advertisement

Speakers that work well with Farlowe era amps?

I had the same amp set up for many years (95-06), and had great success with Isobariks and Neat MFS (especially the Neats). Tried them with Epos ES14 and AE1s with less positive results. The Elites can be a bit up front at times: perhaps look at the Neat Momentum range? In terms of older speakers, the usual suspects to try are Shahinian Elf, Vandersteen Model 1 (John Farlowe used to dem the set up with a pair), and various Royds.
do yo combine exposure with neat petite xs?

Hi
I am currently running an Exposure XIV/IX/IVDR2 combo through Neat Elite SE speakers. They sound great but i cannot quite decide if they are a bit bright! I would like some opinions on other speakers you have used with this kit that is highly synergistic, retains the attack of the Exposures but with a degree of warmth..if that is possible?

paul

I think that SP-series Spendors from the '80s and up to the mid '90s, Graham Audios, Harbeths and Stirlings will all sound smooth and balanced in the treble.
Also Sonus Fabers from the '80s and '90s might be a good bet.

Definitive audio used to demo avatars (on my recommend) and attend shows with earlier exposure amps, though they never stocked them, real synergy.

Any good loudspeakers will sound ok with good amplifiers. No magic.
I am sorry but what on earth does that mean?
You can take a Quad eELS and add a 5wpc valve amp and be in heaven? Or ask a Creek 4040 to drive Wilson's?

Nope. Not really.

You can take a Quad eELS and add a 5wpc valve amp and be in heaven? Or ask a Creek 4040 to drive Wilson's?

Nope. Not really.

Nope, yes really.

If the Wilson's are 6r and 89dB, as the ones I've just randomly looked up are, then yes, the 4040 will have no problem making them make music and quite loudly, too . ESLs were designed to work with the Quad II, which were 12w each, so not much more than your theoretical 5w.

If you like listening to heat metal at 110dB for prolonged periods, you'll obviously need a bigger amp, though. Quad 606 as a minimum - without going active or using very efficient speakers I would suspect little from Exposure or Naim would be capable of this without cooking or clipping, though.

Nope. Not really.

Why give examples of extreme combinations that nobody ever think to put together?

advertisement

Back