advertisement

Whisky II

We had to visit Grantown-on-Spey and Elgin today to pick up some stuff so on the way back we did a reconnaissance of a few of the many, many distilleries between Elgin and Tomintoul.

First up, and just outside Elgin, was Benriach:

171969441.nLjWLHhe.benriach01.jpg

171969442.HWj6X70Q.benriach02.jpg

Very nice little visitor centre and shop and very helpful and knowledgeable staff so definitely one I'll be doing a tour at in the future. I bought a bottle of the 12 year old from their core range and am having a dram of that now. It's a very fruity easy drinker, having been matured in a mix of sherry, bourbon and port casks. Quite a few more interesting bottlings available as well but will do their tasting session first before I decide on one of those.

Next up was the village of Rothes and we took a look at two of the distilleries there (I think there are 3 in total, plus a cooperage) - Glen Grant (which I didn't take a picture off) and Speyburn:

171969447.06nj25rO.speyburn01.jpg

There is a very good butcher in Rothes as well - picked up various stuff, some of which might hit the BBQ this evening.

After Rothes the next small (and very lovely) town is Aberlour, which also has a couple of distilleries - with this being Aberlour itself:

171969440.dCktMuUK.aberlour03.jpg

That also looked like it had a good shop and visitor centre however by this point I wasn't allowed out of the car alone and SWMBO was keeping a careful eye on me - so no further purchases were allowed!

Not far out of Aberlour you pass Glenfarclas, and that has a really nice visitor centre (and I'll definitely be back to do the tour - which is even free at the moment! - soon). What caught my eye there was this bottle of their 60 year old - yours for merely £17,500:

171969443.chzev9TG.glenfarclas01.jpg

I noticed they were looking for £155 for the 25 which is a but ouch given I think I paid £99 for mine (although it is very good).

Not far after that we took a look at Glenlivet, which has a very attractive and professional looking visitor centre as well as being in lovely surroundings:

171969444.hwbFhLcE.glenlivet01.jpg

171969445.PUYBVjOV.glenlivet02.jpg

171969446.TKnaUOxY.glenlivet03.jpg

That's also right up at the top of my list of "must do" distillery tours, especially as I could cycle to that one no problem.

Finally we passed the Tomintoul distillery. Dating from the mid 60's it's not the prettiest of distilleries but it is my local one and the 16 is a very nice tipple:

171969450.kkeqJ13M.tomintoul01.jpg

171969451.GcOz3Cb1.tomintoul02.jpg

That's also just a tiny fraction of the distilleries we passed today!

We passed another distillery today, close to the start of the walk we were doing out to the Scalan Seminary, where Catholic priests were training in secret in the 1700's.

The distillery was Braeval, which used to be Braes of Glenlivet, which is owned by Chivas/Pernod Ricard. Apparently it's very automated so can be operated by one person, despite being able to produce 3.8M litres per year. It's also supposed to be the joint highest distillery in Scotland. There are some independent bottlings available but apparently most goes into Chivas Regal.

171972140.nzhdLJjK.scal10.jpg

Back from our Scottish road trip, and after a few palpitations caused by ferry cancellations we managed to make the whisky pilgrimage to Islay.

A great tasting experience at Bunnahabhain Warehouse 9, with four very different whiskies straight from the cask. The distillery itself is clearly all about the whisky rather than trying to appeal to the tourists with immaculately polished stills etc. Beautiful setting too across from the Paps of Jura. Came away with a Bunna 18yo (which apparently is actually full of 21 yo and therefore a bit of a 'bargain' at £120).

An earlier ferry meant we had time for a whistle stop tour of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. Top marks to Laphroiag for providing three generous drams including their cask strength 10yo and Cairdeas, to be enjoyed outside. Half a point for Lag for using small paper cups and no points for Ardbeg(!), although a decent steak and ale pie was had from their trailer.

A couple of decent tasters were offered at the very modern Ardnahoe (one month away from being able to legally sell their young spirit), but sadly we ran out of time to visit Kilchoman or Bruichladdich, although by then we were looking forward to hunkering down at the hotel to soak up the whisky over a few pints. Rounded the night off with a dram or two of Port Charlotte.

