advertisement

Ryder Cup 2021

canonman

pfm Member
I know that there are a few golfers on here (and many non believers!) The Ryder Cup is simply one of the most sensational sporting events, full stop.
I have been to many of them. Nothing will beat Muirfield Village Ohio, 1987, where I had an incredible time but this year should be special after Covid.
Starts Friday.

Agreed.

Booked the day off tomorrow even though in reality most of it will be after working hours anyway. Luckily Mrs Wb is as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Interesting foursomes. Rory and Ian… discuss.

I love watching it. That said, I started watching the opening event an hour or so ago and lasted about 7 minutes before switching off. I really can’t be doing with this trend of getting “entertainers” to try to build a sense of occasion (especially when it’s an American “actor and comedian” barely able to read his own autocue that I’ve never heard of). Total cheese fest (pun on a Wisconsin-theme intended).

It’s an occasion full stop, agreed, but I don’t mind the razzmatazz. In a way it’s all part of defining them-vs-us in a good humoured way.

Euuuur-oope!

I do think the USA team looks stronger, but ours more experienced. It will be an interesting battle. I think home advantage and a young but quality squad will win out for the USA (but I hope not).

I love watching PGA golf but somehow never paid much attention to the Ryder Cup. Will watch this year. I do like to play as well, just finished my 81st round this year!

I love watching PGA golf but somehow never paid much attention to the Ryder Cup. Will watch this year. I do like to play as well, just finished my 81st round this year!

Do. I love the Opens/Majors, but the Ryder Cup trumps.

I will be another one watching it, great drama on most occasions, the majors are only centered about a few leaders, this is team work and getting the right combination can make all the difference.

Europe has the experience, if it is windy that should help us, however with few European fans there as has been said hopefully the home team crowds will behave, however I won't hold my breath on that.

Think this year it could be tight, but I will go with Europe, if we get off to a good start we should win it.

If anyone has played golf up in East Lothian maybe you will know what tee I am standing on from my avatar. :)

I am not a massive golf fan but always follow the Masters & the Ryder Cup. Some of the jingoism is quite distasteful but I’ve always felt it means more to Europe.

I will be another one watching it, great drama on most occasions, the majors are only centered about a few leaders, this is team work and getting the right combination can make all the difference.

Europe has the experience, if it is windy that should help us, however with few European fans there as has been said hopefully the home team crowds will behave, however I won't hold my breath on that.

Think this year it could be tight, but I will go with Europe, if we get off to a good start we should win it.

If anyone has played golf up in East Lothian maybe you will know what tee I am standing on from my avatar. :)
I am from North Berwick so I know it is on Gullane No. 1. Don't know the course well enough to give you the hole number!

Me too!

I confess that I think the British Open should be THE crown jewel of PGA tour, but also know many of my fellow Americans would have a hard time finding the UK on a map . . .

There is no such thing as the British Open as any Scottish golfer will soon tell you, it's the Open Championship. The Masters Tournament is a young whippersnapper compared. ;)

I think as usual it will come down to who has the biggest cajones at the back end of the singles.

I've never played G. No1. Played 2 and 3 though. I'm off for 9 holes at Musselburgh this morning. Its a bit blowy though. I'll need to get the 2 iron stinger going!

My Grandfather was a club pro - who missed out on going on the tour after the 2nd world war, because he figured he was too old for that then. But he would have a fine old time as a PGA, marshalling at any Ryder Cup event he could get too. He used to carry around an ex-war periscope to help keep an eye in the action! He lived in Devon, we lived in Stafford - so we were a stopping off point in the 1960s journeys - few motorways and a Morris Minor made for slow progress!

It’s an occasion full stop, agreed, but I don’t mind the razzmatazz. In a way it’s all part of defining them-vs-us in a good humoured way.

Euuuur-oope!
The majority of US fans are no different to that of European fans. Having been to several Ryder Cups I enjoy the banter. In fact, we probably started it at Muirfield Village where European fans made far more noise than the US.
That was an amazing experience. Before the opening ceremony I was taking photos of Nicklaus and Jacklin with the cup and I jokingly asked him if I could take photos of our group with the cup and he just handed it over! Then there was the party with the players afterwards.....

I saw Sevie and Ollie playing as a pair at the Belfry, their concentration and determination was palpable, the air was Electric around them.
My path and Steve’s crossed in a Heathrow car park once too, I shouted good wishes but he was busy berating a taxi driver and merely gave me a withering glance, majestic!

advertisement

Back