advertisement

May Djokovic lose tonight.

Why do people hate on the super successful or wish them to lose. You don't become as good as Djokovic, Nadal or Federer by sitting on your arse, these guys put in tireless amounts of training, practice and effort. Their success is testament to the work they put in. This is the same in all walks of life. He deserves every bit of his success and I for one hope he succeeds this evening

Why do people hate on the super successful or wish them to lose. You don't become as good as Djokovic, Nadal or Federer by sitting on your arse, these guys put in tireless amounts of training, practice and effort. Their success is testament to the work they put in. This is the same in all walks of life. He deserves every bit of his success and I for one hope he succeeds this evening

See F1 thread for similar.

Erm, could it be that I wasn’t being that serious about it. A rant as if I were at the pub, to be precise.

It was Federer’s job to get there after classy Rod Laver. It’s not going to be. Give me Murray anytime, or Nadal if all else fails, but not Djoko. Just not.

Feel a bit sorry for Djoko. Federer is a consummate media operator, and I say that in admiration. While Nadal's broken English and wide smile was lovable. Djoko's clinical success just suffered in comparison.

I'm slightly baffled as to why anyone would care, unless they're related to, or manager of, the relevant player.

Feel a bit sorry for Djoko. Federer is a consummate media operator, and I say that in admiration. While Nadal's broken English and wide smile was lovable. Djoko's clinical success just suffered in comparison.
agreed, but he’s made some crass mistakes, especially in terms of Covid-19 management (Adria tour where lots of people fell ill). It’s his perfect right to be against vaccination, but a man in his position and influence should simply shut up.

On a more general note I have very little patience with public personae who openly speak against vaccination, especially if they have an important following.

I believe Novak is chasing another record; not the catch-up one with his peers but to have 4 slams in a calendar year. he's already done the 4 consecutive slams bit. My sister is going to deliberately not watch him today; she's held a grudge since he started. I heard mention on the radio news a couple of days back that he's going to either give up, change his modus operandi or sth drastic. Couldn't quite catch it.

First seed v second seed; my money's on Djoko but the Russian could well come second.

Not a great fan here. Much to admire, of course. He's an intelligent guy. But when he tears his shirt and beats his chest after winning, I can't help but see right-wing Serbians in the stands.

Djokovic looked dire in the Tokyo Olympics. Seeing his performance there, I honestly thought he wouldn't win another major.

when he tears his shirt and beats his chest after winning
Bit of a macho thing to do, indeed. But his tragedy is that if say Andre Agassi did exactly that same thing, the entire stadium would cheer.

John McEnroe was even more of an asshole than Djokovic and Agassi, but I liked him, I guess it was his touch, but it could just as well be something else difficult to explain.

He’s just not likeable as far as I’m concerned, however if he plays better than his opponent ( and doesn’t resort to his normal trick of taking a toilet break to re-group if the going gets tough ) then good luck to him.

I agree. I'd be disgusted with McEnroe's behaviour these days but back then I really liked the way he played. One of my wife's friends was a leading umpire on the tour. Agassi gave him a particularly hard time. Because he is gay.

advertisement

Back