Snaps of Laphroaig, Bunna and the Paps, and a gratuitous shot of Glen Coe.

DSCF4048.jpg

DSCF4050.jpg

DSCF4095.jpg

DSCF4163.jpg

Back from our Scottish road trip, and after a few palpitations caused by ferry cancellations we managed to make the whisky pilgrimage to Islay.

A great tasting experience at Bunnahabhain Warehouse 9, with four very different whiskies straight from the cask. The distillery itself is clearly all about the whisky rather than trying to appeal to the tourists with immaculately polished stills etc. Beautiful setting too across from the Paps of Jura. Came away with a Bunna 18yo (which apparently is actually full of 21 yo and therefore a bit of a 'bargain' at £120).

An earlier ferry meant we had time for a whistle stop tour of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. Top marks to Laphroiag for providing three generous drams including their cask strength 10yo and Cairdeas, to be enjoyed outside. Half a point for Lag for using small paper cups and no points for Ardbeg(!), although a decent steak and ale pie was had from their trailer.

A couple of decent tasters were offered at the very modern Ardnahoe (one month away from being able to legally sell their young spirit), but sadly we ran out of time to visit Kilchoman or Bruichladdich, although by then we were looking forward to hunkering down at the hotel to soak up the whisky over a few pints. Rounded the night off with a dram or two of Port Charlotte.

Snaps of Laphroaig, Bunna and the Paps, and a gratuitous shot of Glen Coe.

DSCF4048.jpg

DSCF4050.jpg

DSCF4095.jpg

DSCF4163.jpg

Stunning pics and good write up re the distilleries... Shame that a few let the experience down...

Good going on the Bunna 18; it's one of my favourite drams

Anybody tried the Lakes whisky? Staying near Bassenthwaite ATM and the hotel has it behind the bar. Didn’t have a dram last night (beer then wine with dinner was plenty) but plan to try it this evening.

Stunning pics and good write up re the distilleries... Shame that a few let the experience down...

Good going on the Bunna 18; it's one of my favourite drams
Thanks, missing Islay already! Have now had a sample of the Bunna 18yo and it is indeed a lovely thing. Interestingly, my favourite dram in the warehouse tasting was a 16 yo (I think) matured in an Oloroso hogshead, which was a real sherry-bomb - something I didn't realise I liked. Must grab a bottle of Arran The Bodega..

Great idea amongst the online whisky community, and some interesting choices.
Long video but can skip through the categories

The 2021 Online Scotch Whisky Awards Nominations

On the Bunna Stiùireadair this evening...

It's in place of a hot toddie (or 6) :D I hate hot lemon and honey... And its a waste of whisky IMO

My body's decided that I've not been ill for ages, so after a 6 week bout of epididymitis, it's now decided I need a cold (immune system twatted by ofloxacin horse tablets) :mad:

So more training to be missed, which means more whisky ;)

Enjoyed the Lakes whisky. Not a huge amount of character, but fairly sweet without becoming cloying. Some depth, not unlike Penderyn in that respect perhaps. Not very peaty or earthy, but definitely good enough to drink neat. Probably not unlike a nice, richly flavoured lowland malt in some aspects.

Enjoyed the Lakes whisky. Not a huge amount of character, but fairly sweet without becoming cloying. Some depth, not unlike Penderyn in that respect perhaps. Not very peaty or earthy, but definitely good enough to drink neat. Probably not unlike a nice, richly flavoured lowland malt in some aspects.

I've heard a few folk say it's very much like Penderyn. Like it's trying too hard...

Puts me off TBH

I’m not sure it knows what it wants to be, yet. But I do think it’s a promising start. Worth trying a dram or two, even if you’re not ready to invest in a bottle yet. I think I’d prefer it to the Ledaig, for example. Whereas I think the Arran uses the Amarone notes to complement the whisky, I find the Ledaig relies a bit too much on the Rioja to give character.

advertisement

Back