advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal job now for graduates to repay their student loans with.
There's another silver lining, EV.
I doubt that job would be any better than any other for paying-off those large loans. However I have no problem with graduates taking on such jobs, no-one is too good for honest work, I've done jobs like that. This is a perfect opportunity for government to take on a role only it can fulfil and train/employ directly the people to fill positions the private sector claims it can't (and in many cases won't) fulfil without financial cost concerns and passing-on the loss of financial profit to customers.

Government can meet those wage needs. And before anyone jumps in to imagine this is 'inflationary spending' or a 'public debt' or whatever else, when you take someone from unemployment and mobilise that idle resource you create a chain of value and real resource delivery, not a loss or a debt or a cost that can't be met. This has the three-fold benefit of employing idle labour resources (which must otherwise be maintained at a low level to do nothing); transforming people's lives so they become part of the employable rather than the scrap-heap and can, if need be, transfer into the private sector with marketable skills. Also since prices are a function of what government is initially prepared to pay, the wage floor they set becomes the new norm under which the private sector can't fall if it is to purchase labour. If they say they can't meet it, then they depart from the arena.

Ideal job now for graduates to repay their student loans with.
There's another silver lining, EV.

Student loans? :) That is another con in UK.
Many EU countries have state studies for free. You pay only for private education and not necessary better one. In here you have still class system like in India, just hidden behind things like 'student loan'.

It takes a while to train people and it used to be at the expense of the individual. Much easier and cheaper for British companies to employ those already in possession of a licence from Eastern European countries. This has skewed the lorry drivers market for years resulting in lower than expected pay across the industry and hence the low uptake by British drivers.

It takes a while to train people and it used to be at the expense of the individual. Much easier and cheaper for British companies to employ those already in possession of a licence from Eastern European countries. This has skewed the lorry drivers market for years resulting in lower than expected pay across the industry and hence the low uptake by British drivers.

That's only a small part of it. A lot of the haulage is not based here anyway. European hauliers have simply cut the UK routes they used to run bringing stuff here and returning with our exports. We made it more difficult and expensive. Former UK clients in the EU are sourcing from elsewhere, which adds to the fall in demand.

You know that bit about becoming more self-sufficient? Well it cuts both ways.

Student loans? :) That is another con in UK.
Many EU countries have state studies for free. You pay only for private education and not necessary better one. In here you have still class system like in India, just hidden behind things like 'student loan'.

Friends in DK have their kids in university there, all free from fees. A big burden off the family expenses, and from what I can gather they are getting a good education. Some argue that the EU and its members are neoliberal but the reality is somewhat different.

But they have the taxation system to support that. I have been out of the Danish tax system for more than 25 years now, so a lot may have changed, but the top rate was 68% and on average, I paid 50% of my salary in tax. On top of that is the extraordinary car tax they pay, so it all adds up. Remember that we used to be able to afford free universities in this country? What changed? (apart from the percentage of school leavers going to learn media studies and sport science)

Friends in DK have their kids in university there, all free from fees. A big burden off the family expenses, and from what I can gather they are getting a good education. Some argue that the EU and its members are neoliberal but the reality is somewhat different.

The same in much poorer Eastern Europe.
Here you have to speak queens english to be allowed entry to elite schools. Resist it is not, but close to it. But hey! now there is brexit and heaven on earth... I mean petrol stations ;D

But they have the taxation system to support that. I have been out of the Danish tax system for more than 25 years now, so a lot may have changed, but the top rate was 68% and on average, I paid 50% of my salary in tax. On top of that is the extraordinary car tax they pay, so it all adds up. Remember that we used to be able to afford free universities in this country? What changed? (apart from the percentage of school leavers going to learn media studies and sport science)

The tax in DK is eye-watering, at least to those who are used to US/UK rates. Not many loopholes either. The average tax rate is around 45% (top rate 56% though the tax bands may have changed since you lived there). Share of taxes related to income is very high. A lot of taxes go to caring for the elderly/pensions as well. And yes, cars are still expensive. I think at the time in the UK there were concerns about quality and government caps on enrollment which led to a series of reforms that created the university system we have today. There may have been other reasons.

Denmark is an opt-out EU member with a retained sovereign currency. The economies of Scandinavia (though increasingly not in Sweden) tend toward social democracy. The economic approach of the rest of the EU doesn't. If you want an overview of how many EU countries charge fees/partial fees and run a student loan system, they are there for you to peruse.
The patchwork of educational provision (or healthcare differences) are not an argument against the central economic policy of the EU. I don't know why you refuse to do your homework.

The same in much poorer Eastern Europe.
Here you have to speak queens english to be allowed entry to elite schools. Resist it is not, but close to it. But hey! now there is brexit and heaven on earth... I mean petrol stations ;D

Aye, Brexit :). Is English now taught as the official second language in your country/area?

Remember that we used to be able to afford free universities in this country? What changed? (apart from the percentage of school leavers going to learn media studies and sport science)
Exactly that. In the 70s and 80s 5% of 18 year olds went on to study a degree, now it's 20-25% or so. Who's paying for that?

Exactly that. In the 70s and 80s 5% of 18 year olds went on to study a degree, now it's 20-25% or so. Who's paying for that?
These days mostly their parents, loans and a tiny percentage by the LEA.

One of the worst things ever was 'upgrading' technical school/colleges to degree institutions with the appellation "University of..." under the misapprehension that they were somehow not as good. My father went to a technical college, twice a week 'day release' from an apprenticeship (remember those?) plus summer school.

From personal experience with regards to our kids, my wife and I did....the parents.

Since you needed to ask, I take it you don’t have any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back