advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Drove around for an hour, with an almost empty tank, most stations out of fuel, found one which wasn't, queued for 40 mins to get in, relieved, as my job depends on it. Then, just as I'm about to leave, this car is sitting at the exit, I beep, and he starts reversing, I don't know what he's bloody doing, turns out he was trying to reverse into the pump in front of me which was free, but going against the flow of traffic. I beep again, I'm at that free pump now, as I moved forward before seeing him, turns out it was an old guy, so sympathy there, but then some foul mouthed idiot who sounds like the Shrek after 10 lagers starts screaming at me, I can't even see him, 'reverse! reverse!' and I'm like reverse where, as cars have already pulled up behind me. I did try to get the cars behind me to move after I saw the guy was very old, but that was impossible. And still this voice from nowhere screaming at me like it's armageddon and I've just stolen this guys food parcel or something. Anyway old guy's pulled aside and let me out, was glad to be free with a full tank! And Shrek still frothing at me about how he'll rip my head off!
Is it quite a big van?

3449koL.jpg

5k emergency visas, 100k HGV drivers missing.
Bringing in the army? 2k HGV drivers and how many of them are Territorial and already out there driving lorries?

Indeed, so blindingly obvious to all of us, but Johnson won't be for admitting he's wrong (again) so expect temporary and ineffective solutions for the foreseeable future :(
It’s also a speeded process of behaviour. Covid has reduced movement & increased the demand for delivery drivers in domestic markets, drivers will go where the work is.

Cycling in the peaks today, big queues at petrol stations in the Hope Valley as people with ‘cunning plans’ bump into their contemporaries.

“Why don’t we take a drive into the peaks using petrol to fill up the car, no one else will have thought of that”.

Absolute morons.

even EVs won’t be totally immune from our energy issues

Clive - you're very probably not wrong. The scaremongering about their not being enough generation for an EV world is, for the most part, just that, scaremongering.

The real issue is having enough power generation going forward full stop..........

Regards

Richard

Started our tour round the Scottish west coast islands this morning. We set off from Keswick, no problems filling up there, & no sign of queues or closures on any of the garages we passed today on our way up. Is this panic buying a southern thing?
It’s happening up here too though on the island (Bute) yesterday there was only one other car on the forecourt so I’m guessing it’ll get easier for you out in the wilds?

It's an odd mix around here. I went past three filling stations (on foot) this afternoon. Texaco 1: all pumps available, no queue. Texaco 2: all pumps occupied, but no queue. Asda: all pumps occupied, plus long queue. (It's possible Texaco 1 was out of fuel, plus unleaded was 5p a litre more than at the Asda).

Clive - you're very probably not wrong. The scaremongering about their not being enough generation for an EV world is, for the most part, just that, scaremongering.

The real issue is having enough power generation going forward full stop..........

Regards

Richard
Again, National Grid says yes and anyone sensible charges an EV overnight when the demand and hence price (on an EV tariff) and also gas usage on average is a lot lower.

advertisement

Back