advertisement

Another Ebay scam

I think I'm right in saying that when collecting an item in person that eBay now send buyers a barcode which the seller is supposed to scan to prove the item has been collected by the intended recipient. In the above case that should surely put the onus firmly on eBay/PayPal to bare the cost as it at it them who would have been jumped not the seller.

Try contacting Parcelforce customer service as they might be able to trace the transaction from an email to you or the delivery address as they may well have access to older records that you cannot access from the internet and so allow you to prove delivery.

parcelforce have been brilliant and gone through their records and produced proof of delivery for me. I am hopeful the charge will be reversed, and the seller sanctioned.

Good news, let us know how you get on.
Well started off so well on the phone. But now eBay aren’t replying to email messages after saying they’d look favourably on the case. I guess that might mean looking at the evidence and saying ‘poor chap’

If eBay don't give you satisfaction you can still pursue it through small claims providing you have the recipient's name and address - given the Parcelforce evidence it's hard to see how you wouldn't get a judgment.

Sometimes eBay can be very slow and although you have to negotiate a torturous labyrinth of processes it is possible to contact them by phone. Good luck.

Well started off so well on the phone. But now eBay aren’t replying to email messages after saying they’d look favourably on the case. I guess that might mean looking at the evidence and saying ‘poor chap’

Do the Live Chat early in the morning around 9am, and quite often get someone in the Ireland office, who will sort it. Some time it takes multiple attempts. Avoid any one with an Asian sounding name, and keep trying till you get a name that sounds like they would be Ireland based.

Avoid any one with an Asian sounding name, and keep trying till you get a name that sounds like they would be Ireland based.

In my experience only the Irish have any power, the rest are a script reading waste of time. A few years ago my cousin died and he had a very active eBay account with plenty of items, inc Hi-Fi, still up for sale.

In those days eBay and PayPal were one and the same and we had no idea how much money was in the account. I got the impression that eBay had never thought of anyone dieing. Multiple times I was asked why don't I log in and shut the account, and multiple times I told them I didn't know the password.

Talking to India was groundhog day every time and emails were clearly just being scanned electronically for key phrases such as 'closing account' and automatic replies sent.

Eventually, after about 2 months, I got a call from a lady in Ireland at about 6pm (!) one evening - everything was sorted by the next day!

advertisement

Back