advertisement

Whisky II

I’m not sure it knows what it wants to be, yet. But I do think it’s a promising start. Worth trying a dram or two, even if you’re not ready to invest in a bottle yet. I think I’d prefer it to the Ledaig, for example. Whereas I think the Arran uses the Amarone notes to complement the whisky, I find the Ledaig relies a bit too much on the Rioja to give character.

Can understand that, but the Ledaig for me is at least trying to be interesting, and it is...

The Arran's are special IMO more so at their price...

The Lakes whisky for me, is trying to be a Penderyn and The English Whisky...

Which IMO, haven't quite got it, yet...

That'll do it! There's a bottling called Scarabus, which is exactly the same thing IIRC. Both put me in mind of Smokehead, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all come getting the same place.

Yup, can see that

Although this is smoother than Smokehead IMO.

Alas I've had enough, it's sent me straight into meltdown, so a brew and bed I think...

Age is catching me up :D

Well I’m off to the Wright Wine Company in Skipton on Thursday to sample a few singles and top up my collection for Xmas. ;)
Well, no samples to be had, but came away with a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism, and a 15 year old Dalwhinnie. Happy days, who needs diesel, not me, until Monday;)

That spelling rather confirms that! Here's an early lesson - whisky from Scotland never, ever has an "e". American, Irish, Canadian always does.
Here endeth the first lesson.

That's embarrassing being a Brit - my excuse is being in the USA it was the spellcheckers fault :D

I have a bottle already and when it's finished it won't be replaced.
I don’t disagree, I felt much the same about the bottle I’ve got, but this evening I tried it with a splash of water. It’s not at all bad that way. Normally I only add water to cask strength whiskies, but it did seem to help the Ledaig develop some character.

As I understand the 15 used to have a lot of older whisky in it, less so now. Been meaning to try some since I’ve discovered I like a sherry-bomb, but prices getting a wee bit steep. The 12 looks a good price but at 43% will give it a miss.
They’ve certainly not made many fans with their decision to chill filter. Expect prices of old stock to rise!

Is it Glendronach who have started chill filtering all of a sudden?

No idea; I don't care TBH

Stuff like that doesn't bother me with standard whiskies; if it were cask, I'd probably give it a go etc

As long as it's up to standard with taste; why look down on it because they've change the way they process things?!

No idea; I don't care TBH

Stuff like that doesn't bother me with standard whiskies; if it were cask, I'd probably give it a go etc

As long as it's up to standard with taste; why look down on it because they've change the way they process things?!
Because chill-filtration, by removing the heavy components, impacts the taste in manys opinion. I can't seeing it improving things anyhoo. And why do it? It adds to the production costs so...Rumour has it that the move to chill-filtration is a precursor to a reduction in abv across the range. They paid a lot of money to Billy Walker and co....need to recoup.

Sherry bomb fans at least have a ready made alternative with Glenallachie. Or Arran. Or Edradour.

Because it has a direct bearing on taste* It’s a clear indication that they are prepared to sacrifice flavour to ensure consistency in appearance to increase sales.

* ask Bruichladdich, or Bunnahabhain, or Arran, or Springbank, or Deanston, or Ardbeg....

As I understand the 15 used to have a lot of older whisky in it, less so now. Been meaning to try some since I’ve discovered I like a sherry-bomb, but prices getting a wee bit steep. The 12 looks a good price but at 43% will give it a miss.
They’ve certainly not made many fans with their decision to chill filter. Expect prices of old stock to rise!

The 15s still worth it IMO. It's a superb dram

Bunna just released a 40%er in the Taiwanese market...sent a bit of a shockwave around the faithful. "What next?"

Because it has a direct bearing on taste* It’s a clear indication that they are prepared to sacrifice flavour to ensure consistency in appearance to increase sales.

* ask Bruichladdich, or Bunnahabhain, or Arran, or Springbank, or Deanston, or Ardbeg....

I've had plenty of non CF and CF whiskies; never have I thought it's affected the taste that much that I'd never buy again

For me, the drop in ABV affects the whisky more and that's when I'd reconsider

Each to their own; but I do think more is made of it at times

advertisement

Back