advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I have heard that Igloo has gone under. The consumer advice chap from Radio 4 said wait until it collapses and your bill and any credit will be moved over to a new supplier and when you leave them you can get your money back

Thanks, yeah that confirms my gut feeling that trying to switch now might just invite a load of stress and bother. I haven't read any confirmation (so far) that they've officially gone into administration, but it's probably only a matter of time. Ho hum.

Bulb - who are very good IMO - sent an email the other week announcing a price increase of £2.03/week. Suspect they will be in touch again very soon should they survive.

I read that UK gas consumption is around 155 million cubic metres a day in mid-late summer. The average winter peak is 385 mcm/d. Let's hope the winter is mild.

Thanks, and confirmation that Igloo have not gone quite yet:
"And another firm, Igloo, has said it is working with restructuring consultants Alvarez & Marsal. But Igloo told the BBC it had not appointed administrators."

If/when they do go down then I think I may be inclined to stick with whoever I get allocated to for as long as it takes for the dust to settle, before making any further move.

I remember saying to someone more than ten years ago that things like utilities and public transport should be operated by not for profit companies as they are public necessities.

That's about the same as when they were nationalised industries; that didn't work well so they were floated. Surely, a public company must make a profit to exist; at least, that's the theory. This government, along with previous ones, simply haven't thought out a long-term, self-sufficient energy strategy.

Fracking was abandoned over NIMBY protests, coal-fired plants closed without suitable replacements (i.e. nuclear) and gas storage facilities closed, leaving us vulnerable. Add on the silly smart meter levies and other tick-box green attempts (but excluding a viable Severn River barrage !) and we're now reaping the whirlwind (read: hurricane, as it affects such a wider area of normal life). Ordinary wind would help, though, in part.

Another Avro 'victim' here. I renewed with Avro new fixed price 30th May 2021 as after using comparison sites they were still the best option of anything but new and unknown companies with no feedback history.
I used Moneysavingexpert's 'Cheap Energy Club' to find the best deal. I had initially used this tool when I moved to Avro in 2019.
My deal that started in May was already a £13 / month DD uplift then. I was at the time in credit so wasn't too happy to have this uplift.
Their website is no longer accessible (unsurprisingly I guess) so I cant find out how much credit I have exactly and will have to rely on ofgen / whosoever takes over my account to provide a truthful reflection of my credit. Do I trust them? Who knows, but whatever happens we are all (well mostly) going to get 'burned' (pun intentional) by this.
I used Avro's website to check my statements but never downloaded them - perhaps I should have done. Hmm hindsight!
I dread to think who will be taking over - I got rid of British Gas who were completely useless so hope it isn't them.

Pretty much in the same boat as yourself with Avro. It’s a pain we can’t access our account details online even if it is just to confirm the credit balance.
As mentioned previously having gone through this with Tonic energy we just have to wait till the Ofgem email arrives and then start getting quotes. I suspect prices will rocketed by the time that happens

By sheer chance, I accessed my Avro account the morning before the closure was announced. I’m about £250 in debit so I’m hoping they might forget that. That’s the second supplier that’s died on me. The handover is relatively painless though and you do get a chance to shop around if you don’t like what you are offered. I suspect that after this debacle, there won’t be too much price competition for a while anyway

Unfortunately, instances like this are a great opportunity for companies to stick you on a higher tariff or even a pre paid meter. If a new company is taking over and paying out for those in credit I’d be surprised if they don’t come after those with a debit balance. They may of course just add it to your account and up your monthly figure!

Friend of mine was sleeping in his car earlier this year due to fuel poverty , many more are going to be severely affected. Universal credit cut coming in and NI going up and food costs rising . It's very worrying

The Tories should scrap the Universal Credit cut for now and review in the Spring. The timing is not right to do this at the moment, especially as we are go towards winter and energy and food prices are rising sharply. It seems to me there is a fundamental lack of understanding and empathy from this Government. They are out of touch.

Whereas I don't usually like Martin Lewis' prog's, tonight's resume on the energy situation was enlightening. To me, it was also encouraging. When the cap (on VRTs only) rises in a week or so, the max you can pay is £1277 p.a. Okay, this is high (I've been paying £750 p.a.) but it IS the max until the cap is raised again next April.

I recently got a fix for less than this, but that depends upon how much I use. However, this cap doesn't add up as surely you can't be capped for an annual price regardless of how much you use; this would lead to profligacy and energy waste. I'm missing a trick here, methinks.:confused: Surely it must be based upon sth.

The Tories should scrap the Universal Credit cut for now and review in the Spring. The timing is not right to do this at the moment, especially as we are go towards winter and energy and food prices are rising sharply. It seems to me there is a fundamental lack of understanding and empathy from this Government. They are out of touch.

I don't think that the UC cut loses them many votes.

The £1277 is based on the average use by Joe Blogs House. In reality the cap is x pence per kW hour unit for Gas and Electricity.

advertisement

Back