advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historically, elections aren’t won by the Opposition rather they are lost by the Government after a series of balls ups that the public won’t tolerate.

The Winter of Discontent is a good example which was compounded by Callaghan’s remarks as he got off the plane from having attended a conference from somewhere exotic with the remarks “Crisis, what crisis?” whilst the rest of us swilled around in uncollected refuse and dead bodies from the bin man and undertakers strikes. In opposition at the time, Thatcher was not advocating radical economic policies at least not publicly. She realised her greatest asset was an incompetent government.

It feels like we are are seeing a re-run of those times with Johnson’s government. Starmer will know the most important thing at the moment is not to do something stupid such as getting knocked over by a wave at the beach or to scare the electorate with something like the abolition of the private education sector.

Sorry for going on a bit about this but it was similar with Major after the UKs humiliating expulsion from the ERM and a succession of his cabinets dalliances following his Back to Basics campaign. All Blair had to do was look/sound good.

And it was the same for the last Labour government after taking us into Iraq under false pretences - I can’t remember anything Cameron said or did ahead of the 2010 election.

The electorate may be thick but they are not stupid and they can be trusted to usually sense when enough is enough. Not very inspiring and unlikely to satisfy many on here who want a more radical shift in British politics but at least getting rid of BJ and Co would be a start and who knows where it might lead to.

Good Morning All,

I do try hard to get something useful out of this and other threads, it would be easier with less 'aggro' between some posters?

There does appear to be something of a perfect storm developing, the thought of another so called 'Winter of Discontent' is not anything to look forward to.

I guess there was always going to be a period of 'disruption' following Brexit, some of which was foreseeable and others less so and also influenced by, larger, world events over which we have little control.

SWMBO is far from happy in her work in university administration currently and is giving serious thought to stacking shelves at Tesco's in Ellon who are advertising £15 from what 15:00 - 00:30 over the weekends.

My elder son works at Costa for, I think, the living wage per hour. I don't see him even contemplating working out in the fields so to speak and whose current opinion is that an HGV job doesn't pay enough................ Possibly some attitude adjustment required here me thinks?

I would love to learn how many new HGV drivers the industry has 'attracted' since January 1st? Given the industry knew this was coming was there any thought given to having training regimes in place last year in anticipation?

We currently have some 1.5million 'officially' unemployed. I'm reading there are 1million job vacancies. I have no idea where they are or the demographics.

Could somebody enlighten me as I presume a haulier that can't shift goods from A to B, as contracted, is in breach of contract and I don't suppose the likes of Tesco are going to be too happy when goods aren't delivered? Such as Tesco's are surely entitled to say to the industry you've had 8 months now what are you doing about it?

As to what the government should have had in place is another issue.

Regards

Richard

I think Tesco needs to say to the government “right you’ve had five years to sort this out, what are you going to do about it?”
Spokeswoman for U.K. chambers of commerce said yesterday that the first wave of HGV driver EU nationals left at Brexit, the second wave went back to the EU when Covid hit. Brexit was meant to be about stopping them comin in and taking our jobs. The lie beautifully exposed now.

Caught the bus and was met by a huge cue at Sainsbury for petrol. Walked to Halfords to buy bike lube, the guy behind me buying 5 Jerry cans. Finally went to Pets at Home to be met by no stock. Did manage to get some ear cleaner for the new rescue labradoodle.
Pictures to follow!

whose current opinion is that an HGV job doesn't pay enough................ Possibly some attitude adjustment required here me thinks?

We currently have some 1.5million 'officially' unemployed. I'm reading there are 1million job vacancies. I have no idea where they are or the demographics.

Richard

Hmm!, let me think for a minute, how many people have to go to relieve themselves in their office because no toilets were provided?, if they did how much would they want?

With respect to your comment about 1.5 million being officially unemployed about 17% of the population has an IQ below 85 which is the cut off point for the army as normally they require some sort of supervision to carry out tasks, so putting them unsupervised in lorries is probably not the best idea in town.

Good Morning All,

I do try hard to get something useful out of this and other threads, it would be easier with less 'aggro' between some posters?

There does appear to be something of a perfect storm developing, the thought of another so called 'Winter of Discontent' is not anything to look forward to.

I guess there was always going to be a period of 'disruption' following Brexit, some of which was foreseeable and others less so and also influenced by, larger, world events over which we have little control.

SWMBO is far from happy in her work in university administration currently and is giving serious thought to stacking shelves at Tesco's in Ellon who are advertising £15 from what 15:00 - 00:30 over the weekends.

My elder son works at Costa for, I think, the living wage per hour. I don't see him even contemplating working out in the fields so to speak and whose current opinion is that an HGV job doesn't pay enough................ Possibly some attitude adjustment required here me thinks?

I would love to learn how many new HGV drivers the industry has 'attracted' since January 1st? Given the industry knew this was coming was there any thought given to having training regimes in place last year in anticipation?

Could somebody enlighten me as I presume a haulier that can't shift goods from A to B, as contracted, is in breach of contract and I don't suppose the likes of Tesco are going to be too happy when goods aren't delivered? Such as Tesco's are surely entitled to say to the industry you've had 8 months now what are you doing about it?

As to what the government should have had in place is another issue.

Regards

Richard
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/anyone-work-for-d-v-l-a.259500/unread

This flashed up on my phone this evening - supply chain crisis: government minsters poised to agree post Brexit u-turn on foreign worker visas.

I wish everybody would stop being so pessimistic! there are many positives to Brexit...

1. Pint glasses have been etched with a crown.
2. Passports are now blue instead of Burgundy.
3. *We can buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces.

*When they are available again.

I wish everybody would stop being so pessimistic! there are many positives to Brexit...

1. Pint glasses have been etched with a crown.
2. Passports are now blue instead of Burgundy.
3. *We can buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces.

*When they are available again.
1. Mine generally has a guinness logo.
2. Mine is black.
3. I buy by the number. 4 apples, 4 oranges, 16 sprouts, 4 parsnips...that kind of approach.

The Brexiteer solution (to everything): "Why don't we get the army to pick fruit/drive lorries/pluck turkeys/sell gas and electricity?"

The Brexiteer solution (to everything): "Why don't we get the army to pick fruit/drive lorries/pluck turkeys/sell gas and electricity?"
As opposed to your the hard remainer solution of ignoring the result of the referendum, pretending it never happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back