advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I got a pair of Balega socks as recommended by the shop. Much, much better than the 'sports' socks I'd been wearing previously.

Agreed - if you're getting blisters/sore patches, it's much more likely to be the socks than the shoes IMHO (unless the shoes are obviously too small/narrow). Worth experimenting.

Big day today, got my 50th Parkrun in. Managed to get a couple of weeks work trip to Sweden and they actually let me in, so went to Gothenburg Parkrun. Very welcoming and a really beautiful course. With a few hills of course.
Strangely, met and had a good chat with a guy who I recognised from my local Horsham parkrun, he moved over here in December. He was fastest here (16 mins something!!)..., as he always is at Horsham! Small world.
I took it at a very sedate pace and just soaked it in.

Last long run before the GNR, still bugged by niggling injuries. After my last Parkrun I twanged my arse, and then shortly after twanged a calf. Anyhow 15km done, 18 a few weeks ago. Legs’ll be sore but I’ll get round! Treating the GNR as a training run, will taper more for Manchester a fortnight later.

That’s fantastic @robs now you’ll have to buy the t-shirt!

Reactions: JTC
My running has tapered right off - work got in the way this week. Doing a 10k tomorrow morning at Milton Keynes festival of running, then the GNR next week. Hopefully I can get a couple in this week between the two.

He was 9th, but still a great result considering he had a spell of injury in the run-up. Didcha see wot I did there? ;)

I'm in the final throes of London Marathon training, just under 4 wks to go. The last few weeks of miles .. 61, 65, 68, 62. From my previously reported Parkrun return (22:32) I've gradually improved this over the last few weeks to 21:57, 21:47, 21:45, 21:37. Nice improvement graph but it will surely end eventually!
Robs.. I really enjoyed Gdynia Parkrun on a visit there, the overseas runs always feel like a bit of an adventure.
My V75 clubmate is still clocking around 22.50 for 5k, he is ageing well!

I've only gone and got a head cold. Currently above the neck and just annoyingly congested with a bit of a sore throat. Did a test 7.5k in the heat and nothing was untoward, hope it doesn't worsen. I'm on lots of fluids and fresh veg. Fingers crossed for GNR.

I've only gone and got a head cold. Currently above the neck and just annoyingly congested with a bit of a sore throat. Did a test 7.5k in the heat and nothing was untoward, hope it doesn't worsen. I'm on lots of fluids and fresh veg. Fingers crossed for GNR.

Try the cold remedies, you’ll be fine, won’t get drug tested. Seriously though, get a Covid test, or do a lateral flow, we’ve been told that cold like symptoms is often a symptom of delta. Take care, it’s bloody gutting when you’ve sweated buckets and stuff happens. Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: MJS
Thanks, I have a bucket of lateral flow tests and have been testing regularly (all negative). It's not great, not terrible this cold so keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck @lordsummit and @MJS for later! (And all GNR-ers!!)
Have a great day and enjoy!!

My training (half in a couple of weeks) has come to a crunching halt, having tested positive a few days after arriving in Sweden, I am now self isolating in hotel...though thankfully can go out for walks.
Thankfully symptoms are pretty much non existent for me,
not feeling much like running though.

Hope you feel better soon Rob. How are you @MJS ? Hope you’re ok. Up at 4:20 to get here didn’t feel ok, but I’ve survived. Off to see some friends of a friend starting, then lining up for the start.

Reactions: JTC
Edited - Huge congrats to both MJS and Lordy!!! Well done guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: MJS
The last 4K were the toughest for me. “But it’s not even a Parkrun” my brain was saying at the end, but my legs had turned to jelly by then and needed a couple of stretch breaks. I’m sure they designed it all to be uphill even though that is impossible! The atmosphere and the energy is totally amazing and totally worth it. A thoroughly enjoyable day. I’ve already been to the hotel spa but legs still don’t want to play.

advertisement

Back