advertisement

CO2 crisis.

Pssst, want to buy some chicken guvnor?
iu

th.jpg

A pint? That's very nearly an armful!
sarcastic response, - because context is everything. Monumental difference in direction & aspect of problems between '400ppm C02 in the atmosphere', dreadful though that is - and 'a reliable source of 100% C02 at 300bar in bottles or liquid for a plethora of industrial uses.'

tl;dr

Response to OP: category error. It's not remotely 'ironic'.

We have been short at work for a while, use it to cool cycling ovens down to -55C in product test and calibration. Looks like more pain on the way for production. We have a tank that takes 14 tonnes (I think), but have already been running on bottles for weeks, which are in short supply.

th.jpg

A pint? That's very nearly an armful!
sarcastic response, - because context is everything. Monumental difference in direction & aspect of problems between '400ppm C02 in the atmosphere', dreadful though that is - and 'a reliable source of 100% C02 at 300bar in bottles or liquid for a plethora of industrial uses.'

tl;dr

Response to OP: category error. It's not remotely 'ironic'.

I don’t think so.
First we have too much and now we don’t have enough.
Perhaps you have American connections.
After all, they don’t understand irony.

40% of this country’s essential gas is dependent on a private American company that just shuts down because it’s not making money! You can’t blame that company; you just need to get out the silly mindset that everything can be left to ‘the market’.
Okay, it’s not essential like oxygen but it’s essential to the way we run the economy currently. So many things seem to be coming to a head at present…

Good Morning All,

Anybody able to comment that the fertiliser firms have made more money from selling their gas allotment into the market at peak price times? I suspect it may be internet misinformation but.......................

I know people on Octopus Agil Outgoing have been selling stored electricity in to the market between 1600 - 1900 when the wholesale price has gone north of £2,000MWh.

Regards

Richard

‘Stored electricity’?

Well, yes, sorta we've been doing it for years. We tend to convert it to kinetic, chemical or potential energy and then convert it back later when we need it.

With Octopus Outgoing, it tends to be mostly feed in from domestic electricity generation, so not stored, the stored bit is that which comes coming from smart domestic EV chargers.

It’s nitrous oxide the country could use at the moment. Boris is fulfilling his promise and quite literally dismantling Britain. I think a Ted Heath-era winter of discontent is on the cards and Johnson won’t be able to lie his way out of this one.

Oh, he will. He'll blame brown people and Europeans, and get away with it.

Good Morning All,

Anybody able to comment that the fertiliser firms have made more money from selling their gas allotment into the market at peak price times? I suspect it may be internet misinformation but.......................

I know people on Octopus Agil Outgoing have been selling stored electricity in to the market between 1600 - 1900 when the wholesale price has gone north of £2,000MWh.

Regards

Richard

Possible, N fertilizer is not available at the moment at any price, watch out for food prices next year. High protein flour for bread could be unviable.

Thank god for chicken poo! Ours are stunned electrically.

I can't understand why we rely heavily on one source of materials!! I have been involved in the chemical industry for a lifetime and there are many sources of CO2, brewing for one. Also in the day nitrogen was used for food packaging and came from the production of tonnage oxygen for many uses including metal smelting, life-support in NHS etc. Why on earth can this not be used in food production, humane slaughtering etc, it is a gas and can be easily transported so what has industry been doing by painting itself into a corner with one raw material and one producer. Thank god I am in Spain and don't need UK cheese, meat or other products but please learn lessons and get the various acts together. Merry Christmas, we will have turkey here, you might have to have Chinese ones!!

FF

Thatcher’s Big Bang October 1986, Boris Johnson’s Big Bang Sept 2021

I can't understand why we rely heavily on one source of materials!! I have been involved in the chemical industry for a lifetime and there are many sources of CO2, brewing for one. Also in the day nitrogen was used for food packaging and came from the production of tonnage oxygen for many uses including metal smelting, life-support in NHS etc. Why on earth can this not be used in food production, humane slaughtering etc, it is a gas and can be easily transported so what has industry been doing by painting itself into a corner with one raw material and one producer. Thank god I am in Spain and don't need UK cheese, meat or other products but please learn lessons and get the various acts together. Merry Christmas, we will have turkey here, you might have to have Chinese ones!!

FF

Because China decided it wanted to rule the world. I Look back to just a few years ago and everyone was doing wonderfully with interdependence and just in time supply lines. Now we are all looking to keep essential services and materials in-house or at least within reliable partners. Globalisation was always contentious but at least it held the idea up that the planet could work together, given time. Trade at first then the cooperation we will need on the likes of climate change etc. Now it back to Cold War sensibilities.

I looked up CM Fertilisers and of course they are American so BoJo is now subsidising them. Short sighted or what!!

Strangely enough I know the plant in Billingham and it is very old, more than 50 years when ICI owned it. There are better ways to make explosives (sorry fertilisers) and it confirms my view that Nitrogen is a much better gas to use for most purposes and CO2 from brewing is also available.

FF

I looked up CM Fertilisers and of course they are American so BoJo is now subsidising them. Short sighted or what!!

Strangely enough I know the plant in Billingham and it is very old, more than 50 years when ICI owned it. There are better ways to make explosives (sorry fertilisers) and it confirms my view that Nitrogen is a much better gas to use for most purposes and CO2 from brewing is also available.

FF
There are a number of technical reasons why CO2 is used instead of nitrogen. Don't imagine that it was decided on a whim.

Another company from "over there that's doing rather well over here." I'm sure if it was a UK company doing the same in the US they'd be sued into bankruptcy.

advertisement

Back