advertisement

Quality of Banknotes

Bjork67

pfm Member
Has anyone else noticed that on some notes the print can be easily scraped off with a fingernail, the notes are genuine though. All the hologram's are there and so called security features are on the notes.

Your profile shows you are from Cleveland. Is that Ohio or Somerset, so USD or GBP? Either way I've not noticed, but will experiment when I get up, if I remember.

Uk here I was told in a boozer that it was fake so popped to the bank with it next day to show them and they confirmed it was genuine but looked like it had a hard life maybe been through a washing machine a few times, just found a fiver now and the inks coming off it with just scratching. Doesn't fill people businesses with confidence if the inks coming off them like a scratch card does when you scrape them?

Your profile shows you are from Cleveland. Is that Ohio or Somerset, so USD or GBP?
Has Somerset expanded its borders overnight? I'm near Yeovil and pretty sure Cleveland is a few hundred miles away. Maybe you were thinking of Clevedon :)

I managed to completely trash a tenner that's been in my pocket for about 18 months - just in the pocket not the washer. They're much stronger than they used to be but certainly not indestructible.

Has anyone else noticed that on some notes the print can be easily scraped off with a fingernail, the notes are genuine though. All the hologram's are there and so called security features are on the notes.
Never mind the quality, feel the width (of the wad)...

Bank notes? I withdrew £100 over a year ago and still have £80 left! Cash payments are very much a thing of the past for me and many others, I would imagine.
The only places I use cash these days are Poundland and the pub.

I only take cash for my honey, and spend it as I go along. I still use cheques in some circumstances too. I wouldn't know how to go about making a bank transfer, and don't buy things online, save for the weekly Morrison's order. I'm just an old-fashioned boy.
It's fortunate I live in Leeds, where everything is available across the counter.

Has Somerset expanded its borders overnight? I'm near Yeovil and pretty sure Cleveland is a few hundred miles away. Maybe you were thinking of Clevedon :)
There used to be a Cleveland in Teesside before the 1974 boundary alterations. The police are still called 'Cleveland Police'.

Bank notes? I withdrew £100 over a year ago and still have £80 left! Cash payments are very much a thing of the past for me and many others, I would imagine.

I still use cash for almost everything; petrol, restaurants, clothes, taxis, and I try to keep a couple of thousand in the safe at home. Only use a card for hotel bills, car rentals, big purchases. No intention of changing my habits, I like cash.

I still use cash for almost everything; petrol, restaurants, clothes, taxis, and I try to keep a couple of thousand in the safe at home. Only use a card for hotel bills, car rentals, big purchases. No intention of changing my habits, I like cash.

Don’t you find it difficult to pay with 10 bob notes?

;)

Pete

When my card was stolen only the fact I had a €50 note helped me get home. Cash has a place. Also useful for more local transactions, like giving a fiver to someone when they're a bit strapped or giving a few coins to a child for a piggy bank. Do I want to be doing that by bank transfer?

Also every beggar who has failed to invest in a card reader machine has gone out of business.

(That was a joke).

Where I live people still like cash. I think it's because the taxes are acceptable to the UK population that the switch to cards was so much faster. Many decent bars and some restaurants and small shops in Germany still refuse anything but cash.

advertisement

Back