advertisement

Is HiFi getting better ? Or stagnating?

What makes HiFi 'better'?

Music is much more easily available with streaming services, but if this is your main source it does mean you only become aware of the recordings 'the man in charge' wants you to be aware of. Years ago indie record shops (well some that i visited) would have a big stack of white label vinyl with hand written or stamped labels, this was the cheap short run singles of local bands and the like, and some of it was really good, no idea where I find that now. So in many ways the whole archive of Qobuz at my fingertips is better than my 80gb ipod classic which is better than the 3 tapes and my walkman I could get in my jeans pockets.
We now have HD which is IME a badging exercise, yes 24bit 192khz is lovely but show me a DAC that can actually resolve it, many recordings show up their deficiencies on redbook CD, I'm not convinced the digital resolution GENERALLY is the limiting factor here (yes there are awesome recordings that make it worth while, but they are the exception not the rule). I suspect the above streaming service will reduce the percentage of funds going to bands and record companies, and the recording quality will be the thing that suffers, just look at now studio costs have come down in the last 20-30 years, less money going in means less quality equipment and less talented people going into the industry, quality will suffer.

I think the lower end has definitely improved, a TPA 3116 class D chip amp takes virtually no power to make a pretty decent noise for very little outlay. There are quite a lot of decent lower end loudspeaker drivers now thanks to FEMM and Klippel, ergo cheaper loudspeakers have little (technical) reason to be rubbish. A Rega P1 is a surprisingly good playback device for the money.

No idea about high end because its out of my ballpark, but the ATC SCM100As we have at work that must be 25-30years old still sound awesome to me pn the end of the SSL and a good 2" tape playing, they do a nice job of CD as well.

I'm still mainly using c40 year old kit and quite happy with it. Partuclarly given that it largely comes with circuit diagrams, etc. Main exceptions being 'descendents' of the ESL63 and my choice of DACs to go with modern Linux boxes for playing files. And a DAP for when needed. Main changes in the last decade have been to digital capture as I got better ADCs.

I’m always a bit bemused by the advertising. It’s always “this is the product you must buy - it’s a massive improvement and the best thing we have ever done” or something like it.

As I’ve said before, if there had been a stream of continual improvements then how poor was hifi 60 years ago ?

I’m totally unconvinced that modern products are overall better than those made years ago. Some will sound good, others will be a disappointment - as always it’s what you hear that is important. I have no doubt that cost cutting is a factor as is the introduction of new technologies.

I would love to hear Tony’s Garrard / SME / Quad system. I suspect that this could be a real eye / ear opener. Progress since the 1950s ? Yes and no.

I replaced a couple well regarded integrated amps with Sonos Amps and they have transformed the way I listen to music so I would say it’s possible a special product comes along every once in awhile.

TBH in one way I feel audio has taken a sad step back. You can't get genuine Shure V15 new styli any more! Nor, so far as I can tell anything that really matches them as a new cartridge in terms of response, high compliance, low tip mass, etc.

I confess that I often sigh when I see response plots of modern MCs that have huge peaks at HF, often very different in sum and difference, etc. And no real info on tip mass or compliance.

TBH in one way I feel audio has taken a sad step back. You can't get genuine Shure V15 new styli any more! Nor, so far as I can tell anything that really matches them as a new cartridge in terms of response, high compliance, low tip mass, etc.

What arm do you use Jim? There are some lovely MM carts around at the upper levels these days, they just tend to be a little lower compliance (and also need a lower capacitance load) than the vintage Shures. I’m very happy with the Nagaoka MP-500 (which doesn’t seem to care about capacitance), and Audio Technica and others have some superb upper-level models too. Once you get to the micro-line, Shibata, Geiger tips, boron cantilevers etc I’d argue you were a level or two above the vintage Shures.

….in the 20 years I’ve been enjoying hifi I’ve noticed a gradual evolution, when it comes to improved sound quality. Cyrus, Naim, Luxman and Cambridge Audio have all impressed me with their upgraded amplification. However there’s no night and day improvement I can discern, just steady progression…
( Guess that’s the law of diminishing returns coming into play? Seems to be all little nips and tucks here and there.)

When it comes to streaming though, the sound quality improvements have been profound. I’m still bowled over by what a £30 Chromecast audio has brought to my listening sessions.
Also, friends have played me their dedicated streamers too and they are seriously impressive (not for me, as vinyl is my primary source) but if digital was my only source, I’d be looking at some of these amazing streamers out there and the way higher rates they can handle than a lowly chromecast.
Streaming technology is now so good that as music lovers we are now looking to the carriers to improve sound quality…come on Spotify? You’re the last piece in the jigsaw!…let’s have that CD quality promised lol! Tidal, Apple and all the others are delivering stunning sound quality now, a real joy.

