advertisement

Office Chair

I'm looking for a new office chair too, so am following this thread with interest.

I rather fancy something a bit mcm - I've been watching too much Endeavour lately - and this caught my eye:

es104-leather-brown.jpg
Looks gorgeous, a bit dentist-electric chair, but also very "Mercedes."
I wonder if watching a few "Mad Men" episodes might not be useful. I seem to remember they had lovely furniture from the '50s and '60s.

Cheers Paul! I’m a big fan of MCM. Lovely clean lines and curves. Minimal without being cold.

Yes, and the materials were good. Good wood, good metals, good leather. And there were still craftsmen who knew how to work. At the moment I am sitting on an Emeco chair made in Dec. 1953 or 1958, according to the label under the seat. The model with lightly padded back and arm rests, I believe originally designed for the US Navy. Very utilitarian, but really well made.

This is my chair, I love it and cannot imagine replacing it unless it broke. I admit I got a bit lucky in a charity shop find, which helped

008i3skNgy1guvrngrz7mj60qo0zkanq02.jpg

It looks like it should not be comfortable, but I can sit in it all day. I dont because I have a rising desk. I like that its all plastic as well easy to keep clean, and no sweat what so ever.

Cheers Paul! I’m a big fan of MCM. Lovely clean lines and curves. Minimal without being cold.
I too am a fan, but have you noticed that almost everything is now being advertised or described as mcm, including some frightful old junk, when it often really isn't ?

I grabbed a pair of Aerons last night for £175/each. I'll see how I go but couldn't refuse at that price and our house has a painter wife and three ones coming into serious study phase so plenty of seat time. I'll try one myself and see how I go. It definitely has better lumbar support than my current chair

I'll keep an eye on the used market here as the odd gem comes up. People have to really discount this sort of premium stuff to shift them in the NI market

Last edited:

advertisement

Back