advertisement

Lorry drivers and poor pay& conditions.

More likely import 50,000 Indian or Bangladeshi drivers with "genuine" licenses

No need, there must be thousands of drivers from Afganistan who have been trained by Taliban or Al Qaida (or even US) to drive military vehicles and were recently airlifted out?? Interesting future,

FF

I can't imagine the impact of all this on Britain's productivity this week, but it is not going to be trivial.

Yup. Chickens coming home to roost, perhaps. Companies need to start thinking of staff as people with lives, rather than as assets to sweat.

True. It is bloody hard graft fighting for better conditions. I've been doing this since 2017. I'm just an ordinary bloke, not a TU Representative.

It is damning that it has taken a situation like this to bring this stuff to the attention of the General Public.

The editorial in this month's Buses Magazine appears to suggest that a shortage of Bus Drivers might be next...

Yup. Chickens coming home to roost, perhaps. Companies need to start thinking of staff as people with lives, rather than as assets to sweat.

I'm not saying you're wrong but where's the money going to come from?

Increased prices probably. The low wage, high staff turnover model is not sustainable. This situation is proof of that.
So the money could come from improved productivity: less staff turnover, less sickness, for starters.

Agreed. I just can't see any road haulier going first on that, for fear of pricing themselves out of the market.

Market Conditions. The poorly run operators will fold. We are beginning to see who is bathing naked as the tide is drawing out...

I don't trust the government will address this properly. They will continue with the short termism that got us here in the first place...

Short termism isn't the answer. The Government needs to drive up standards for operators and service providers so that drivers are attracted to the jobs. They should undertake a comprehensive strategic review on the whole industry and develop a long term strategic plan. Delivery operators is a massive industry which is growing year-on-year from the big HGVs down to the guy on a bike with Diliveroo. Workers need protecting.

For example, Government could look at strengthening legislation and licensing of official truck stop areas to ensure that facilities such as toilets, showers etc. are provided and maintained to minimum good standards. According to Wikipedia, there are 3 main service providers - Moto, Welcome Break and Roadchef. Smaller operators include Extra, Westmorland and EuroGarages. So start with them and work backwards. If they fail to provide these good standards, they are fined initially, warned and if they fail to fix they lose their license to operate and have to sell up to another operator. There will be some easy fixes, some medium and some long term fixes, but the Government should set the benchmark so that the industry becomes more attractive to these vital infrastructure workers.

Short termism isn't the answer. The Government needs to drive up standards for operators and service providers so that drivers are attracted to the jobs. They should undertake a comprehensive strategic review on the whole industry and develop a long term strategic plan. Delivery operators is a massive industry which is growing year-on-year from the big HGVs down to the guy on a bike with Diliveroo. Workers need protecting.

For example, Government could look at strengthening legislation and licensing of official truck stop areas to ensure that facilities such as toilets, showers etc. are provided and maintained to minimum good standards. According to Wikipedia, there are 3 main service providers - Moto, Welcome Break and Roadchef. Smaller operators include Extra, Westmorland and EuroGarages. So start with them and work backwards. If they fail to provide these good standards, they are fined initially, warned and if they fail to fix they lose their license to operate and have to sell up to another operator. There will be some easy fixes, some medium and some long term fixes, but the Government should set the benchmark so that the industry becomes more attractive to these vital infrastructure workers.

Absolutely bang on. Top post! Incidentally, just spoken with family in Belgium. Same problems with fuel there...

This is brilliant and true, but you know what the companies cry every time this is put forward: 'government interference' and 'we can't achieve it without going out of business or passing on costs!' It leads to that circle where representatives of business groups appear on TV telling the public that government is 'penalising small businesses' and essentially destroying jobs for everyone. No matter that it's a falsehood.
Fact is though many companies can't increase to a living wage + decent conditions without being affected, the economy dictates it. and bigger companies can set up propaganda for why they shouldn't. In one sense there's no sense in fining small companies on a thin credit line, they'll just go bust and fold and big operators have more power to pay their poverty wages.

Thanks to Covid we now know who the key workers are. It's not the lawyers, accountants or politicians, it's the people who staff our hospitals, schools, supermarkets and essential infrastructure. And those who keep our vital supply chains running and help maintain order.

So, are we going to recognise their fundamental importance by paying them a proper wage and providing decent working conditions?

Are we hell.

And until this changes, we'll remain screwed as a country. I guess we're used to it now. Even the 'labour' party doesn't take this position.

Thanks to Covid we now know who the key workers are. It's not the lawyers, accountants or politicians, it's the people who staff our hospitals, schools, supermarkets and essential infrastructure. And those who keep our vital supply chains running and help maintain order.

So, are we going to recognise their fundamental importance by paying them a proper wage and providing decent working conditions?

Are we hell.

And until this changes, we'll remain screwed as a country. I guess we're used to it now. Even the 'labour' party doesn't take this position.

It is my belief that the outdated Class System has a lot to do with this. Leads to the 'I'm alright Jack, sod the others' mentality.

People see a lot of the mentioned above as below them for some reason; yet they seem to respect 'Social Media influencers'... Go figure.

I live in a well to do town. When I am asked what I do for a living, if I say I'm a Bus Driver, that usually shuts the conversation down.

It is my belief that the outdated Class System has a lot to do with this. Leads to the 'I'm alright Jack, sod the others' mentality.

People see a lot of the mentioned above as below them for some reason; yet they seem to respect 'Social Media influencers'... Go figure.

I live in a well to do town. When I am asked what I do for a living, if I say I'm a Bus Driver, that usually shuts the conversation down.

100% this ^^^^ Snobbery is alive and well.

How sad those people are. I know exactly what you mean though. I know people myself who view public transport as beneath them and yet they want to be seen as middle class Greens. I love public transport and I love using it. I always make a point in thanking the bus driver on my way off. It's the least I can do and hopefully, they feel a little appreciation on their shift.

advertisement

Back