I think the main place for mainstream HiFi manufacturers to go now is in the development and refinement of digital amplification and perhaps bluetooth, whilst our much beloved niche houses (likes of Rega, Linn, Harbeth, etc) just continue with their policy of constant improvement..

My comments about kit in the '70s

Garrard 401 rumbled, though you had to buy your own mounting, the SME option was too big and not really appropriate anyway.

The Shure V15 was an appalling sounding cartridge, so dull. ADC 10E Mk4 knocked it out of the water.

Quad 33 had very clever tone control/filters. But the CANCEL button improved the sound to a ridiculous amount.

ESLs had 3 feet and sat on the floor! Putting them on spiked stands improved things enormously.

Having said that once these issues had been addressed the sound was better than my present system.

What makes HiFi 'better'?
Room correction. Needs computing power unavailable until relatively recently.

My discovery of omnidirectional speakers and room correction resulted in a great leap forward which was never achieved in the previous 40 years of box swapping...

I would love to hear Tony’s Garrard / SME / Quad system. I suspect that this could be a real eye / ear opener. Progress since the 1950s ? Yes and no.

One thing I would argue to my death, the general sound quality of the RECORDINGS we listen to has declined since a peak ca 1959.

Haven't heard anything older when it comes to hardware, for several years, than my LS3/5a's and JBL 4331B's. There are improvement to those, but not big.

I'm massively generalising, but I feel some things get lost when component / design choices are based purely on spotlighting detail. For example, the ability to portray music as a coherent whole.
Yes, and in my case, I found myself 'downgrading' over time, from higher-fi to lower-fi-but-more-coherent by running vintage stuff.
One thing I would argue to my death, the general sound quality of the RECORDINGS we listen to has declined since a peak ca 1959.
This, I find is case by case. For instance in general, modern digital recordings of symphonic music sound much better to me. Amongst older recordings, it was sometimes great, but often not.

HiFi has evolved with increasing levels of resolution and clarity over the decades. It's seems a key way to sell more equipment, which is kind of important to manufacturers.

I'm massively generalising, but I feel some things get lost when component / design choices are based purely on spotlighting detail. For example, the ability to portray music as a coherent whole.

Many modern systems sound rhythmically stiff to me and the musicians lack the same sense of connection and synchronisation with one another.

It’s hard to generalise of course, but a lot of modern kit is kind of sterile sounding.

Sounds less like musicians playing music somehow.

It’s hard to generalise of course, but a lot of modern kit is kind of sterile sounding.
I suspect that its not just rock and pop music that gets the "autotune" etc cleanup. It's the little mistakes in older recordings that make the musicians human.

Haven't heard anything older when it comes to hardware, for several years, than my LS3/5a's and JBL 4331B's. There are improvement to those, but not big.

I find walking around hi-fi shows, when there were such things, pretty depressing. I know setup is invariably compromised and everything is too loud to cut over background chatter etc, but very few things even attempt to do what I love about really huge Tannoys or valve-driven nearfield minis. It’s all something else that after a while just starts to give me a headache! I’m positive there is a lot of really good stuff out there I’d love, and I could certainly make systems I’m sure I’d love with modern components if I hunted them down and was prepared to pay the asking price (Shindo, DeVore etc), but much of the time it just seems to be quite uninteresting from where I am these days.

Depends on how you define "better."

In some ways, sure - I'd say that on average, hifi offers more clarity/transparency/detail. In others, I'd agree that it's gotten more sterile/bleached sounding, which is not an advance to me. It seems to me that there's an aspect of modern hifi that can't see the forest of music for the trees of detail, etc.

Another huge difference, generalising a bit, is modern kit comes in massively expensive casework.
Let's take old Exposure for example, the pinnacle of excellent value, well thought out electronics inside a " biscuit tin ".
Then look at Chord or Mark Levinson, nuff said!

Be happy then that you never been to car stereo show. My God, just VERY LOUD noise.

Car audio has improved, btw, but maybe a bit OT.

Really? The 2002 Volvo V70 SE auto I just sold for £650 had the maxed out audio options and was the best car stereo I have ever heard in any car by quite some margin. My newer V70 may be far faster, but the stereo, whilst very good, pales in comparison.

My old speakers (40 years old) make detail in spades with period or even older electronics. And they produce a cavernous 3D stereo image too.
What I hear now is not always better, but brighter and above all more expensive. The high-end amps I see in Stereophile have unnecessarily expensive casework. Ridiculous and ugly, like the new Agostino stuff. What really matters is circuitry.
And it doesn’t have to be expensive to sound good!

You know, I was listening to an old (1967) B&O system yesterday and I thought, now that is music.
What else matters?

advertisement

Back