advertisement

Which Classic Amplification?

Which Brand

• Total voters
I owned/compared a Naim 32.5/Hicap/160 BD against an Exposure 21 pre/4 mk2 dual mono/unregulated amp and would recommend both of these without hesitation but........
I now have a Treshold fet two pre with a refurbished and improved Musical Fidelity P170 amp and it beats both of the above mentioned combos by a huge margin in every aspect.

Exposure, for sure. Love the build quality as well as the performance and reliability.

6qi8duM.jpg

Adcom is a favourite with me :D I still can't let go of my GFA565 monoblocks, even though they're stuck in their boxes not doing anything.

I want explore classic amplifiers. I have been a HiFi enthusiast since early 1990s and have owns and enjoyed amplifies from Arcam and Naim. I am very found of the Naim sound but keen to hear the other brands as well.

Now I want to explore classic amplifiers from Linn, Meridian and Quad. Considering the classic Naim chrome and Olive range and Quad 34 and 306 or 405.

Any suggestions from other experienced enthusiasts what else I should consider.

Thanks,
Linn or Exposure.

Given the original poll as a guide, I’d start with a 72/140, or 72/Hicap/250; a Kairn/Klout and a Meridian 502/557. All great and classic designs. I’d be happy with any of them. They’re all very old now though so if it’s a cheap example, allow for needing to fix things and anything of this age should be given a once over by a decent engineer regardless, in my view.
Could add a Linn Wakonda with either a LK85 or LK140...be a but cheaper than a Kairn/Klout combination...perhaps not as good but depends on the OPs budget.

While I personally run a 42/110 and a 33/405, on the American side of things, the Fisher integrated amps are classic and can sound wonderful with the right speakers.

Sorry to be pedantic but classic equipment is equipment from the 1950s/60s, mostly valve but some early solid-state from companies like Leak, Quad, Sugden plus a few others. Most of the equipment listed above, in particular solid state from the 1970s onwards is modern equipment. Vintage is prior to the 1950s. I guess some post 1970s equipment could be classified as modern classics.

Sorry to be pedantic but classic equipment is equipment from the 1950s/60s, mostly valve but some early solid-state from companies like Leak, Quad, Sugden plus a few others. Most of the equipment listed above, in particular solid state from the 1970s onwards is modern equipment. Vintage is prior to the 1950s. I guess some post 1970s equipment could be classified as modern classics.
50’s/60’s are considered antiques, classic is 20 plus years old!

50’s/60’s are considered antiques, classic is 20 plus years old!

Complete nonsense. Antique audio is pre 1940…

If classic audio includes equipment 20 years old then some of my electronics would be included. Maybe look into the history of Audio. John Howes produced a book on it.

advertisement

Back