advertisement

Saucisson

I think french children are introduced to alcohol at an early age when their attitude to it can be influenced and moulded.
Contrast that with our nothing then everything attitude.

I think french children are introduced to alcohol at an early age when their attitude to it can be influenced and moulded.
Contrast that with our nothing then everything attitude.
They're still a bunch of alcoholics though. The French tend to think wine isn't 'drinking' and the agri minister Didier Guillaume is famous for referring to it as 'je crois pas que le vin soit un alcool comme les autres'.

They're still a bunch of alcoholics though. The French tend to think wine isn't 'drinking' and the agri minister Didier Guillaume is famous for referring to it as 'je crois pas que le vin soit un alcool comme les autres'.
It's a foodstuff. Pretty well defined as such even if you get pulled over for having one too many.

What do you mean? I'm not talking about just with food. What you read in the books and see in the films is not all pinpoint accurate. Folk drink wine 'a lot' in France (plus extras). My mother was from South Belgium, lived in France and we were always around there. I lived in France and (south) Belgium prior to here. Loads of teenagers buy wine for getting ratted on.

Any fans here? I'm proper addicted and probably staring heart disease, diabetes and / or bowel cancer in the face. Particularly as it seems to be the perfect partner to red wine.

Munched through a soft mini rosette de Lyon tonight ...peppery, not too fatty. Sublime.

Peel or eat the skin? I peel.
What a coincidence. And back on topic, I bought a Bastides saucisson sec today for the first time in ages. Had a chunk for lunch with some cornichons, French bread, walnuts and a glass or two of supermarket Beaujolais. Lovely. I peel too.

woot dedoo.
kids in the uk have cider and no shortage of beer, and likley no less damaging

what was your actual point?
My point is above. Did you miss it? That wine isn't some other type of alcohol when you drink loads of it and it's 13-15%. This middle-class idea that it's refined and you're not really on the booze because it's accompanied by a good cheese is not real.

Doesn't mean I don't like wine, I do. I was saying the idea the kids are all expertly guided into alcohol responsibility is rubbish.

What a coincidence. And back on topic, I bought a Bastides saucisson sec today for the first time in ages. Had a chunk for lunch with some cornichons, French bread, walnuts and a glass or two of supermarket Beaujolais. Lovely. I peel too.
How much do you pay for Beaujolais now? It's gone up by a Euro here since last week. Fleurie too.

How much do you pay for Beaujolais now? It's gone up by a Euro here since last week. Fleurie too.
I try not to look at prices, but I think I paid about £9 a bottle in Sainsburys. They were doing 25% off six or more bottles, and as I find it quite drinkable I bought a couple of cases.

I try not to look at prices, but I think I paid about £9 a bottle in Sainsburys. They were doing 25% off six or more bottles. I find it quite drinkable so bought a couple of cases.
I've never bought a case, but it knocks the price down considerably per bottle when they run those deals. I do see folk buying bogof cases. £9 is a bit dear, but it travels a bit further under awkward circumstances, so not bad. The Fleurie was only €5,99 today, so I shouldn't complain.

.. because the French also have the good sense to fully seek to enjoy what they produce as a treat, slowly: a glass of water to one side also, a little of each savoured ..ah, suffit.

Not 'scoff the lot' - like the average Brit.

Every French man I know drink drives. I only know a few socially, 5 in fact. but every single one of them drink drives. I also had a match.com date with one woman who came in from a village ten miles outside Strasbourg, she had 4 glasses of wine, admittedly the small French ones, and drove home.

The French are therefore equally irresponsible from where I am sitting. They just manage to get smashed without getting into a fight.

They just manage to get smashed without getting into a fight.
:D actually yes, that's about the size of it. Same here in NL. A sort of peaceful drunkenness. This sort of thing is casually documented in novels like those of Simenon. People waltzing through several bottles of wine and being in a drunken haze. Middle-class 'polite' alcoholism, hidden away in the drawing room, has been a thing for a long time; even in the UK.

Saucisson, some cheese (particularly blue) and red wine.

Heaven.

Albeit my intake these days must be significantly modified.

even if you get pulled over for having one too many.

We were told, at a fetes du vin evening “diner”, that one would be OK if you knew the name of the local Mayor!

I discovered the name of the local mayor during the toasts (on our table in the main square)…la Reine, M. le President, les equipes de foot francais et anglais, le Grand Vin du Visan, etc etc

Fortunately, my wife did the driving back to the gite!

We were told, at a fetes du vin evening “diner”, that one would be OK if you knew the name of the local Mayor!

I discovered the name of the local mayor during the toasts (on our table in the main square)…la Reine, M. le President, les equipes de foot francais et anglais, le Grand Vin du Visan, etc etc

Fortunately, my wife did the driving back to the gite!
My girlfriend went on a date with the mayor once, who had a drink over dinner, drove her home, got stopped for speeding and pulled the do you know who I am card.

She did not date him again.

advertisement

Back