advertisement

Prince Charles

Harry is the ginger who wants to have his cake and eat it. William is his brother. Andrew is their creepy uncle. How did I do?
Harry is indeed ginger haired. Apart from that, if you are asking me I’m afraid I have no idea.

On the subject of everything bad contributed to him in this thread, isn't that what royalties always done?

Let's compare him to, let's say, Richard 'the lionheart' and everything pales.

On the subject of everything bad contributed to him in this thread, isn't that what royalties always done?

Let's compare him to, let's say, Richard 'the lionheart' and everything pales.

Richard was good to Robin Hood, who has Big Ears been good to?

Why don’t you just get rid of monarchy altogether?
A bit of dusting would certainly be useful. Kings and queens should really just be chess and playing card figures these days.
Prince Charles is of no political significance anyway, so yes, a figurehead he will be when QE2 finally kicks the bucket.

Why don’t you just get rid of monarchy altogether?

Well it is very difficult, nowadays. You used to chop off their heads or shoot them, and that was that. But you can't do that anymore, so they sort of linger forever, hang about, in and out of the tabloids all the time, set up charities or design furniture or underwear, write books, even. Maybe it is less trouble just keeping them.

A monarchy is a symbol of an immature democracy

I wouldn't disagree entirely, but the Belgians, Danes, Dutch, Norwegians Spanish and Swedes may have a different view.

In some ways we jumped the gun with Oliver Cromwell.

A monarchy symbolises a childish need to look up to an overlord.

A monarchy is a symbol of an immature democracy

Maybe, but at the moment, it's our Monarchy that plays a very significant role in keeping other countries wanting to remain engaged with us.

No Monarchy? Then your leader has meetings with the PM, Deputy PM and foreign secretary. How attractive to those outside the UK do you think that would look at the moment?

Maybe, but at the moment, it's our Monarchy that plays a very significant role in keeping other countries wanting to remain engaged with us.

No Monarchy? Then your leader has meetings with the PM, Deputy PM and foreign secretary. How attractive to those outside the UK do you think that would look at the moment?
Good point. Which I guess also makes Boris Johnson and populism another symptom of an immature democracy

Oh really? You think that Betty has much day-to-day interaction with any other government?

Very attractive! No need to dress up with medals and decorations, no need to sit through long boring lunches. A "President" is much easier to manage, and you can change him if he's no good.

The main problem in abolishing the UK monarchy is you'd have to re-name everything; Royal Opera House, Royal Navy, RAF, RCMP, RSPCC, RSPCA, Royal Mail, it goes on for ever!

Oh really? You think that Betty has much day-to-day interaction with any other government?

Go and look at footage of G7 this year and see who the foreign leaders spent more time with. Rightly or wrongly, they like to meet and be seen with the UK Royal family.

I wouldn't disagree entirely, but the Belgians, Danes, Dutch, Norwegians Spanish and Swedes may have a different view.

In some ways we jumped the gun with Oliver Cromwell.

I'm Swedish and agree on the 'not very democratic' view. The job as head of state is inherited is of course completely undemocratic. Still, 'our' King is quite a nice chap that arranges a historic car meet every year, attends and is happily photographed in front of them.

advertisement

Back