advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardian interview with Van Tam

“We’re still in the pandemic period,” he said. “And I think the period of considerable hazard is going to last for several more months. And I think it’d be wrong … to be confident that we’re in a really comfortable place until we’ve got this winter out of the way and we’re into the spring.”

He added: “That’s my biggest concern, that people just relax and think this is [it], show’s over. Sorted. And I’m not sure where it is yet. It’d be lovely if it is, [if] it just continues to kind of glide along in a nice way. But I’m still cautious that there are more twists and turns with this virus.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nathan-van-tam-reflects-on-18-months-of-covid

Thanks for the heads up on this - you are right in that it seems I should qualify for a third dose and have the booster sometime in the future. Apparently there are 500k people in this category and we shall be contacted soonish.

If chemo weakens the immune system, which I believe it does, and you were having it at or around the time you were vaccinated then I think you should qualify for the 3rd vaccine.

Initially it was said that all immuunosuppressed people would have the 3rd vaccine and a follow-up booster 6 months later. More recently however, and from what I can gather as it's still a bit vague, things seem to have changed and only those classed as severely immunosuppressed, along with people on a few types of immune suppressing drugs that evoke a poor antibody response from the vaccines, will qualify for a 3rd vaccine. The immune suppressing drug for rheumatoid arthritis that I take is 'suspected' of getting a poor antibody response so whether I qualify for the 3rd vaccine on that alone I should find out off my health board fairly soon. Possible trouble with that is I also have pulmonary fibrosis, which combined with being immune suppressed does not bode well for me if I get infected. I would think, or hope rather, that my consultant also takes the PF into account when deciding if I qualify for the 3rd vaccine or not. If he doesn't, which wouldn't surprise me, then I'll be contacting my rhematology dept pronto as mentioned in my previous post.

In the week up to 11 Sep, Scotland plateaued at 2.2% of the population coming down with a dose of covid, which is good news. England also plateaued more or less with 1.2% of the population catching the bug, which is also encouraging. Both these figures are especially heartening given the decline in the number of positive test results this week - generally, I think if positives are coming down, incidence is coming down. (I think)

And Scotland continuing to plateau in the week up to Sep 18. Excellent news for the whole country, indeed in England cases declined slightly, I'm not sure how significantly.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics

“We’re still in the pandemic period,” he said. “And I think the period of considerable hazard is going to last for several more months. And I think it’d be wrong … to be confident that we’re in a really comfortable place until we’ve got this winter out of the way and we’re into the spring.”

He added: “That’s my biggest concern, that people just relax and think this is [it], show’s over. Sorted. And I’m not sure where it is yet. It’d be lovely if it is, [if] it just continues to kind of glide along in a nice way. But I’m still cautious that there are more twists and turns with this virus.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nathan-van-tam-reflects-on-18-months-of-covid

It's a bit weird that interview I think, he doesn't say what sort of twists and turns he's thinking of, so to me he comes across as scare mongering, pandering to the neurotic over cautious. I guess he knows what the papers want to hear. Note he seems to be talking about covid-19, not other viruses.

And Scotland continuing to plateau in the week up to Sep 18. Excellent news for the whole country, indeed in England cases declined slightly, I'm not sure how significantly.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics

Watch the intro to indie sage for the most recent figures. More parents are being hospitalised in Scotland that at any time in the pandemic! English cases have begun to rise as we've been seeing here. ONS is 10 days or so behind.

Watch the intro to indie sage for the most recent figures. More parents are being hospitalised in Scotland that at any time in the pandemic! English cases have begun to rise as we've been seeing here. ONS is 10 days or so behind.

Of course if cases were rising two/three weeks ago, admissions will rise now. And if cases plateau and decline now, admissions will . . . .

Of course if cases were rising two/three weeks ago, admissions will rise now. And if cases plateau and decline now, admissions will . . . .

We stil have the admissions from the school return fiasco to look forward to in England...

Last edited:

While I have some time for Van Tam I'm not sure 150 deaths a day is 'gliding along nicely'!!

Make that three of us! The return to school ‘organisation’ was tantamount to ‘light blue touch paper and hope we get away with it’.

But I see happy children, playing and learning. And happy parents, working, earning and spending.

Some of those 10 year olds may have the sniffles of course, but most of them will recover in about 15 minutes. And some of their families may get COVID -- but hey . . . they've had the vaccine! They'll probably not even notice they've got it.

But I see happy children, playing and learning. And happy parents, working, earning and spending.

It's not very likely that the happy children and happy parents that you are seeing, have Covid.

Those that do have Covid, are shielding from it and are suffering, and miserable, and losing loved ones will be out of your view - exactly as you like it.

I was on chemo also when I was vaccinated and my oncologist said to definitely get the booster.

I rang around various places today to try and get it brought forward without any success. I will just have to wait until I receive a text from the NHS, likely to be in the next week or two.

Take care Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back