advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

Bill Evans Trio ‘64 arrived today. A very lovely thing. Not compared it to my 90s CD yet but am enjoying it very much.

:eek:I was joking when I said in the BN Classics thread that AS Verve might put up this 'Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas' up as competition to the Duke Pearson 'Merry Old Soul' BN Classic, but (unfortunately) it seems I have hidden predictive powers I was not aware of. Coming on 22nd October:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099C8F4QJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
:eek::(

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bill Evans Trio ‘64 arrived today. A very lovely thing. Not compared it to my 90s CD yet but am enjoying it very much.

I got that one a few days ago and it was new to me. Glad I took a risk buying it blind.

Just playing the Oliver Nelson now. I’ve got the Verve Vital Vinyl release (with the alternate cover art) from a couple of years ago but the packaging looked so good with the AS version I had to have it.

The Oliver Nelson sounds great, but once again my copy has a seam split - that's 3 out of 4 for me.

The Oliver Nelson sounds great, but once again my copy has a seam split - that's 3 out of 4 for me.
It can be a problem with these thick card stiff gatefold sleeves I have had it on a couple of TP's and Music Matters as well, particularly the 2x45rpm' with one record each side. Sometimes if it has not already happened in the shipping it can happen when you first open them if the records are hard against the fold. These days when they arrive I take the records out before unfolding the gatefold and then 'Carefully' flex the fold a few times and this helps to avoid it happening later.

It can be a problem with these thick card stiff gatefold sleeves I have had it on a couple of TP's and Music Matters as well, particularly the 2x45rpm' with one record each side. Sometimes if it has not already happened in the shipping it can happen when you first open them if the records are hard against the fold. These days when they arrive I take the records out before unfolding the gatefold and then 'Carefully' flex the fold a few times and this helps to avoid it happening later.
Weird thing is these are all along the top. Easy to miss at first.

Never had a top seam split aside from the Blue Note store (who’s packing is awful), though I have at least one with a split in the inner gatefold. This is fairly common with tip-on sleeves as it really is paper-thin at that point.

I have not had any top seam splits either, but I can see the potential for that if the records can slide around.

I know a few people here have had problems with Amazon packaging as well. Last week I had three records delivered from them. One was preordered sometime ago and that came loose in a large box sliding around potentially damage waiting to happen. The other two were ordered last week and I noticed when ordering that Amazon gave the option to 'put in Amazon packaging as contents maybe visible' so I ticked that box for both. Both these came together in the same large box, but inside they were both in strong mailers and also had stuffing packaging. I'm not sure if that will work everytime, but I'll continue to tick these when I order from them.

Yes, I do that too. I’ve had very little damaged from Amazon, and in the few examples their returns policy is just superb. One massive advantage they have is their logistics and delivery chain is in-house, the BN Store’s packaging is worse, and then they hand it to bloody Hermes or Yodel (can’t remember which, but they are both the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to damaging stuff)!

Yes, I do that too. I’ve had very little damaged from Amazon, and in the few examples their returns policy is just superb. One massive advantage they have is their logistics and delivery chain is in-house, the BN Store’s packaging is worse, and then they hand it to bloody Hermes or Yodel (can’t remember which, but they are both the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to damaging stuff)!
I only ordered once from them. Never again the jokers who did the delivery dropped it over our garden fence in the rain even though we were in they didn't try ringing the bell. Packaging was damaged, but just by good luck as I retrieved it quickly, but the contents were OK.

Hermes claim to fame here is throwing my CRT oscilloscope over the 6’ brick back wall and onto the concrete back yard! Thankfully the seller had packed it so amazingly well so it survived without the slightest issue. I’d never use them myself and when winning stuff on eBay I request sellers don’t use them.

I can't find anywhere to pre-order the forthcoming Coltranes. I'm perhaps more resentful than excited, since I've already got multiple Crescents, and I am happy enough with my Japanese VIM pressing. But of course I can't resist.

I can't find anywhere to pre-order the forthcoming Coltranes. I'm perhaps more resentful than excited, since I've already got multiple Crescents, and I am happy enough with my Japanese VIM pressing. But of course I can't resist.
I expect it is the current usual delays as the supposedly September Ella and Louis releases don't seem to be up for preorder yet and the Mingus August deliveries are now put back till 29th October at least on Amazon.

Has anyone taken a punt on the Blues & Abstract Truth and compared it to anything decent yet? It’s buy button is still looking at me even though I have a nice green-label Japanese copy (late-70s I assume). One of my favourite albums, so I may do it despite the extravagance. It has the alternative sleeve design too.

Has anyone taken a punt on the Blues & Abstract Truth and compared it to anything decent yet? It’s buy button is still looking at me even though I have a nice green-label Japanese copy (late-70s I assume). One of my favourite albums, so I may do it despite the extravagance. It has the alternative sleeve design too.

I compared it to my Speakers Corner pressing, and found that the horns and piano sound somewhat fuller, more “real”, if you will, on the new reissue. The differences aren’t huge, and I could happily live with either, but I am very glad to have the new pressing. Now I have both versions of the cover, as well. I think you should just buy it Tony, because you and I both know that that buy button won’t quit with you until you do…

I compared it to my Speakers Corner pressing, and found that the horns and piano sound somewhat fuller, more “real”, if you will, on the new reissue. The differences aren’t huge, and I could happily live with either, but I am very glad to have the new pressing. Now I have both versions of the cover, as well. I think you should just buy it Tony, because you and I both know that that buy button won’t quit with you until you do…

The gatefold jacket is beautiful as well, these AS reissue jackets are very substantial

advertisement

Back