advertisement

Recommend me a wired keyboard please, for PC

I buy used HP KU-0316. You can pick them up for about £10 from eBay and they're as good as any other.
61O7fOpLNmL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

There is a PS2 version as well.

There are indeed a lot of choices out there. Do you have a budget in mind, and do you need any special features like assignable extra function keys, or the ability to easily control volume or other functions from the keyboard? That might help you narrow it down.

If it is just for typing, will you be using it all day or just occasionally? I use mine all day and for gaming at weekends, and prefer a keyboard with mechanical switches over a membrane or rubber dome keyboard. Mine is a Logitech G513, which has tactile switches (with a tiny ‘bump’ feel) and includes an excellent plush wrist rest, but is much quieter than other mechanical keyboards.

You might prefer something completely different though, and there’s nothing wrong with a basic Microsoft or Logitech keyboard.

If you fancy something more special though, and if you can get to a computer shop and try a few out that might help give you some ideas. Online retailers like Scan, CCL and Aria pc have lots of choices, many with reviews from users too. Curry’s might have stock you can try the feel of, but I wouldn’t buy from them personally.

I tend to stick to either Microsoft or Logitech. At the moment all our desk set-up in our houses have basic wired Microsoft ones, except for my sons gaming rig which has a Logitech keyboard.

My son says that the Apple magic keyboard has changed his life.

Think they’re about £50 second hand.

If you intend to type lots I can highly recommend an ergonomic one. I have a Perixx which look weird but cost about £40 and are so much more comfortable to type on. Eventually you will develop RSI from typing and using a normal mouse. Therefore an ergonomic keyboard and mouse are the way to go. I'd never go back, so much more comfortable to use.

I've been using an IBM "M" bought in a flea market about 20 years ago, and love it. Mind you, it helps if you have a PS/2 socket on your machine.

I'm using a Das Keyboard I bought around 2008. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it seems to be indestructible.

I've been using an IBM "M" bought in a flea market about 20 years ago, and love it. Mind you, it helps if you have a PS/2 socket on your machine.

I have one of those too but it sits as a spare because the letters are wearing off the keys and there's no windows key.

Used keyboards ? I find them particularly yucky.

The hp one mentioned earlier, which get the seal of approval from my kids for gaming, just remove the back then the whole top part of the keyboard can be cleaned with warm water, detergent and a paintbrush, in two minutes even the mankiest keyboard is as good as new.

If it is just for typing, will you be using it all day or just occasionally? I use mine all day and for gaming at weekends, and prefer a keyboard with mechanical switches over a membrane or rubber dome keyboard. Mine is a Logitech G513, which has tactile switches (with a tiny ‘bump’ feel) and includes an excellent plush wrist rest, but is much quieter than other mechanical keyboards.
Thanks for this recommendation. I’ve taken a punt on one. I’ve developed wrist pains from using my laptop keyboard too much while working from home. I have a bog standard Microsoft keyboard which is fine, but have been thinking about something better. This sounds like just what I had in mind.

Stick them in the dishwasher. No soap, leave to dry for 5 days minimum.

By extremely careful in terms of heat. I right royally knackered a dell keyboard (same as shown above in this thread) by washing the keys in too hotter water. It was not *that* hot but hot enough to discolour them permanently. Not a dishwasher though

I prefer a mechanical keyboard because they feel nice and annoy people so thats good.

Thanks for this recommendation. I’ve taken a punt on one. I’ve developed wrist pains from using my laptop keyboard too much while working from home. I have a bog standard Microsoft keyboard which is fine, but have been thinking about something better. This sounds like just what I had in mind.

Hi Sue, that's good to hear, I hope you like it!

If you're going to connect it to a laptop you should note that the braided cable splits into two USB plugs, one for the keys and one for the mouse which is then plugged into the back of the keyboard. This is fine for a tower pc with plenty of USB sockets but a bit of a stretch with my work laptop, which only has one USB on each side. If you have more than that it won't be a problem, but if space is tight you only need to plug in one of the USB's for the keyboard and you can connect the mouse separately, or continue to use the trackpad and buttons on the laptop.

It may take a little while to get used to but I find it much nicer and more comfortable than a basic keyboard for any length of time. Like garyi says, mechanical switch keyboards can be noisier than membrane versions, but the Logitech MX switches on these are very good and far less clacky than most.

advertisement

Back