advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I should have not used the term transmission, but it is correct in a wider sense. The more 12-15 year olds that are vaccinated, the less virus will be in circulation. There is an enormous amount of data supporting this for adults and at some point there will be conclusive data for 12-15 year olds.

One of the most important panel of experts in the UK is saying there’s considerable uncertainty, you’re not an expert, and you assert confidently that there will be conclusive data pointing in a certain way in the future.

Does anyone know the official definition of “hospitalisation” in the UK?
Count in this data item any person admitted in the last 24 hours who was known to be positive at
admission under confirmed COVID-19 patients

a confirmed COVID-19 patient is any patient admitted to the trust who has recently (ie in the last 14 days) tested positive for COVID-19 following a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...sites/2/2020/12/Publication-definitions-1.pdf

One of the most important panel of experts in the UK is saying there’s considerable uncertainty, you’re not an expert, and you assert confidently that there will be conclusive data in the future.
There will be conclusive data either way. I expect it to show that there is a big benefit, but I could be wrong, hence I said that there will be conclusive data in the future.

We need to be patient to see what is actually decided and then observe the outcomes. Currently we do not know for sure.

Oh the joy of it all! So my partner's 3 kids (early teens) want to be vaccinated. She wants them to be vaccinated. Her ex/their father is an anti-vaxer and doesn't want them to be vaccinated. They have pointed out to him that it is up to them so now he is saying (to them) that if they get vaccinated he's going to take legal action against their mother for 'brainwashing' them. My question is ... is there ever a time when physical violence can be justified? Not serious as I just keep away from him and don't interact for the kids' sakes, but it's bloody frustrating!

Does anyone know the official definition of “hospitalisation” in the UK?

AIUI, admitted to hospital and tested positive for Covid-19 in the previous 14 days, ie counts even if not the cause to go to hospital.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...sites/2/2020/12/Publication-definitions-1.pdf

 For all relevant data items: a confirmed COVID-19 patient is any patient admitted to the trust who has recently (ie in the last 14 days) tested positive for COVID-19 following a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.

So as the numbers of hospital attendees rises due to confidence returning in patients to do so, it is obvious that will contribute to the Covid-19 hospitalizations figure even if they are there for something else.

Cheers both, although I’m more interested in the definition of hospitalisation as such (or admission, I guess). Trying to gauge the seriousness of that fact by itself. If it means kept in overnight then my kids have never been hospitalised. If it means checked in and examined by someone they’re well into double figures, the klutzes.

11% of Israel kids who caught the virus now suffer from long covid.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/more-...o-got-virus-now-suffer-from-long-covid-study/

Aditionally, as I've posted previously, the threat of myocarditis is significantly greater from covid than from vaccination.

No mention of either yesterday, but I would think that the impact of long covid on education is far from trivial.
It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on human fertility. Traditionally, contagious diseases have controlled population growth by death but interfering with reproduction would be another string to the bow.

There will be conclusive data either way. I expect it to show that there is a big benefit, but I could be wrong, hence I said that there will be conclusive data in the future.

We need to be patient to see what is actually decided and then observe the outcomes. Currently we do not know for sure.

The CMOs say this:

On balance however, UK CMOs judge that it is likely vaccination will help
reduce transmission of COVID-19 in schools which are attended by children
and young people aged 12-15 years. COVID-19 is a disease which can be
very effectively transmitted by mass spreading events, especially with Delta
variant. Having a significant proportion of pupils vaccinated is likely to reduce
the probability
of such events which are likely to cause local outbreaks in, or
associated with, schools. They will also reduce the chance an individual child
gets COVID-19. This means vaccination is likely to reduce (but not eliminate)
education disruption.

notice how guarded it is -- I've bolded the important words, and contrast with the JCVI's comment, again I've bolded the quantifiers

There is considerable uncertainty regarding the impact of vaccination in children and young people on peer-to-peer transmission and transmission in the wider (highly vaccinated) population. Estimates from modelling vary substantially, and the committee is of the view that any impact on transmission may be relatively small, given the lower effectiveness of the vaccine against infection with the Delta variant.

They are not contradicting each other -- but only just!

Maybe my view is that if you live in a deprived area your kids should get vaccinated, because the impact of not attending school is more significant for them. If you live in a richer neighbourhood, it's not so clear!

The JCVI is divided and some of them are taking an ultra conservative position. We see that not just from the split vote but from the very narrow interpretion of their remit that I pointed out up thread. Their remit is very broad in actual fact. The CMOs are trying to tread a thin line hence the fig leaf of looking through a wider lens etc etc. The CMOs, rather than government, have now referred the matter of the second dose back to JCVI for a rethink.

It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on human fertility. Traditionally, contagious diseases have controlled population growth by death but interfering with reproduction would be another string to the bow.

Never mind the disease's effects:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56415248

"For those who thought that lockdown would leave couples with little else to do than procreate, there was a surprise - not a baby boom but a baby bust. Research shows that the US is facing the biggest slump in births in a century and in parts of Europe the decline is even steeper."

Never mind the disease's effects:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56415248

"For those who thought that lockdown would leave couples with little else to do than procreate, there was a surprise - not a baby boom but a baby bust. Research shows that the US is facing the biggest slump in births in a century and in parts of Europe the decline is even steeper."

It is thought that half of all newborns have had covid a doctor told the Education Select Committee last week...

