advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

Thank you for your comprehensive and fair answer.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as are we all.

The only thing I can say is that Derek Hughes is down in print as saying, when the Stirling V2 was released
the BBC said it met the specification for the LS3/5a.

Last edited:
Well, I had a great chat with Jerry at Falcon this morning, and the upshot is that I've ordered a pair of self-assembly Q7s with the Gold badge crossover and Tygan grilles. Apparently the Gold badge makes a big difference in sound quality over the original (he said that it was about 95% the same quality as the crossover in their Kingswood Warren special edition). He also said that they had been voiced with Tygan grilles, but that it only makes a small amount of difference at the top end, but I figured why cheap out for fifty quid when your in it for nearly one and a half grand! I should receive them in about two weeks.

I will. I had a great chat with Jerry. I specifically asked him what would I lose going from the Ls3 5a to the Q7, he replied 'nothing'. He said that you basically gain 2db of bass and that is the only difference in sound between the designs. The biggest differnce, he said, comes with the gold badge crossover, I can't remember all that he said, but the biggest improvements I remember him taking about were a much better decay of notes and more space around instruments.

‘More space around the instruments’ is what I first noticed when I set up the Stirling V3s.
Along with a subjective increase in the bass over previous LS3/5as and small Harbeths.
It would be very interesting to hear these Q7s in my own system.

Of course, the Stirlings use different drivers and crossovers, so the two models are unlikely to
sound similar.
Ah, the world of small speakers is fascinating...

Mind you, I am struggling to think of other small IB speakers from any country, other than ones under discussion.

I will. I had a great chat with Jerry. I specifically asked him what would I lose going from the Ls3 5a to the Q7, he replied 'nothing'. He said that you basically gain 2db of bass and that is the only difference in sound between the designs. The biggest differnce, he said, comes with the gold badge crossover, I can't remember all that he said, but the biggest improvements I remember him taking about were a much better decay of notes and more space around instruments.

Hi John,

how you getting on with them? Can you offer up a mini review?

thanks,

Phil.

Hi Phil,
Yes I can. They are sensational. I guess it’s part Q7 and part Falcon gold badge crossover, but they are seriously impressive speakers. They are quite a bit deeper than my LS3/5a in proportion and the quality of the cabinets and veneer is top notch. Obviously the bass is a lot stronger than my Rogers 15 ohms, but the shock came from the fact that the detail retrieval is significantly better than my LS3/5a and overall they sound to me like a speaker on a completely different level. They sound big, bold and authoritative but also subtle when needs be. I’m extremely happy I got them.

Hi Phil,
Yes I can. They are sensational. I guess it’s part Q7 and part Falcon gold badge crossover, but they are seriously impressive speakers. They are quite a bit deeper than my LS3/5a in proportion and the quality of the cabinets and veneer is top notch. Obviously the bass is a lot stronger than my Rogers 15 ohms, but the shock came from the fact that the detail retrieval is significantly better than my LS3/5a and overall they sound to me like a speaker on a completely different level. They sound big, bold and authoritative but also subtle when needs be. I’m extremely happy I got them.

A glowing review, glad you’re enjoying them, cheers.

Justify re-read my post and realised I was a bit verbose after a couple of drinks! Basically they’re like perfectly in-spec LS3/5a’s with added detail (probably due to the new crossover) and increased bass, due to the increased cabinet size, (and possibly also due to the new crossover).

I have never once even hinted that I don’t like Stirling speakers. My only issue with them is they aren’t LS3/5As, which they very clearly aren’t as they don’t use a T27 or B110.

Do you consider Falcon ls3/5a (non gold) a real ls3/5a? I mean afterall, they don't use T27 or B110. They simply name their drivers T27 and B110 and work towards making it as identical as T27 and B110 but ultimately, built from scratch and not really the original T27 and B110.

Do you consider Falcon ls3/5a (non gold) a real ls3/5a? I mean afterall, they don't use T27 or B110. They simply name their drivers T27 and B110 and work towards making it as identical as T27 and B110 but ultimately, built from scratch and not really the original T27 and B110.

Yes, as the Falcon T27 and B110 are exact recreations of the original model made under the direct supervision of their original Kef designer. Same materials, same construction techniques, same measured response etc. No change need be made to the crossover to accommodate them, e.g. I have a pair in my JR149s. As I understand it the only change is some adhesives have been very slightly altered in the hope they will stay to spec longer than the originals.

Another Q7/Gold Badge owner here.

I can attest its a fantastic speaker. Upgraded from a Harbeth P3ESR to this speaker, I would say the Q7 a few notches 'more audiophile'. More bass, details, more refinement. I don't have the Tygan grilles, as an early adopter they weren't available when I ordered mine.

Driving them with a Hegel H95 (dac + amp).

I'm also into DSP (I know, total heresy in the LS3/5A world, sorry ...) I use DiracLive and have spent too much time playing around with various curves. I have 2-3 I alternate between depending on source material. They respond very well to subtle EQ changes. Finally on this topic, I find Dirac's time-domain impulse response correction elevated them even more in my room.

Another Q7/Gold Badge owner here.

I can attest its a fantastic speaker. Upgraded from a Harbeth P3ESR to this speaker, I would say the Q7 a few notches 'more audiophile'. More bass, details, more refinement. I don't have the Tygan grilles, as an early adopter they weren't available when I ordered mine.

Driving them with a Hegel H95 (dac + amp).

I'm also into DSP (I know, total heresy in the LS3/5A world, sorry ...) I use DiracLive and have spent too much time playing around with various curves. I have 2-3 I alternate between depending on source material. They respond very well to subtle EQ changes. Finally on this topic, I find Dirac's time-domain impulse response correction elevated them even more in my room.

I just ordered Q7, Rosewood, Gold-badge, Tygan. I'll be running them with either my Hegel H80 or a Black Ice EL-34 amp I have on order.

My Stirling V3s are Rosewood.
Absolutely gorgeous.

Yes, Stirling has beautiful cabinets.

I wish Stirling had more of a presence (well, any presence, actually) in the U.S. No importer, no dealers. I told Doug 12 years ago he should sell direct. I've bought two pair of Falcons direct from England.

advertisement

Back