advertisement

Connecting Rega ear to an Exposure 3010s2d

Just tried the HD598`s and no change. Just not as high volume although as with the Meze, both amp and ear volume to zero, the music just blares out to loud to listen to and just gets louder with the volume turned up.
Just so that we are all on the same page, what is the Ear connected to?

The Exposure volume control shouldn't have any affect then, only that of the Ear.

Have you tried connecting to one of the pre-out pairs? When used this way, Rega suggest setting the Ear volume control to 13:00 o'clock (for starters) and then adjusting volume with the pre-amp. Of course, you could experiment with other settings on the Ear as compensation for the phones being overly sensitive. Connected in this way, the Exposure volume pot gives control over how much gain gets to the Ear, with the Ear volume pot being a set and forget fine tuning knob. Perhaps a sweet spot combination can be found.

The big compromise here is that, as your amp has no power-amp in (i.e. it isn't fully splittable) you'd have to physically unplug the loudspeakers in order to mute them (i.e. as the switch mutable LINK can't be connected to power-amp in).

Coincidentally, Rega used to make a passive headphone adapter that plugged into the speaker sockets using Deltron stackable plugs. Of course, back then headphone impedance tended to be somewhat higher.

700275-7f552357-rega-headphone-adsapter.jpg

Thanks again Craig, i have tried every connect on the Amp, i will give the pre outs another go with the volume at 13.00 and see what happens.
I may be using my headphones with my ipad only for the time being.
Thanks again.

One further thought.

I've seen this behaviour before when the input cables were connected to the outputs. The amplifier picks the signal up via the feedback loop. I know you've checked the cables but try swapping the input and output connections at the Ear end only.

One further thought.

I've seen this behaviour before when the input cables were connected to the outputs. The amplifier picks the signal up via the feedback loop. I know you've checked the cables but try swapping the input and output connections at the Ear end only.
Thanks for that Robert, i will try it out .Cheers.

One further thought.

The Rega EAR manual suggests that INPUT and LINK are paralleled, only with LINK being switchable via the mute button. Perhaps this is why they decided to call it LINK rather than OUTPUT.

"In the standalone mode (METHOD 2) where the ear is not required to feed a signal to another amplifier, the LINK sockets can be used as an input, this means it is possible to mute the EAR headphone signal by using the mute control on the front of the EAR."

I think that it is going to come down to the use of -10dB inline attenuators if @wezzywest is to have any useable range on the EAR volume pot (that is, at least when used with his Exposure 3010S2 and current headphones).

The Rega EAR manual suggests that INPUT and LINK are paralleled, only with LINK being switchable via the mute button. Perhaps this is why they decided to call it LINK rather than OUTPUT.

"In the standalone mode (METHOD 2) where the ear is not required to feed a signal to another amplifier, the LINK sockets can be used as an input, this means it is possible to mute the EAR headphone signal by using the mute control on the front of the EAR."

I think that it is going to come down to the use of -10dB inline attenuators if @wezzywest is to have any useable range on the EAR volume pot (that is, at least when used with his Exposure 3010S2 and current headphones).
Thanks again for your advice. The attenuators would see the logical thing to try.
Cheers.

advertisement

Back