs to the value if the amp. Arguably better to just move it on via eBay and probably get most of your money back.

We used to keep one along with a mission Cyrus and pioneer A400 , because hype can indeed sell thousands of lemons. people used to ask if we had done something underhand to make them sound so bad. We didn’t need to.

The HK6500 was my first proper amp. Loved it for its lively and powerful sound. I’ve since owned (amongst many others) Audiolab and Tag McLaren (audiolab in disguise) amps which, while more ‘hifi’ than the HK, weren’t as engaging…

Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard an Audiolab amp.. but I'm beginning to understand why one dealer described them as ' Audiodrab'.

I was present at the Heathrow Show when, with supreme arrogance, Tag McLaren turned up having bought Audiolab, but not yet produced any kit. They actually dominated a Hi Fi Show without having any kit to show... just 'loadsamoney'.. They didn't last long.. nor did they deserve to.

I also don't know the Celef speakers.. but based on others' amp recs here, I'd also suggest the ION Systems amps if you can find one. Obelisk 1, 2 or 3..or better still the 3X with X-PAK psu. I still regret selling mine.

The HK6500 was my first proper amp. Loved it for its lively and powerful sound. I’ve since owned (amongst many others) Audiolab and Tag McLaren (audiolab in disguise) amps which, while more ‘hifi’ than the HK, weren’t as engaging…
Having owned both, I'd rank the HK way above the Audiolab...used both into big tannoys, where the Audiolab didn't shine, and my folks have the HK into a pair of JBL 4410s, where it does - a very respectable bit of kit.

Well I wouldn't use one as a doorstop either:p

Bit expensive and asking to get damaged.

Spot on comment if you ask me;);)

advertisement

Back