advertisement

Yet another scammer

irb

pfm Member
So, these two auctions, here (KEF Reference 3 speakers £10,500 RRP), and here (a Rega/PMC etc system, totalling over £11K RRP), have high value items, located in Shetland, with a zero feedback seller and starting prices of 99p. Scam? Definitely.
It has to be said that the comments in the seller's description are not typical of scammers. They suggest basic knowledge of the speakers, at least. Nonetheless, if you live in Shetland and have over £20k worth of hifi to sell, you'd surely build up a little feedback first, and wouldn't start your auctions at 99p.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don't think this is a scam to be honest. Just someone who dosent use eBay thought they would sell their Hifi. Probably an older person who has no need for eBay previously.

The delivery times show it probably isn't a scam, as with value items, PayPal (or eBay Managed Payments) will hold the money until delivery anyway or three weeks on first sales/listings. Normally you have to get to at least 10+ sales on new accounts before money is released immediately. Most scammers, to get round this on new accounts put long delivery times of like 3 weeks + as PP would often release funds after three weeks (not sure on Managed Payments yet but I know they do have long holds), but this one dosen't, it has normal delivery times.

Anyhow, with eBay, you are protected anyway, so it's not really a risk if you do want to purchase.

Interesting to see how it works out..happy to be wrong, It'll be easy enough to spot after exchanging some emails with the seller, if one could be bothered.

Reactions: irb
I don't think this is a scam to be honest. Just someone who dosent use eBay thought they would sell their Hifi. Probably an older person who has no need for eBay.

The delivery times show it probably isn't a scam, as with value items, PayPal (or eBay Managed Payments) will hold the money until delivery anyway or three weeks on first sales/listings. Normally you have to get to at least 10+ sales on new accounts before money is released immediately. Most scammers, to get round this on new accounts put long delivery times of like 3 weeks + as PP would often release funds after three weeks, but this one dosen't, it has normal delivery times.
Anyhow, with eBay, you are protected anyway, so it's not really a risk if you do want to purchase.

You could be right. And if so, someone may get a decent buy, especially with the vinyl system. The question then is whether eBay's buyer protection is bulletproof?

You could be right. And if so, someone may get a decent buy, especially with the vinyl system. The question then is whether eBay's buyer protection is bulletproof?

Its very bullet proof for buyers, for sellers, it is as weak as a paper machete :)

Mmm, the two different carpets would be enough to make me do cash on collection only. If one was interested in them a c 500 mile trip to collect for less than the cost of shipping wouldn't put me off

A lot of scammers set up with an address in Shetland for precisely this reason. A Shetland address and low feedback is an immediate red flag to me. Obviously a bit unfortunate for any genuine individual living there.

This one could go either way actually. I guess a request for pics of the boxes for the speakers or the electronics would show a dealer destination label,not fool proof of course but adds to the picture. Not an unreasonable request to check if the goods will be shipped with the minimum level of protection.

Serial numbers would confirm the likely age if the items and I’m sure manufacturers like PMC and Rega would happily give an approximate date of manufacture without giving away any specific customer information.

The wallpaper in the Kef ad screams 80’s UK decor but that doesn’t mean the pic isn’t borrowed, and my personal favourite is check for mains sockets around the equipment to confirm they are actually UK 13a!

The main problem these days is with that fancy internet, people can buy from anywhere at the touch if a button. In days gone by the furthest north you’d find a Kef dealer is likely Inverness or Aberdeen so a “where did you buy it” could glean more info!

You could also introduce “my mate is an engineer for “.......” and he’s overdue to visit a processing plant or whatever on the island. He could he pop round on Monday night to check the gear out? That may be met with “make sure he brings a bottle” or “ damn I’m doing a sponsored power walk around the island that week and won’t be inland at any point”!

In fact an extended conversation via eBay chat will itself glean lots of info that will either start or stop the warning bells!

At the end of the day we’re happy with varying levels of risk, what’s yours?:D

So, these two auctions, here (KEF Reference 3 speakers £10,500 RRP), and here (a Rega/PMC etc system, totalling over £11K RRP), have high value items, located in Shetland, with a zero feedback seller and starting prices of 99p. Scam? Definitely.
It has to be said that the comments in the seller's description are not typical of scammers. They suggest basic knowledge of the speakers, at least. Nonetheless, if you live in Shetland and have over £20k worth of hifi to sell, you'd surely build up a little feedback first, and wouldn't start your auctions at 99p.
First discovered "Shetlands" on Craigs List
High value hifi at crazy low prices
Emailed and said I could collect
No reply
(No I wouldn't collect BTW)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
May or may not be a scam.

Zero feedback wouldn't put me off... Few years back I bought a pushbike from eBay from a zero feedback seller. I had initial conversations with her. It was someone emigrating. An utterly terrible advert and minimal description and zero feedback... I could tell from the pics it was a £1,000 bike...

I felt terrible collecting it as it went for a song in the end. I paid just over a hundred quid and she'd just paid £70 to have it serviced pre-sale. Actual value should have been about 5x what I paid.

Arrange a Zoom call where the seller can have a conversation and show you their kit with a nice view of shetland out the listening room window?

I tried asking the seller a couple of questions, including about collection in person. No answer after 48 hours. So I really do think this is what it looks like - a scam. (Plenty bidders willing to risk it, it seems: both auctions up around £1400 now.)

advertisement

Back