Helpful Lancet paper offering an overview of the evidence regarding waning immunity, and of the arguments against general booster programs:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02046-8/fulltext?rss=yes

Concludes:

Thus, any decisions about the need for boosting or timing of boosting should be based on careful analyses of adequately controlled clinical or epidemiological data, or both, indicating a persistent and meaningful reduction in severe disease, with a benefit–risk evaluation that considers the number of severe cases that boosting would be expected to prevent, along with evidence about whether a specific boosting regimen is likely to be safe and effective against currently circulating variants. As more information becomes available, it may first provide evidence that boosting is needed in some subpopulations. However, these high-stakes decisions should be based on peer-reviewed and publicly available data and robust international scientific discussion.

The vaccines that are currently available are safe, effective, and save lives. The limited supply of these vaccines will save the most lives if made available to people who are at appreciable risk of serious disease and have not yet received any vaccine. Even if some gain can ultimately be obtained from boosting, it will not outweigh the benefits of providing initial protection to the unvaccinated. If vaccines are deployed where they would do the most good, they could hasten the end of the pandemic by inhibiting further evolution of variants. Indeed, WHO has called for a moratorium on boosting until the benefits of primary vaccination have been made available to more people around the world.
18 This is a compelling issue, particularly as the currently available evidence does not show the need for widespread use of booster vaccination in populations that have received an effective primary vaccination regimen.

They are not contradicting each other -- but only just!
They are both being very careful to not to commit to anything. Which suggests that the modelling continues to be very difficult.

Maybe my view is that if you live in a deprived area your kids should get vaccinated, because the impact of not attending school is more significant for them. If you live in a richer neighbourhood, it's not so clear!
Either it is a benefit or it isn't, if it is then it the vaccine should be offered (@gavreid has listed some other benefits for going ahead).

Javid confirms that boosters for over 50s and first doses 12-15s to go ahead as plan A and as a matter of urgency.

But there is also a plan B, he says, in cases the situation deteriorates.

He says plan B would involve:

• Communicating to the public urgently “the need for caution”
  • Making face masks compulsory in some settings
  • Requiring vaccine passports in some settings
  • Asking people to work from home.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08001fa2d19376#block-61408b568f08001fa2d19376

The full Autumn/Winter plan is here

Earlier in the press conference given by Lin and Van-Tam

Lim says a drop in effectiveness from 90% to 80% may not seem like much, but it could lead to a doubling in the number of people being admitted to hospital.

If they can protect the NHS, they will save lives, he says.

Van-Tam says by January protection will have waned further. But they don’t know by how much.

The brief from ministers has been to do the most possible to prevent deaths and illness from Covid, he says.

He says if there is going to be a storm, it is better to make your tent secure in advance. It is better to be pre-emptive, and to prepare and plan for the worst eventualities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08762d27630dfd#block-61407ec48f08762d27630dfd

Good Afternoon All,

I had an EM from Track & Trace yesterday advising I had come into contact with a COVID-19 positive person - what a PITA this is.

Followed the link and answered the questions to be told I didn't need to isolate and SHOULD (not must) get a test. Had planned to go out for a meal as a family yesterday evening to celebrate older son's 21st - cancelled obviously.

Contact employer as I'm flying to Schiphol today, - go for, yet another, private PCR - results negative. Kate goes to the NHS testing station at the same time (still waiting on that result).

Employer and I agree I have exempted status as a seafarer anyway.

UK government web site says I'm OK to go to Holland, Dutch government site says no I have to isolate for 10days until you burrow down and find that, as a seafarer we're exempt again.

How can I be told in an EM from T&T that I MUST isolate and then following the link and answering the questions I don't???

It's no wonder people have deleted the COVID-19 app.

Still there are a lot worse towns than Brielle to be staying in...........

Regards

Richard

FT reporting that the UK will mix and match booster vaccines.

The UK is preparing to become the first big country to administer “mix and match” coronavirus vaccines for its booster programme, according to senior government figures. Many Britons are expected to have a third, booster dose that is different to their first two jabs, on the basis that it would provide better protection against Covid-19, said the government insiders.

https://www.ft.com/content/a03b8c21-7412-460f-9196-8c41ac80c6eb

FT reporting that the UK will mix and match booster vaccines.

The UK is preparing to become the first big country to administer “mix and match” coronavirus vaccines for its booster programme, according to senior government figures. Many Britons are expected to have a third, booster dose that is different to their first two jabs, on the basis that it would provide better protection against Covid-19, said the government insiders.

https://www.ft.com/content/a03b8c21-7412-460f-9196-8c41ac80c6eb

Pfizer for everyone (while using up the remaining stock of Moderna it seems). Many Europeans will have received a Pfizer 2nd dose after the AZ "issues"...

If they can protect the NHS, they will save lives, he says.

There you go van Tam obviously read your bitchy comment and came to his friend's defence.

Gabriel Scally wrote a good opinion piece for the Observer yesterday. He makes a good point about how the Tories have changed the role of CMO and an indirect criticism of Whitty.

". . . This change helps to explain why preventive measures to halt Covid-19 have been inadequate and why the government response has frequently been orientated towards protecting the NHS rather than the population. . . ."

Either it is a benefit or it isn't, if it is then it the vaccine should be offered (@gavreid has listed some other benefits for going ahead).

Offering is one thing, accepting the offer is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back