advertisement

Another Ebay scam

Heard nothing till last week for a claim of non delivery. I thought I’d be fine, since there’s a 30 day limit for claims of non delivery on eBay.
Is it the case that had you downloaded and printed the Proof of Delivery, all your problems would have been avoided? That's a lesson for me, at least, for future selling.

We get loads at work, usually the same addresses time and time again. So I just put the postcodes on a filtered delivery list so the only post option they see is collection from our head office. That stopped it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
…same happened to me with a Rolex I listed on eBay. Payed for via PayPal and then a message from the purchaser about sending it to a different address than listed please, as he just moved? eBay then sent me a message instructing me that I’d been paid and to despatch the watch also.
I phoned eBay and they confirmed that I had zero protection if I despatched to any other address than that originally on the confirmation purchase notification.
eBay explained the bogus purchaser would claim for non-delivery and subsequently a full PayPal refund would be made too. So, goodbye watch. Lucky I was on the ball also and never despatched.
As an aside, when PayPal made the full refund to the buyer I was charged their fee, which was quite a few £100, despite me informing them there was a bogus payment in my PayPal account immediately I realised. It took a few weeks for them to concede and wipe the request for payment off…….real hassle scammers are!!

I was done for £500 as I allowed a buyer to collect from my home
3 days later a claim for unauthorised use of a paypal account
Live , Learn :(

Always put the tracking number into the item in eBay so it shows as delivered automatically. Or use eBay delivery and it does it for you.

Can you not remind them of this advice you received. It seems to me, if the scammer has exploited a loophole and you’ve lost out, despite following eBay’s advice, then eBay should side with you on this.

my guess is that the actual agreements to do with liability are really complex. It would be really simple if eBay had a 30 day limit, it didn’t get involved at all, let it go through other processes, the fact they do get involved futzes it’s up.

I think I'm right in saying that when collecting an item in person that eBay now send buyers a barcode which the seller is supposed to scan to prove the item has been collected by the intended recipient. In the above case that should surely put the onus firmly on eBay/PayPal to bare the cost as it at it them who would have been jumped not the seller.
I have my own tale of woe. I sold a Naim pre power combo in early April this year. It was collection only, but the winning bidder needed delivery to Orpington. I should have just cancelled the transaction then.

The buyer then tried to pay outside of eBay, I refused, called eBay and they said do not let them pay outside of eBay. So anyway he ended up sending cash by PayPal.

Then he wanted to use his own courier, I said no, and used parcelforce, with insurance, proof of delivery etc.

I shipped everything, remember this is early April. Heard nothing till last week for a claim of non delivery. I thought I’d be fine, since there’s a 30 day limit for claims of non delivery on eBay. What I didn’t now I’d that the similar limit on PayPal is 120 days. I thought not too bad, I can get proof of delivery from the parcelforce website, of course it’s too old a transaction to be available, and the insurance has expired too.

it’s also too late to leave negative feedback.

tomorrow 580 pounds is extracted from my bank account. I am steaming over this, and I will never sell on eBay again. A smart unscrupulous buyer can literally bend over a naive seller and spank their bottom to a nice rosy glow.

anyway, I feel better for writing this down.

Try contacting Parcelforce customer service as they might be able to trace the transaction from an email to you or the delivery address as they may well have access to older records that you cannot access from the internet and so allow you to prove delivery.

I feel your pain had several incident with ebay.

worst one was ebay delivery used, confirmed pick up scanned, scanned at delivery destination. Delivery destination was a collection hub. Despite buyer claiming he did not sign for item someone did, Ebay were hopeless, courier would not speak to me or the seller as contract for delivery was ebay. They refused to do anything until dispute was raised, my payment was with held at this point took 6 weeks to get my payment and no refund for either side for the courier charge.

I had a peculiar one where a guy from the Canaries won an item, then tried to dispute the posting costs as it was outside the global shipping list.He became so irritating that I cancelled the order with EBay’s backing. Then despite me altering it to UK only, he bid, won again and then tried to dispute the price. What a tit!
I gave it to the guy he outbid and he was a decent chap.
Some interesting buyers around.

Just had someone make an offer on some headphones, then when I accepted it, emailed to say he was going to buy a different pair instead. Very irritating, and shows an immature lack of responsibility, as far as I’m concerned.

Just had someone make an offer on some headphones, then when I accepted it, emailed to say he was going to buy a different pair instead. Very irritating, and shows an immature lack of responsibility, as far as I’m concerned.
Now imagine the same scenario with a house sale, as happened to Ms Canonman a few weeks ago

Minor heads-up, but there's an Ayon pre-amp on at the moment featuring pictures skimmed from a 14 year old source, and a seller that ignores all comms asking for real pics. Caveat emptor 'n' all that...

advertisement

Back