advertisement

What classic and beautiful turntable + tonearm + cartridge up to ~£1k?

A vote here for a Denon DP59L - fantastic deck, generally very little ever goes wrong with them, the arm is fantastic and all worked by magnets so no electronics on that to wear out. They can be got for reasonable money from Japan, of course you'll need to add the import duties etc. There's a guy in the USA on youtube who restores them, I think he's Capt Mark on youtube. Don't know if he would ship internationally. The way that arm works, it will play well with pretty much any cartridge.

EDIT - heres a link to his video on one.

TD125 + 3009 is a good shout given your requirements, although as far as the AoS one goes (no offence to seller if they’re reading) I think they look better with a plinth closer in size to the original, and £500 does sound a little steep. Hopefully some here will be able to advise on whether it would beat an early LP12, which you could get for the same money.

Thanks, I'm finding it difficult to put a finger on value on many of these tables - there is such wide variation, I'm sure for good reason, but am yet to piece the picture together, so your input is v valuable. I had also wondered this comparative side too (ie td125 + 3009 vs LP12 classic sound quality), but no doubt there are arguments both ways...

I don’t think you will go far wrong with either. LP12 probably ‘better’ but do you have a decent sized record collection or are you starting from scratch?

I have a heavily upgraded technics 1210 in my primary, so have a large collection to get me started... Though I take your point - I need to factor in the buying of vinyl in the genres I'm aiming at this system... (my primary mostly sees electronic)

Thanks, I'm finding it difficult to put a finger on value on many of these tables - there is such wide variation, I'm sure for good reason, but am yet to piece the picture together, so your input is v valuable. I had also wondered this comparative side too (ie td125 + 3009 vs LP12 classic sound quality), but no doubt there are arguments both ways...

I have a heavily upgraded technics 1210 in my primary, so have a large collection to get me started... Though I take your point - I need to factor in the buying of vinyl in the genres I'm aiming at this system... (my primary mostly sees electronic)
I would probably not even bother with a TT then, if you want to explore back catalogue jazz etc, get a CD player or something like an Innuos Zen Mini.

Yeah appreciate the point - but the second system already has Roon and Allo digione into an Audio Note DAC, so (as far as I'm concerned) is well covered on the pure digital front...
But, as with my primary system, I do believe nothing beats the feeling of "doing vinyl" when the mood takes...
Probably mad I know but definitely at least a few others here suffering the same affliction :)

I can’t disagree Mutty although visually I think they look both good and a talking point of design but I just have such fond memories with the ‘complement the acoustic/vocal/blues+jazz’ sought.

If it’s appropriate eye candy hard to argue against the Denon pic above or of course a Gyrodek. Looks are always so personal of course.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks so much for this - it ticked all the boxes. I called up Inspire Hifi straight after seeing your post. They seemed like great guys and really know what they're doing.

So easy decision - it'll be winging its way to me soon!
Cheers :)

You're welcome :) Robert is a lovely chap to deal with as well.

I quite liked the idea of it myself as a second t/t. Hope it meets your expectations.

The most beautiful turntable ....
gyro_se_gallery_-_2-640w_4000x.progressive.jpg

I really like the Gyro, but aesthetically it does need to be in the full case with lid. The perspex is a substantial part of the design and history back to Transcriptors and it just looks wrong naked to my eyes.

advertisement

Back