advertisement

Office Chair

The Areon is a very comfortable chair, but if you have any kind of back problems, they may not be the best. They also occupy more floor area than the average office chair.

That's interesting. My lower back is giving me issues but it may be because my current char is past its used by date. Floorspace isn't an issue. I also want to get decent chairs for my wife and kids so maybe I pick off a few second hand ones and I should hopefully land on one I like.

Have a google for “Werksitz Klimastar”. Very simple design, but effective and bomb-proof. I use one at the office and one at home.

For me, complicated designs with all sorts of settings are a no-no, as you often end up stuck in a precise position, like in a recaro seat. American car builders in the fifties knew that for long driving hours, it was good to have a wide bench that allowed you to move time and again.

Last edited:
The Aeron is pretty bombproof. I bought a second hand one 18 years ago and it's man enough to deal with my lardy arse on a daily basis. More so since Covid. Little knowm is is that they come in three sizes. If you run your finger along the inside of the seat back top rail you'll feel some pips in the middle. 3 = L, 2 = M, 1 = S. M is the most common.

Modern, so-called ergonomic, office chairs are almost all incredibly ugly. Also, having used a variety of them over the years in various offices, I have not found them to be more comfortable than a good wooden desk chair, upholstered bottom and arm rests, from any period in the 20th century. Some of these are uncomfortable, but some are very comfortable and look a lot better than those steel-and-plastic things. The one my wife uses is from around 1910-20, a round upholstered seat, all wood, and even rotates on roller bearings between the seat and the four legs. (Once a year I remove the upper part and apply grease).

Have a google for “Werksitz Klimastar”. Very simple design, but effective and bomb-proof. I use one at the office and one at home.

They look great too - a lot more domestically acceptable than an Aeron. Not cheap though at ~£600. Is that how much they cost over your way?

I'm looking for a new office chair too, so am following this thread with interest.

I rather fancy something a bit mcm - I've been watching too much Endeavour lately - and this caught my eye:

es104-leather-brown.jpg

They look great too - a lot more domestically acceptable than an Aeron. Not cheap though at ~£600. Is that how much they cost over your way?
The WS 9220 in black PUR integral foam starts at €422. Take the soft foam version if you have a choice.

I have used mine for 10 years and they are both as new (you can clean them). I totally forget my chair when I’m sitting at the desk.

In my life I have chosen to spend more on office chairs than on cars, and when I compare the time I spend in/on them, I found €500 to be a bargain. Normally I’d spend 1k for something proper.

That's interesting. My lower back is giving me issues but it may be because my current char is past its used by date. Floorspace isn't an issue. I also want to get decent chairs for my wife and kids so maybe I pick off a few second hand ones and I should hopefully land on one I like.

If you have a less than perfect back (like me) you really need to speak to an expert and try a few out. Dropping over a grand on an Areon, only to find that even with the £200 lumbar support option added it's no good for your back would smart a bit.

I recommend these - not sure, though, if it's easy for you to visit. Hopefully, there is something similar to them near where you live.

https://www.backinaction.co.uk/

I'm looking for a new office chair too, so am following this thread with interest.

I rather fancy something a bit mcm - I've been watching too much Endeavour lately - and this caught my eye:

es104-leather-brown.jpg
Comfortable, but doesn't it make you sweat like a pig ?

Hille Supporto
Ebay 2nd hand
Most comfortable chair I have ever used and sat in for hours at a time
The white one would have fit well in One Flew Over A Cuckoo's nest

Hille Supporto
Ebay 2nd hand
Most comfortable chair I have ever used and sat in for hours at a time

I'm sure it was great in the 70s but the arms cannot be raised / lowered and the seat angle is not adjustable; both can cause musculoskeletal problems.

I'm sure it was great in the 70s but the arms cannot be raised / lowered and the seat angle is not adjustable; both can cause musculoskeletal problems.

i agree - you need to be able to adjust properly for the correct posture and sitting position to be able to use keyboard/mouse/screen appropriately.

I bought a refurb Humanscale Freedom off Ebay several years ago. Very comfortable & I must spend more than 8 hours a day in it. However the leatherette on the arms & back has now split, leaving me with the choice of a duct tape bodge or an expensive re-upholstering job.

Still happy using my Supporto in home office
Tried a highly recommended, whatever it was with adjustable everything some years back
Ok in the showroom. Never got on with it and very happy to go back to Supporto

The seller of the Aeron has two and £380 the pair. Medium size. I noticed they are the 'Classic' version like in the link below but without the lumbar support. I can actually buy the lumbar support online afterwards.

https://www.officeresale.co.uk/refu...WpgMMXy0bN26SymI-VCrO-_Nz1H1teG1FhM4m1Ex4GrHs

I might go for them as my wife and kids need chairs too so if not for me they would definitely use them.

Gives me a starting point - not many options for used premium office chairs here in NI.

advertisement

Back