advertisement

Pics of your HackerNAP builds please

Puggie

pfm Member
So I'm undertaking a HackerNAP build. Would any/everyone consider sharing pictures of their builds for inspiration? I'm yet undecided on a casing. Probably leaning towards building monoblocks and was thinking something chrome bumper shoe-boxy in style, to keep with the Naimeyness inspiration of the build. Just looking for ideas at this point.

I also have a spare set of boards (JLCPCB manufacture) if anyone wants a set in exchange for a fair donation to the running of PFM.

Thanks

Have you started the build yet? I have boards but never got round to it. Do you have a current parts list for example?
But yes a photo how to or in build sequence would be amazing

I have boards,
Have you started the build yet? I have boards but never got round to it. Do you have a current parts list for example?
But yes a photo how to or in build sequence would be amazing

I have the boards, a current (I think) parts list and build manual. I'd be happy to document my build if people are interested.

Thanks Alan, is that a Modushop/HiFi2000 case?

is that a Modushop/HiFi2000 case?
Yes, I believe it's a Dissipante with steel panels (given the rim on the back panel). The steel ones are a bit cheaper than aluminum.

I go for all aluminum myself now, in case I want to mount things needing heatsinks on the panels. (I once made the mistake of using a their Pesante case with steel panels, and blew up one of my NCC200s.)

Last edited:
20210916_202408.jpg

20210916_202404.jpg

My build so far, hope to finish this weekend.

[QUOTE="Puggie,

Thanks Alan, is that a Modushop/HiFi2000 case?[/QUOTE]

Yes Panti Dissapanti all aluminium panels, same as I always buy.
The heat sinks on the modushop cases are excellent.
Alan

Hmmm. I noticed the bent edge on your back panel, which I've only seen with their steel/iron panels. The 3mm aluminum back panels are flat.

Ah the back panel?, could be as this case was previously used in an NCC-200 amp in 2008 maybe I did buy a steel backed one then ?
Still even a steel back, top and bottom panel of a Pesante-Disapante would have no effect on heat sinking as the amplifier output transistors would still be bolted to the side Aluminium heat sinks?, I have also used a Pesante for an NCC-200 with no problems as long as you bolt them to the alloy side panels.
Are you saying your NCC200 failed because you bolted the amplifier output transistors to a steel back panel of a Pesante case?
Alan

Ah the back panel?, could be as this case was previously used in an NCC-200 amp in 2008 maybe I did buy a steel backed one then ?
Still even a steel back, top and bottom panel of a Pesante-Disapante would have no effect on heat sinking as the amplifier output transistors would still be bolted to the side Aluminium heat sinks?, I have also used a Pesante for an NCC-200 with no problems as long as you bolt them to the alloy side panels.
Are you saying your NCC200 failed because you bolted the amplifier output transistors to a steel back panel of a Pesante case?
I mounted the C-channel heat spreaders to a larger slab of aluminum, then to the steel base panel of the Pesante case. Unfortunately, that didn't do a sufficient job of wicking the heat away from the transistors, and one of my NCC200 boards went into thermal overrun.

I learnt my lesson, and now I use aluminum for all sides, just in case I need to attach something that can get hot.

I'm hoping my small case will have enough heatsinking.
The boards are attached to a 6mm thick 100mmx200mm heat spreader, which is bolted to the outer aluminium extrusion.
I've also put TR5 under the board so much closer to the heatsink than in the usual position.
20210920_184820.jpg

20210920_184842.jpg

20210920_184926.jpg

I use those Alubos extrusions in other projects, they are great.

Currently parts hoarding for my build, component supplies are a bit of an arse at the moment, so much stuff on backorder with the usual suspects!

thanks for the input

I use those Alubos extrusions in other projects, they are great.

Currently parts hoarding for my build, component supplies are a bit of an arse at the moment, so much stuff on backorder with the usual suspects!

thanks for the input

I got the case from Lincoln bins, good price, and nice basic case,
it's a nightmare getting parts at the moment, everything is on backorder, I hear it's the wafer/fab factories are prioritising the stuff they are contracted to supply like automotive IC's.
we're facing shortages and price increases in the components for work too..
hopefully it will settle down in the next 6 months..
i have a horrible feeling a lot of the semi companies will take this crunch to review their slower moving products like the analog audio stuff and might discontinue it...
which would be a huge shame, but now such a small part of the market.

Yeah, I just buy that side extrusion from Lincoln Binns and cut the rest of the sheet work myself usually. its very neat stuff, Anodized black it looks super smart. I'm considering using the shorter version (as I have some) to do my monoblocks.

ah, good idea, I should in future just get the extrusions.
to be honest I ordered them expecting black, and was surprised when they arrived silver,
I forgot to specify!

Yeah, I just buy that side extrusion from Lincoln Binns and cut the rest of the sheet work myself usually. its very neat stuff, Anodized black it looks super smart. I'm considering using the shorter version (as I have some) to do my monoblocks.
I looked at Lincoln, and couldn't see the "just extrusion" option.

Any clues to help my poor eyesight?

(model name, link, part no...)

BugBear

I just rang them up asked for just the extrusion, they seemed fine selling it to me. I then get them anodised once I've cut everything etc.

So the general chip shortage has bitten me with these. I'm struggling for the output devices, the MJW21194G. Is there an accepted alternative, or 'upgrade' even for these? The only supplier that I trust (Rapid Electronics) who give a backorder date for delivery is mid March 2024!

Further struggles will no doubt ensue as a progress with my shopping (not done any 'big caps' yet). I think the rest of the transistors I have found, albeit some with a bit of a delay.

advertisement

Back