advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

It's not just about the number of drivers. Brexit cut us off from Europe's road hauliers.

Claiming that there is a shortage of HGV drivers across Europe, not just in Britain, makes a bit of a nonsense of their proposed temporary solution - trying to attract European drivers. Capped at 5k, it's hard to see that making much difference. They were made to feel unwelcome and unwanted in Britain, and now many have moved on. Why would they come back for some shaky temporary arrangement? That's before you consider why they might trust Johnson's crew not to renege at some point.

Perhaps large enough contracts might work, that will play well locally. It also fails to acknowledge that Britain was previously part of 'normal' HGV routes that cross the continent and back, until Brexit cut us off. These 'solutions' do nothing to restore these. The only long term answer is labour shortages in an ageing population is a more enlightened permanent policy.

It's not just about the number of drivers. Brexit cut us off from Europe's road hauliers.

Claiming that there is a shortage of HGV drivers across Europe, not just in Britain, makes a bit of a nonsense of their proposed temporary solution - trying to attract European drivers. Capped at 5k, it's hard to see that making much difference. They were made to feel unwelcome and unwanted in Britain, and now many have moved on. Why would they come back for some shaky temporary arrangement? That's before you consider why they might trust Johnson's crew not to renege at some point.

Perhaps large enough contracts might work, that will play well locally. It also fails to acknowledge that Britain was previously part of 'normal' HGV routes that cross the continent and back, until Brexit cut us off. These 'solutions' do nothing to restore these. The only long term answer is labour shortages in an ageing population is a more enlightened permanent policy.

Indeed, so blindingly obvious to all of us, but Johnson won't be for admitting he's wrong (again) so expect temporary and ineffective solutions for the foreseeable future :(

Filled up last night, was down to fumes.

People need to take a long hard look at themselves if they’re buying for the sake of it.

Do you normally fill up or did you do that because of the current situation?

If the latter, then you're part of the problem.

Screenshot-20210926-105317.jpg

:D

It's a ridiculous situation. I was down to less than a quarter of a tank, so I needed to top up. There was a garage on a junction by some traffic lights & cars had queued across the junction to the garage, thus blocking the road, which resulted in horns sounding and the hurling of abuse! Luckily, they all got frightened off, so when the lights changed I drove straight onto the forecourt and fuelled up with no fuss at all. The government and the media can shoulder the blame for this mess.

I've got a week booked in Norfolk from next Sunday - a 175 mile trip and our first break since December 2019. Not risking taking our car so hiring an EV for the week. Worth it for the comparative lack of stress I guess. It's made me think that I'll go electric sooner than I intended although @clivem2's comment is slightly alarming:(. Horse and cart?

advertisement

Back